Opis Map Writer

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
I have just started using the direwolf20 1.6.4 pack which includes Opis Map writer and I have noticed something which I don't know if it is a bug or something else.

I am the sort of person that when I create a world I tend to run around, like most people I assume, and look for a suitable place to setup shop and if I don't find somewhere I like I usually just delete the world and start again.

So the problem is that if you delete the world then create a new one with the same name when you get into the new world the map has everything you discovered from the previous world still there. If you do this multiple times then you have a pretty screwed up map.

To stop this I deleted the "map writer sp worlds" folder from inside the saves folder.

xSeaBiscuit

Jul 29, 2019
This is intended, how else would the mini map be able to render the same when you log back into your world?

xSeaBiscuit

Jul 29, 2019
I know, but it had the same name. Opis doesn't override the existing mappings, but rather keeps the old one. Only way to fix this is name your world something else or delete those mapping every time you plan on loading a world w/ the same name.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Ok it seems strange that if you delete your world that it still keeps the map data. Oh well I suppose I will just delete the data then.

DeathGoth

Jul 29, 2019
It works kinda like Dynmap does for server(Not sure if Dynmap is SSP) anyway what it does it it takes pictures of the world... then it saves the image in a file.. So when you delete your world the images are stored elsewhere(I am using voxelmap so I am not sure cause I didnt like this mapping prgm.) the images are still there, they should delete like dynmap does considering there is an update..

What you can do look in your mc folder for a file called map writer and see if there are images there, if there is delete them and then it should start a new world basically for the mapping of the prgm.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
This is intended, how else would the mini map be able to render the same when you log back into your world?

wouldn't it be possible for these mods to actually write the data to a folder named after the numerical seed rather then the world name?

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
It works kinda like Dynmap does for server(Not sure if Dynmap is SSP) anyway what it does it it takes pictures of the world... then it saves the image in a file.. So when you delete your world the images are stored elsewhere(I am using voxelmap so I am not sure cause I didnt like this mapping prgm.) the images are still there, they should delete like dynmap does considering there is an update..

What you can do look in your mc folder for a file called map writer and see if there are images there, if there is delete them and then it should start a new world basically for the mapping of the prgm.

There is a folder inside your saves called "mapwriter sp worlds" and if you delete that you will have a fresh map but seems strange that if you delete the world the map data from previous ones are still there because if you delete a world that is it it's gone.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Changelog from Mapwriter 2.0.14
  • Improved underground map mode, smoother updating, shading for regions too far below position, circular update area around player.
  • Added key bind for underground mode ("U" by default).
  • Added config file options regionFileOutputEnabledSP and regionFileOutputEnabledMP for disabling region file (MCA file) output in single player and multiplayer respectively.
The bolded part is from interest here. Hopefully Prof includes this in Opis later on as it would certainly prevent this issue and probably improve memory usage as well.

Last edited: