Bee Breeding Thread.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
They can't be used in an Alveary. The frames were added as a way to nerf apiaries on servers. Basically, apiaries had their productions reduced by 50% (someone correct me if the numbers are wrong), but with frames, they get closer to what they used to be pre-nerf. Untreated -> Impregnated -> Proven. Each level improving the production by some % more than the one before it. As mentioned, Proven are only from villagers. Alvearies on the other hand, function as if they have better than Proven Frames already integrated.

Different frames do not improve production, they just last longer.

For improving bees just breed in what you want, then work it back to pure bred.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Here are my current setups, nothing really new (except getting selected bee out of the system), but maybe someone will find it interesting. First there is main production line with purebreads:
nIxNf.png

It is mirrored on the other side (I should add more signs), light on indicate, that there is no frame. Here is the view from the basement:
EQ7NK.png

Overall principle is the same, as explained in my post in other thread. Gates are iron autarchic, with two conditions: items in inventory -> energy pulsar, no frames -> redstone signal.
Overview of the processing area:
JdqIh.png

I'm just starting to make alvearies. And what is this thing in the corner with weird facade?:

jZC87.png

View from the bottom, this chest is irrevelant(just temporary thing for some cultivated drones I needed):

mGLa1.png

Well, you can select type of the bee in the apiarist pipe hidden behind this facade and insert princess into the apiary. After some time these princess will become purebread of selected type and will be delivered to chest. In hindsight I should connect princess insertion to the hopper, so I could convert up to 5 princess at the time.

Here is my breading room, equipped with 2 purebread replicators:

i5uqp.png

It is quite simple, bees from 2 outer apiaries are replicated in 6 inner (3 for one outer apiary). when lever (red pipe wire) is active. If I want to bread some traits in, I just put a bee with this trait in one apiary, bee to transfer trait into other, put 6 princesses (any suitable for normal condition) and flip the levers to run breading. After I have 3 pairs of princess/drone each of these species, I just cross combine them two times (after one breading these new bees, if no mutation can happen, all the bees will be practically identical, only which gene is active can differ). Then I just select the best outcome and bread it further, although often some more manual refining is needed. Currently I have fast nocturnal cave flyer cultivated and the same imperial.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
The levels of the frames just change their durability, production with frames is
0 Frame 20% of pre-nerf
1 Frame I think 40% of pre-nerf
2 frames I think 60% of pre-nerf
3 frames 80% of pre-nerf

jimagine

Jul 29, 2019
I can't wait until the extra bees pack is added. I really want to try an electric bees and lightning rods combo.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
i have a question about reddened drops what do they do because if i put them in an centrifuge it will do nothing
Reddened, Darkened and Omega are remnants from the FTB challenge pack (from 1.2.5). They were made to generate EMC with EE2. Sengir never removed them.

Nari7777

Jul 29, 2019
Ever wondered how to make Ice Shards, and Crushed Ice for Combustine Engine?

Now i found that bastard :D Its called Icy Bee (some of you know them as Glacial Bees), the combination is: Wintry Princess + Industrious Drone (better chances with pure)

Screenshot:
2012-12-13_13.15.43.png

EDIT: Hmm... Glacial still exists, i am a bit confused :)
2012-12-13_13.39.57.png

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
The mystery rages on! will the valiant members of the bee breeding thread ever get to the bottom of the mysterious glacial bee, or will we be lost forever in an Icy tundra! Stay tuned for next episode whenever someone posts!~

Nari7777

Jul 29, 2019
No, its solved. Wintry princess + industrious drone = Icy Bee, and then Icy Princess + Wintry drone = Glacial. I have now a pure breed, so cool ^^ And its the last one of the frozen branch, but both icy and glacial can produce ice shard.

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
The levels of the frames just change their durability, production with frames is
0 Frame 20% of pre-nerf
1 Frame I think 40% of pre-nerf
2 frames I think 60% of pre-nerf
3 frames 80% of pre-nerf
This is almost right. An apiairy will run at 10% normal speed with no frames, from there each frame adds 20%. So the first frame would be a total of 30%, second 50%, third 70%. 70% is the highest production an apiairy can go while an Alveary automatically runs at 100% Seguir nerfed it because people could play for a few hours and have chests filled with honeycombs among other reasons.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Just a little warning to the newer bee breeders: don't settle in an icy wasteland for the glacial bees. The humidity in that area is Arid. Meaning your ice bees won't be functional there without you giving them a good tolerance. Noticed it when I tried to breed my bees in my ExtraBiomeXL biome :(

AuXDubz

Jul 29, 2019
Ever wondered how to make Ice Shards, and Crushed Ice for Combustine Engine?

Now i found that bastard :D Its called Icy Bee (some of you know them as Glacial Bees), the combination is: Wintry Princess + Industrious Drone (better chances with pure)

Screenshot:
View attachment 511

EDIT: Hmm... Glacial still exists, i am a bit confused :)
View attachment 512
I would love to get into doing bees, how confusing are they?, they look it

Josh

Jul 29, 2019
So has anyone attempted to use Logipipes in their bee breeding system. I have gotten to work just fine for sorting/auto analyzing and keeping my purebreeds working but Nothing past that. Anyone have a set up for breeding target traits?

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have logistic pipes... I can't imagine they wouldn't work though, albeit apiarists are easy enough

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, and if you want a new bee in yout lifetime, then you have to breed quite a lot bee. Like 20 bees in one time.
That's not particularly true.. It might take you a few breeding attempts, but you really don't need that many running at once time. I never have more than 3 "breeding cells" for my bees. I usually have 3 10x10 for pure bred (that i purified to my liking.. like beatific nether bees with fast worker and long life). To get the "perfect" bees, that can take you a long time unless you're very lucky, but the actual mutations are pretty simple once you get the basics of it.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Where does the long life come from?

I've gotten fast and have been breeding pures with it and accumulating drones to spread it to other strains but the best life I have ever found is short.
I know it's mostly random but I would think some are more prone to have it.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I thought, that longer lifespan was the highest. (Austere, Demonic, Edenic, and Ender, if I'm not mistaken.)