Do you struggle with "convenience" cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Everytime I start a new world, I refuse to add myself to Ops, telling myself I am NOT cheating this time. No exceptions. Not going to happen.

Then these scenarios pop up:
- I have pretty deep holes that I must constantly travel down, then go all the way back home when i'm full. I get tired of it, so I add myself to Ops and tell myself "I'm only going to teleport when it's just going to save time from an easy run back, no other cheating!".
- I get to a point where zombies/skeletons really aren't a threat, just an annoyance. Sometimes there's monsters around my home and it won't allow me to sleep, so I force daytime. I tell myself "Why does it matter, I could waste my time hunting those down and they are no threat to me!". This is a downward slope where I ultimately end up setting it to daytime whenever it's nighttime.
- I'm out building and a creeper.. well.. creeps up on me and blows up what I spent the last hour working on. Insanely frustrated, I just cheat the items back in, build it back, then "destroy" the leftover cheated items so I break even.
- It's been raining for how long?! Get out of here already!
- Whoops, hooked up a wire wrong and blew up a bunch of stuff. Better cheat that stuff back in and delete the leftovers.
- I forget to use the right tool, and turn a bunch of expensive machines into machine blocks. You guessed it. I get pissed and cheat the machines back in, then destroy any leftovers.
- Creepers keep blowing up the terrain around my house, getting tired of filling in huge dirt holes. I disable mobgriefing game rule.
- I have a bag full of tools, tons of expensive gear on me, and I fall into lava and die. At this point I stand up and just want to scream. Time to cheat them back in and enable keepInventory game rule so it doesn't happen again.

Who else is guilty of this? I really don't see myself ever being able to play the game 100% legit. I've never used the "big" cheats, such a god mode, flying, peaceful mode... but lately I really can't play the game without keepInventory enabled and mobgriefing disabled. Without teleporting, I feel like 90% of my playtime is running places.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. I just stop playing if I get annoyed. There will always be another day and its better to go enjoy a different game than waste time on something I am going to hate.

Reactions: Mero

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Lately ive been playing with keepinventory on and mobgriefing off, and using difficulty hard and a personal rule to not wear damage mitigation equipment.

it helps me a lot in not cheating, as i mostly did so when i got killed for a dumb reason. Also, i play during family time, so its common to get interrupted or easily killed due to a distraction.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Play the way that feels fun to you and don't feel guilty about it.

If you find yourself constantly cheating in a certain way, then all that means is that you've hit upon a game mechanic that isn't "fun". For example, I disable mob griefing because cleaning my lawn/beach/whatever after Endermen have been through it isn't "fun" for me; it's a chore, one I can't otherwise bypass without following some very restrictive building rules (ie, giving my lawn a two-block-high ceiling...). If there was a legit + feasible method of stopping them from stealing my stash of grass I'd probably work towards that, but there's not so I just disable the whole system. Which is a shame (because it disables creepers too) but I just hate having blocks placed randomly everywhere.

Games are for fun, so there's little point in tolerating mechanics that aren't. Everyone has different tastes, these often change (especially between age groups or with experience of the game), and that's all fine too.

However, bear in mind that Minecraft is basically a game of progress. Every cheat you enable is a chunk of the game skipped, overdo it and there's nothing left to play. Some server owners try to make it all sugar and rainbows for their players, only to find that this simply makes them bored.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. I just stop playing if I get annoyed. There will always be another day and its better to go enjoy a different game than waste time on something I am going to hate.

Pretty much this.

I just started a new 1.6.4 world after work this morning got a few basic TiC tools made and was down looking for lava made so I could start smelting.
I was rushing and ended up falling in with 2 sets of new tools made with slime, plus my new bucket and a bunch if iron and shards. Instead of getting pissed and stuff I just stored for the day.

I never tp or anything like that.
Beds work just fine to change to days, I just keep my bed where it doesn't matter if mobs are around.

I just use bad things that happen as a learning experience.

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
I hooked up wire wrong and every machine I had in that line got blown up(damn greg's exploding machine) and died with full quantum armor(fall damage was too high)
I was like "this can't happen" and cheated in the machines, but it was too much, and I abandoned the world. And I hate greg since then.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I just keep a what-if-this-was-on-a-server mindset and that is enough to keep me from cheating.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a server...hosted locally and I'm OP so playing on a server does not stop me cheating (stops my 14 yold though lol). What stops me from cheating is that there is no fun in doing things the easy way, minecraft is easy enough that I deliberately make things harder for myself to increase the longterm playability of the game (hardmodes, gregtech, self imposed limitations on what and how). Though if something is clearly due to a bug or otherwise outside of normal play, hell yeah I'll cheat my arse off.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I can honestly deal with creepers blowing stuff up from time to time, it's rare and half the time it's just dirt. I could probably live without teleporting too, especially mid-game when you can move faster and build teleporters. However losing items on death is just not fun. Sure, it's nice to have some type of penalty but when you just spent 2 hours mining and some archer knocks you into lava or something, it's like, awesome that was a complete waste of grinding. It's even worse when you forget to stash your "handy bag" of 50 tools away, and find out you need to make them all again.

On my new 1.6.4 server I think i'm going to try the following:
Difficulty = Normal (I just realized i've been playing on easy/default, however hunger still takes me down to 1/2 a heart, what gives?)
KeepInventory = True (Single most annoying thing in the game, especially since 99% of my deaths are cheap anyway, being sent back home is punishment enough)
No teleporting (With KeepInventory on, I can still "teleport" back home if I really wanted too, but i'd like to figure out a way to discourage dying on purpose.. any ideas?)
No cheating in items (unless something glitches out, or a creeper blows up stuff while i'm loading in)
No adjusting weather/time of day (I end up doing it constantly if I have Ops enabled...)

Really the only "cheat" would be keeping inventory on death. I'd leave Op disabled so the options aren't "right there". My main concern is i'd still like there to be a punishment for taking the cheap way and dying to teleport home. I don't think there's a way with current console commands... it even saves your enchanting level.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
To keep death a (smaller) punishment, try turning keepinventory off, but cheat in a couple of charms of keeping 2 (from Twilight Forest). That way you lose some but not all of your stuff.

You could, I suppose, just farm a bunch of them up, too.[DOUBLEPOST=1383196918][/DOUBLEPOST]Now that I think about it, if you're lord and master of a server, you could set up command blocks to automagically allow a user to press a button once per 5-10-20 minutes to eject a charm of keeping for them.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I dont get the need to cheat much. I have a creative map around for a reason if I want to blow off some steam or test something out before investing a lot into it. When MC gets me all ragey I just stop playing and go do something else for awhile.

The only person your hurting if your self when you cheat. But most of the time your the only one that is going to know. But it is single player you can do what you want no one is going to judge you for it unless you try and pass it off as something else. So do whatever is the most fun for yourself and if it gets to much shelf MC for a bit and come back later.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I used to do that often, but I started installing some mods to negate those problems, and if things still happen after that, so be it, otherwise I might aswell go play peaceful creative mode

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
I usually end up cheating in items like wool and raw chicken, items that take no skill to get, to trade with the villagers wanting them. I'll also sometimes delete whatever amount of resources is needed to craft an item and then cheat in that item if I'm down in a cave somewhere and don't have a crafting table (my TiC tools are so durable I don't need one, all I would use it for is crafting replacement tools and stairs).

Basically, stuff that I already know I can do and that takes nothing but time (no thought or skill) to do.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The only "cheat" I would consider not cheating is with Mystcraft. A lot of servers have age creation limited to just ops and a dedicated mining age is created for the server to share. I have not done it in ssp, but I wouldn't knock spawning a creative world due to how mods distort villager trading vs vanilla and how much system effort can be wasted generating random ages to search for pages.

Any use of creative mode in survival can destroy the "integrity" of the world. I played on a friend's DW20 world and on day 2 he dropped off a Q-Suit and other gear. He also used some plug ins to help with terraforming and building my base. Needless to say I stopped playing. All the fun was gone at that point. Not to mention that my base was close to the staff village so I had access to everything in the pack if I crossed a hill.

In general I don't like to cheat because it's just not fun. If you want a challenge from mobs, you'll get it in 1.6.

Reactions: SonOfABirch

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
The only "cheat" I would consider not cheating is with Mystcraft. A lot of servers have age creation limited to just ops and a dedicated mining age is created for the server to share.

I couldn't find the creative note book in NEI, or I would have spawned one myself on the server we use. That's probably one of the few instances of spawning in items I wouldn't call cheating, it's more like "using Mystcraft".

I ended up creating a mod instead that adds a block which teleports you to a "perfect" mining dimension. Standard extreme hills world gen, except flat. Always sun at zenith and no weather. No caves or lava.

Unfortunately it means that I have basically stopped using Mystcraft, which I used to enjoy in the old versions.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I don't. I know that for me it would be a slippery slope that would result in me not wanting play modded minecraft ever again.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I do this kind of "convenience cheating" too when I play to try out new mods. I try my best to legitly progress and acquire everything, so I experience the mod as it is meant to be played... but if chance or stupidity throws me back hours, then I cheat. Also, if I can't figure out how a machine is meant to be used, I often just walk out on the lawn in front of my house, spawn in a large bunch of stuff, test different setups, and when I have understood it all, delete everything again and return to my regularly scheduled survival gameplay. It's pretty much the same as relogging into a test world, except without the relogging part.

However, I also play a different style of game sometimes - games where I want a challenge. For example, starting a map with the Magic Farm modpack. Difficulty is set to hardcore - I couldn't cheat my items back after death if I wanted to, because it deletes the world when I die. Also, using a local server helps a lot: I can simply de-op myself and NEI won't let me cheat anymore.

mobgriefing=false is something I have considered often, because I can't stand how endermen wreck the landscape over long-term play. It's not my fault as a player, and I have no means to prevent it. It's just aggravating. I don't mind the creeper holes so much, at least for those I have nobody to blame but myself. I wish Minecraft would allow Endermen behavior to be toggled separately from everything else, but as it stands you need to search for mods for it which either do a million other things you don't want, or don't get updated to the next Minecraft version... the mobgriefing rule is much simpler in that regard.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
During the game, I typically don't cheat that much... But at the start, I do it all the time. I tend to give myself items or structures I'm too lazy to do otherwise. Here's a list:

• Half a stack of bread (Unless I start on peaceful)
  • Stone tools
  • MAYBE Iron Armor
  • MAYBE a starter house
  • Force Wrench
  • Water Bucket
  • keepInventory = true
  • mobGriefing = false