You have a choice to make. If you had to pick just one mod...

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
...To use in your survival world. One mod. That's it. It can be any singular mod, not mod pack, to start out a new survival world with. What would it be and why?

I'd probably go with IC2, I love the idea of power generation, and teleporters feel like a reward for all of your hard work.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I'd probably go with thermaledpowerestry, it's a new mod I just invented containing thermal expansion, red power and forestry :D

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
I'd probably go with thermaledpowerestry, it's a new mod I just invented containing thermal expansion, red power and forestry :D

The point of this thread is making you choose only one mod, packs defeat the purpose :p

This means you can pick Forestry or IC2 or railcraft, but not all three or even a pack, like yours, Technic, FTB...

I should add, for the purpose of this thread, if your picking something like Forestry that requires Buildcraft engines, assume you'll have the engines but nothing else from that mod, just so you can actually use it :)

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would have to be either BTW or Terrafirmacraft, since those are two very complete mods that do work so well standalone. IC2 and BC and the other mods in FTB and T****T I always feel work best with other mods. (Quickly goes off and downloads both these mods to play). Oh but if I have BTW can I also have optifine or MCpatcher as I love HD textures and as Flower Child and *insert Forge developer when I remember the name here* don't get along, no forge support for BTW.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Probably not Redpower, because that one's true potential lies in being an enabler and connector for other mods. Industrialcraft is a valid choice because playing survival can hardly get any easier than when you're decked out in full Quantum gear. But I'd probably choose something else.

Namely Thaumcraft 3. Right now it's still a bit iffy because it's essentially a prerelease with just a fraction of its planned content. If it will become anything like TC2, though, then you don't need any other mods :p TC2 by itself had enough functionality to literally render half of Technic/Tekkit's mod list redundant, plus unique features of its own...

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm leaning towards Fossil & Archaeology or Mo'Creatures.

Dinosaurs adds... well dinosaurs :p But also it's enjoyable to mine for relics and bones and see what you get for them. And these wonderful mobs that can do landscraping, surfing and diving with a Loch Ness-mob, flying with a pterosaur, having a pack of velociraptors following you, sabertooths, a murdering/wrecking killing machine like T-Rex and a very big fluffy sheep (mammoth) :D
You can also clone animals, which before Mojang added the babby feature, you couldn't do. You couldn't get more sheepies and piggies and cows until now

Mo'Creatures? No ore gen here, but dolphins and horses and what not. And who doesn't enjoy a good whipping?

Only one mod? Tough call.... lemme think.

Hm.
->Fossil & Archaeology<-
Dinosaurs is what I always wanted on MC

Xaviorm

Jul 29, 2019
Just one mod? Better than Wolves with out a doubt. None are as well balanced and inclusive in a single mod. You also don't get a frikin lazer beam either. So that is only so fun for so long. If you had said two mods I would have gone with forestry/buildcraft. Too bad Red power is a Unicorn or it might have been in there somewhere as well.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower.
It is the mod that I use everything in it instead of just a handful of things. Definitely not IC, the only thing I use from that mod is the macerator. BC would be a close second but I like how RP does stuff more.

FailureOne

Jul 29, 2019
wow a real mind bender this one, i think im hard struck to choose between railcraft, buildcraft, forestry and thaumcraft....... so i tend to agree with some in BTW or terrafirmacraft, both are fully fleshed out with all their ideas fully implemented and mesh well with minecraft as a whole.... however i suck at BOTH of those mods.... :(

so i choose forestry.... FOR BEES!!!!

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
Uh.... not sure. Can't decide between Steve's Carts and RedPower. Probably RedPower, because Frames and the redstone circuitry. I could probably figure out how to get stuff from a frame tunnel bore to my base using mag tubes and deployers if I had to...... come to think of it, I kind of want to try.... *loads up a 1.2.5 world*

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Rei's Minimap.

Seriously though, I was going to say Thermal Expansion, since that's provided the most fun for me so far, and it does a lot of very useful things. However, when I think about it carefully, without any other mods to provide power for, and no additional liquids or new ores to smelt, it feels a bit empty. So I think I'll have to go with TC3.

Shadowquinn

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, only one mod to choose? I will have to say NEI. Why? Because i'm a moron and can never remember how to make any of this shit.

Doormat

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I'm going to say Rei's Minimap seriously. It's the mod that I would most miss which means it's the mod I'd have to pick.

However - if you're talking tech-mod ... there can be only one choice in my mind: ComputerCraft. It might not be as efficient at doing everything as the other tech mods ... but it's the only one that I can think of that will (given enough effort) do everything that all the other techmods do.

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech (would need a few things from IC as it's not standalone, but few other mods have given me so much fun)