Automatically extracting cobble when there is too much in the ME Network

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Terraken

Jul 29, 2019
Ummm...How do I make a system where cobblestone and dirt is extracted from my ME Network when there is over a certain amount? I have a quarry running almost all the time so I need a way to extract the excess cobblestone and recycle it.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Ummm...How do I make a system where cobblestone and dirt is extracted from my ME Network when there is over a certain amount? I have a quarry running almost all the time so I need a way to extract the excess cobblestone and recycle it.

using priorities? use the main cobble storage as the first priority, and an item clearing block as the second priority

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could use a level emitter controlling a precision export bus. The only disadvantage is that you need to do this for every material which you want to regulate and this takes quite a few blocks.

Cory Morgan

Jul 29, 2019
ME Export bus into a trash can (assuming you have Extra Utilities installed) then have a ME level emitter set to output once you have over a certain amount (i believe the max you can set it to is 4096).

Terraken

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Direwolf 1.5 which has extra utilities. I'll try the level emitter with the export bus and see if it works. I was planning to put all of my excess cobblestone into a recycler.

P46EY

Jul 29, 2019
Level emitter works a treat... Ive used it in builds before to maintain a certain amount of items in storage (iron,coal,charcoal etc etc) and then export anything above that for processing such as steel or into boilers. Basically just use a level emitter along with dark cable in the line to the blocks you want to send the excess to.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
the level emmitter trick into a deep storage unit, then if your ME system gets to low, visa versa to pull them out with level emiters

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm pretty sure that soon you will have many more items which you want to get rid of, and then the level emitter solutions is just too big/confusing.

I made an explanation of my favourite setup in this thread:
Ender Chest to Recycler

Reactions: Larmonade

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
My solution is to use an export bus with a certain limit on it. When the system has above say... 10k cobble, send to recyclers. You can have either multiple recyclers, each with its own import bus with the same settings, or have one that is upgraded. It depends on how much energy you produce vs. how many resources you have. You could always transition from one to the other as well.

Another way is to use MFR DSUs. 2 billion of a singular item, so essentially an infinite (by all intensive purposes) barrel. DSUs are also programmed to interface with AE storage buses and will interact with AE in a convenient way, should you choose the MFR route.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
My solution is to use an export bus with a certain limit on it. When the system has above say... 10k cobble, send to recyclers. You can have either multiple recyclers, each with its own import bus with the same settings, or have one that is upgraded. It depends on how much energy you produce vs. how many resources you have. You could always transition from one to the other as well.

Another way is to use MFR DSUs. 2 billion of a singular item, so essentially an infinite (by all intensive purposes) barrel. DSUs are also programmed to interface with AE storage buses and will interact with AE in a convenient way, should you choose the MFR route.

How are you setting an item quantity filter on an export bus? You mean you set the 10k cobble limit on a level emitter that is connected to a export bus right?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, totally forgot about that.

Alternatively, you can have a limited storage (like a 4k disk, or a barrel) that is preformatted/attached to your main system. When that fills up, you have the rest of the cobble sent to a separate storage that is feed into recyclers.

It is a bit more involved, and I believe you do have to set priorities. This is what Google turned up:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/applied-energistics-priority.18907/

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, totally forgot about that.

Alternatively, you can have a limited storage (like a 4k disk, or a barrel) that is preformatted/attached to your main system. When that fills up, you have the rest of the cobble sent to a separate storage that is feed into recyclers.

It is a bit more involved, and I believe you do have to set priorities. This is what Google turned up:

Preformatted drives dedicated to a single material is probably the best way when you want to set limits on more than 1 resource. Otherwise, i've found no way around having to build 10-20 level emitters connected to 10-20 different export buses and 10-20 different recyclers when wanting to limit 10-20 materials. :p Also seems inefficient since then you'd have many recyclers always sitting idle. What I did on my old server was dedicate 1 overclocked recycler for each material I wanted to void. Definitely going to go the preformatted drive route this time around.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Sure that works as long as all you need to recycle is cobble. But soon you need a setup for dirt, and one for sand, sandstone, gravel. Atm I am recycling more than 90 unique items.

->
I'm pretty sure that soon you will have many more items which you want to get rid of, and then the level emitter solutions is just too big/confusing.

I made an explanation of my favourite setup in this thread:
Ender Chest to Recycler
->
For those who apparently dont bother following the link: :p
If you have multiple recyclers you could also use 2 routers. One router extracting items from Enderchest and ejecting it into other router. Second router then inserting into top of Recyclers.
Or you could put a router on top of every Recycler extracting from enderchest and ejecting down(This is what I usually use, higher bandwith to handle peak influx of cobble etc.). Instead of an enderchest I just use a normal chest with an ME storage bus on. I set the priority of the storage bus lower than the storage discs, so that system first fills up my preformatted disc, and once its full recycles rest. I can control which items are allowed to "overflow" into recyclers by adding them to the storage bus. Anything not preformatted on storage discs or in recyclers storage bus will then go to one of several non-formatted discs.

Drives with preforatted storage discs: Priority 10
Storage bus for recyclers: Priority 9
Me chests with non-formatted discs: 2-8
Never use priority 1, since I that way ensure nothing is filled into a newly added storage device before I can set priority.

Bank of 6 recyclers:
yGpQdvL.jpg
Theres actually 2 storage bus on my Obsidian chest. One normal for cobble etc. and one fuzzy for damaged bows, armor etc. Both priority 9.

GAvsUXf.png
All the ME drives are priority 10 and only hold preformatted discs.
The 3 ME Chests hold unformatted discs with priority 4,3,2. Left chest then fills up with random junk first, then second etc.
The drives that are glowing red are actually full and any new added item of that kind is then recycled.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The storage bus/priority method overcomes that waste of materials. I am not sure how priorities work, but if they function the way I imagine, it should be easy.

A storage bus can be formatted to contain multiple items. Just attach it to a chest, such that it can accept multiple types of items, rather than a singular type. In the formatting, set the priorities on the recycler input chest as 2nd to any main storage that you have in your AE system.

i.e. Main storage - 1st, Recycler chest - 2nd.

Alternatively you could set up a separate AE system (i.e. subnet) and output all those items into a separate drive/chest. From there you can do whatever you want with those items and maintain the absolute flexibility that AE provides.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Why won't AE add more slots in the level limiter, if only we could set one to like 5k and put ~10 types in it. :(
Because when one item reaches the limit, the export bus controlled by the emitter would start moving all the different items(Prioritizing the first item on the list first, potentially emptying your inventory of all 9 types of items before starting on the one who actually got over the limit).
You would need some new mechanic to replace the redstone signal in order to actually indicate which item you would want moved. Possible use colour coding from Computercraft. And then we are talking something much more advanced.

Last edited: