Forum update 7/11/13

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, seriously.... "Give us back the old colors" is not gonna help anything. As already been said, the previous theme is no longer avail. Provide examples of how you'd like it to look or wait for the dark theme. (which is what I'm doing unless someone comes up with a stylish theme)

The GameVox logo is really hard to see now too. Maybe it needs a border?

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, seriously.... "Give us back the old colors" is not gonna help anything. As already been said, the previous theme is no longer avail. Provide examples of how you'd like it to look or wait for the dark theme. (which is what I'm doing unless someone comes up with a stylish theme)

where do you even go to change the theme if i may ask?

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
This definitely needs some tweaking--I think the red needs to be darker, particularly on the buttons. Also, we need SOME more contrast--even a very very light shade of red in certain areas would be better than just pure white. I'm also thinking we need a contrasting accent color--the old theme had white and orange, but it also had an accent color of dark gray/black. We could definitely use one here. ;)

Also, the buttons in the text editor need work--they should either be rounded or square. At the moment, they look like they're trying to do both, but...well...it's...it's not working out. :p

Also, why do we have a serif font as default now? It looks...strange. I prefer non-serif fonts online, especially for sites that are going for a cleaner look. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing--is there any particular reason the address for the forum changed from "forum.feed-the-beast.com/forum" to "forum.feed-the-beast.com/forums"? Because it's broken half of my bookmarks. :p
Agreed, it was always going to need tweaking and everyone was always going to hate it at first, thats normal when changing theme, I'm trying to implement as much of the requests as I can but I'm going to have to sleep now. I would add some darker elements but I can't really find anywhere that looks right. The text editor does need work, its basically default right now with our colors on. I fixed the default message font but I need to update that in the text editor as well. I also fixed the broken URL's bookmarks work again :)

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019

I'll be getting a new logo from them and 100% agreed, if you're just gonna say "It's to bright" it does not help me in the slightest because I don't know what I can do to fix that

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, it was always going to need tweaking and everyone was always going to hate it at first, thats normal when changing theme, I'm trying to implement as much of the requests as I can but I'm going to have to sleep now. I would add some darker elements but I can't really find anywhere that looks right. The text editor does need work, its basically default right now with our colors on. I fixed the default message font but I need to update that in the text editor as well. I also fixed the broken URL's bookmarks work again :)
Rolling out a theme that people had adverse reactions to prior to implementing it was not a good idea.
We already requested a darker theme prior to you choosing this one. You could have had both available instead of sticking us with just one harsh-colored theme.

Reactions: Marcel van Dongen

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You can't right now.

This right here.

The first thing I did was look to set it to anything else. But yes there are zero options for changing theme.

What should we change or give an option for?

How about ANYTHING but a bright white background for start.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I can't just click the big FTB Forums to skip past the news section. It now just refreshes the front page news. I liked that feature...
And I can't see the drop down menu for the sponsors in the top right. You have to mouse over it to get the dropdown. A new user won't know there's more up there without mousing over.
Heh the drop down arrow disappeared somehow, I'll look into it and the ftb logo is supposed to link to /forum I'll fix that as well
I also fixed the more messages have been posted message thingy

Reactions: Ashzification

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Rolling out a theme that people had adverse reactions to prior to implementing it was not a good idea.
We already requested a darker theme prior to you choosing this one. You could have had both available instead of sticking us with just one harsh-colored theme.
The only reason I didn't hold out was because I thought getting tech support done was more important *facepalm*

Reactions: Henry Link

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
you want a them that we like
im fine with this but
the white needs to be toned down to a grey
red needs to be the same shade of orange as it once was give us that and we'll shut up.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason I didn't hold out was because I thought getting tech support done was more important *facepalm*
As someone with frequent migraines and very sensitive eyes, I'd prefer to be able to work in an area than need to leave until I can look at the screen again.

Changes I need to see happen before I can look at the forums without a head-splitting headache:

4fRpzIV.png

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
the light grey border accent needs to be a bit darker.
as it is its nearly indistinguishable from the white text fields.
this would also make the gamevox logo stand out better.

the delineation between main text and signature could be clearer/darker.
same problem as above: it blends in too well if youre not actually looking at that line.

everything that's red needs to be a somewhat deeper shade of red- it looks pink.
I personally like the shade of red used on youtube, or most of a pringles can.

basically, the way it is now, reds look pink, light grey is too light, and the grey used in the like box is perfect.
a slight contrast increase might be in order.

since im using a laptop, I can make everything look darker by tilting the screen back. tilting it about 45 degrees past vertical greatly improves the look.
hope that helps.

also, could you make the default avatar image something not solely grey?

Last edited:

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
As someone with frequent migraines and very sensitive eyes, I'd prefer to be able to work in an area than need to leave until I can look at the screen again.

Changes I need to see happen before I can look at the forums without a head-splitting headache:

I am in the same boat.

I also would just prerefer any sort of off white over pure white if I can throw my 2 cents here.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I've just had a check on the old theme and its actually not that different: http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png I believe the difference is the forum now fills peoples whole screens due to the responsive design and therefore more of the screen is white. The outer area is offwhite on this theme whereas it was dark grey on the old one but the content area which I assume is the area people are saying is too bright was actually the same

http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png

The problem with the new one is lack of contrast in my opinion. In the last theme there was the darker orange to offset the brightness, and the border was black.
In this version of the forum themes, the entire screen is shining at you, whilst not a lot more, it's enough to make it feel extremely bright.

The mind plays tricks out of proportion to what has changed.

I'm in support of changing the white to something a shade darker, and/or adding in more contrast to the screen by darkening in some colours of the theme, or adding a new darker colour somewhere

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I've just had a check on the old theme and its actually not that different: http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png I believe the difference is the forum now fills peoples whole screens due to the responsive design and therefore more of the screen is white. The outer area is offwhite on this theme whereas it was dark grey on the old one but the content area which I assume is the area people are saying is too bright was actually the same

http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png

You do realize that having a full screen of white is in all ways brighter then not having a full screen of white. Like it literally if you pulled out a light meter would be brighter. Without getting into to things like constast and layout. The higher percentage of my monitor that is white is the brighter my area will be.

Say what you want but having part of my screen taken up by dark bars does indeed make things less bright.

I am currently getting around this mess by reading the forums in a small window.