Program Request Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if this has been made before (I tried searching - no luck), but I figured I'd create a thread for people to request ComputerCraft programs and write programs for others. You can request any kind of program that you want, just make sure that it's not crazily big or something else like that. Enjoy! :)

IMPORTANT NOTE
Before you request, Google for the program that you're looking for. If you end up requesting and someone creates a program for you, it would be greatly appreciated if you gave them a couple likes for their troubles.

QUALITY CONTROL
To ensure the highest quality, please always submit programs by Pastebin if possible, no adfly links (or anything similar), and, we all make mistakes, if you see a poorly implemented program, please correct it if you can (that includes mine).

FREQUENTLY REQUESTED PROGRAMS

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'd love to have a computer craft program that lets me press a button on the screen to open a door by turning off a redstone signal, and then another to turn it back on. I've got a drawbridge door that needs a constant signal but my attempts all give a failed to yield in a timely fashion error.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
It might be good to have a sort of "Common requests" section in the op along with links to solutions either as posts on this forum or as pastebin links - if you were willing to maintain something like that of course.[DOUBLEPOST=1378500324][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd love to have a computer craft program that lets me press a button on the screen to open a door by turning off a redstone signal, and then another to turn it back on. I've got a drawbridge door that needs a constant signal but my attempts all give a failed to yield in a timely fashion error.

Couldn't you use a redstone torch? Unless if you want something fancier like a delay or password lock or something like that.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm using it as a dark room for ore berry bushes, so I want the door to stay open while I'm inside so I can see what I'm doing. As it is now I've got two pressure plates which turn off a redstone torch when I cross them, but that causes it to close while I'm inside.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using it as a dark room for ore berry bushes, so I want the door to stay open while I'm inside so I can see what I'm doing. As it is now I've got two pressure plates which turn off a redstone torch when I cross them, but that causes it to close while I'm inside.

Door Toggle:

This works with MFR rednet cable. If you are using vanilla redstone or red alloy wire you will have to change it a bit. If you follow the same basic structure of my program you should be able to work it out yourself by consulting the redstone api (on the come computercraft wiki) and instead of the bit.bxor bit just replace that with <not rstone>.

pastebin.com/b4r41xGc

This program accepts redstone input from any direction, vanilla and coloured, but it only outputs on the top. Change it if you like by replacing all instances of "top" with the side you want in speech marks. Valid sides are bottom, front, back, left and right.

I was testing it with a lever. It won't work properly with a button. I am editing it now. It needs a delay between button presses for the buttons pulse to finish.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The CC forums should be a great wealth of programs. You might even be able to request some of your own, though I heard that you have to earn posting privileges there.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
The CC forums should be a great wealth of programs. You might even be able to request some of your own, though I heard that you have to earn posting privileges there.
Yes, I'm aware, I'm quite active there. However, the problem is that they handle requesting a program as we handle requesting a mod pack release date... they say that they're not you code slaves, they say that they should get payed, etc. Another problem is that 95% of the members there are actually know how to program, so there is barely a need for this type of thread over there, but here, many people don't program, so I figured I'd start this thread over here.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
And amongst those of us who can, not all of us are very good. Thank you very much casilleroatr I'll give that program a try out.

Fantastic. Does exactly what I want thanks a million.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
They say that cynically. They probably get requests like that all the time. You need to convince them that your program is worth making, as it might add to the community. Suggest a problem that would enhance the community. Something that would cause them all to work together to solve a problem. Otherwise you literally are just making them your code slaves.

Reactions: Symmetryc

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I'll hang around here for you guys and help yous with programs. I have 5 years of programming experience and I'll be willing to lend a hand

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I'm aware, I'm quite active there. However, the problem is that they handle requesting a program as we handle requesting a mod pack release date... they say that they're not you code slaves, they say that they should get payed, etc.

And that was actually the point I was trying to make. I'm a programmer myself and anything non-trivial is simply a lot of work. If you get someone to write you something, good for you, but why on earth would someone spend hours on something they're not even going to use themselves?

What rubs me the wrong way is that you did not show ANY kind of appreciation for the people actually doing the work! Like so many people who know nothing about programming you seem to think it's something that you do in just two minutes or something. My comment on getting paid went completely over your head as well it seems, because I was being cynical: if you can't even be pretty damn appreciative towards people doing the actual work you better be paying them a standard consulting fee.

Reactions: Pokefenn

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019

You don't need a CC program for that. It can be easily done with Rednet Cable, a Lever and a Programmable Rednet Controller.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
And that was actually the point I was trying to make. I'm a programmer myself and anything non-trivial is simply a lot of work. If you get someone to write you something, good for you, but why on earth would someone spend hours on something they're not even going to use themselves?

What rubs me the wrong way is that you did not show ANY kind of appreciation for the people actually doing the work! Like so many people who know nothing about programming you seem to think it's something that you do in just two minutes or something. My comment on getting paid went completely over your head as well it seems, because I was being cynical: if you can't even be pretty damn appreciative towards people doing the actual work you better be paying them a standard consulting fee.
I'm sorry if my comment offends you, to be honest I didn't expect this thread to get so much attention; I thought that I wouldn't get anyone to help me create the programs and there would only be a few requests. Now I can see I was wrong, and I will edit the OP to reflect that (as soon as I have time). Again, I apologize for any hurt feelings.

Edit: Alright, the changes are in, tell me if there's any other changes you would like to make.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if I didn't reply to your post, I don't have too much time atm.
They say that cynically. They probably get requests like that all the time. You need to convince them that your program is worth making, as it might add to the community. Suggest a problem that would enhance the community. Something that would cause them all to work together to solve a problem. Otherwise you literally are just making them your code slaves.
I can see your point, you can pick and choose which programs you want to create based on whether or not you feel they contribute to the community, I handle all the other ones :).
I'll hang around here for you guys and help yous with programs. I have 5 years of programming experience and I'll be willing to lend a hand
Sorry, I was writing these replies from my phone and I didn't even realize that you thought that I couldn't program and that I wasn't going to help out. To make this clear: I will help out and I can program (and I'm not afraid to say that I'm a pretty competent one when it comes to Lua). So yes, I will do "the actual work", as you describe it.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What rubs me the wrong way is that you did not show ANY kind of appreciation for the people actually doing the work!
When the original post was created, there was no work done and no-one doing it, so how is it possible to show appreciation to a non-existent person? And surely it's up to the person making a request to show their appreciation, not the person who created the forum thread.

If this thread does take off - and I might contribute some simple turtle code such as room building and path laying - then I'd like to see the original post updated with fulfilled requests. Maintaining an index of people's work is a good way to show appreciation.