Thaumcraft 4 - Mana Bean Farm

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to come up with a way to maximize my mana bean farm. I was trying different levels and then I remembered the old solar well trick used with factorization mirrors. Since harvest golems by default will look in a 4 block radius, this same design with mirrors will work with a harvest golem harvesting mana beans. The furthest mana bean (not log block) is 4 blocks away from the center point. Since you end up with a 9x9 square of mana bean pods on the top layer, then a 1 block inset, until you reach a 3x3 platform at the bottom where the harvest golem is at.

This works out to ((9+7+5+3) + (7+5+3+1)) x 2 or 80 mana bean pods harvested by 1 standard harvest golem. My previous design had about 46 pods within the golem's range. The range on a gather golem is large enough, you should be able to put a chest off to one side and have it collect everything.

This isn't very pretty yet, but the design would be the same.

2014-01-18_13.34.54.png

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Found there was a lot of derpiness with the golem path finding using the above layout. Modified it to only use two sides at 9 wide and 4 levels. This gives 72 mana beans instead of 80, but the golem path finding is much improved.

But if he can look up then maybe he can also look down? So putting him with 4 below and 4 above will give more? Nice setup.. I will copy that in my base :)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you could have a full 9x9 slope of logs with the golem in the center of the beans. As long as every bean you have him harvest is within 4 block radius you are fine. Doing it that way will give you an 81 bean farm. (If he shares the block with a bean. )

You could make a larger farm with an advanced golem or adding an aqua upgrade, but not sure what the upgraded range would be.

Reactions: Padfoote

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you could have a full 9x9 slope of logs with the golem in the center of the beans. As long as every bean you have him harvest is within 4 block radius you are fine. Doing it that way will give you an 81 bean farm. (If he shares the block with a bean. )

You could make a larger farm with an advanced golem or adding an aqua upgrade, but not sure what the upgraded range would be.
Don't forget the tiny spectacles give a range upgrade too.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious, why farm Mana beans? What is the purpose?

I mainly use them for crucible crafting. It's the only way to get exact numbers for crafting without extra aspects left over. For example, the gatherer golem core uses 5 lucrum and 5 terra. If you use gold for the lucrum aspect, you end up with extra metallum, if you use phials, you end up with 3 extra aspects of each, since phials have 8 aspects each.

They are also useful for decanting some of the more rare aspects like alienis, aurum and vitium.

thebatfink

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, thanks for the image of your farm. I have a question.. How do you find the golums now harvesting? I find they get stuck on beans at floor level ie the same height as themselves (granted my initial layout is not the same as this though). Its almost like they are trying to path find through the bean as if the block the bean is in is empty space?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
In 4.1, they do seem to get stuck occasionally, where they didn't before the update. Right now, I just visit my farm on occasion and knock him off as needed. My alchemy golem does the same thing, but get stuck at the top of stairs about 2 blocks away from his home.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Okay, how about this for a derp question.

How do you plant the mana beans in the first place? I've tried placing them on all different kinds of wood but it keeps on wanting me to eat them instead of place them on the log.. Help?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Son of a..... Strange, I couldn't find that little tidbit of info anywhere LOL Lucky for me I have a Magical Forest right next to my place :)

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
If you didn't you can create now by planting silverwood trees as they have a chance of growing pure node it will convert any bio into magical forest.

akumaduma

Jul 29, 2019
Really love this, thank you for sharing. :cool: Here's my adaptation, using two golems + ender chest -> filing cabinet. So far, it's run perfectly.

Attachments

• 2014-04-27_14.19.jpg
    2014-04-27_14.19.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 413
Reactions: Padfoote