Program Request Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
When the original post was created, there was no work done and no-one doing it, so how is it possible to show appreciation to a non-existent person?

The original post was worded very differently and the OP has fixed the issues with it and there's now nothing wrong with it.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
If this thread does take off - and I might contribute some simple turtle code such as room building and path laying - then I'd like to see the original post updated with fulfilled requests. Maintaining an index of people's work is a good way to show appreciation.
How do you suggest this be done? Just a spoiler tag full of frequently requested program, like what is already there or one with every single program?
I'll help out a little with what I know/can do. :p I can't say it's very much, though. :)
The original post was worded very differently and the OP has fixed the issues with it and there's now nothing wrong with it.
His point still stands...
And surely it's up to the person making a request to show their appreciation, not the person who created the forum thread.

Reactions: techno156

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I don't think referencing the CC (ComputerCraft) Forums for some programs should be too much trouble. :)

Yes, I'm aware, I'm quite active there. However, the problem is that they handle requesting a program as we handle requesting a mod pack release date... they say that they're not you code slaves, they say that they should get payed, etc. Another problem is that 95% of the members there are actually know how to program, so there is barely a need for this type of thread over there, but here, many people don't program, so I figured I'd start this thread over here.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. :p But I meant referencing to already existing programs that perform the same thing. :p

Ah, sorry. You could do that, but when you need a specialized program, you could come here :). I'll put it in the OP to Google before you request something, thanks!

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I have a request. :p

Perhaps writing up a program for an Advanced Computer that does not require the presence of a monitor. Not sure about the one I found, but it appears to require a monitor, and a good few of those. :p

And I do realise that I can do this with a very large number of print statements, except that I'd then run into the issue of the text disappearing off the screen...

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019

Perhaps writing up a program for an Advanced Computer that does not require the presence of a monitor. Not sure about the one I found, but it appears to require a monitor, and a good few of those. :p

And I do realise that I can do this with a very large number of print statements, except that I'd then run into the issue of the text disappearing off the screen...

But Advanced computers don't need monitor's don't they? what is the type of program you are trying to make?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

This all depends on what you want to do with the computer. If you want to be able to display information and or click on screen buttons than the use of a monitor is required. The advanced computer by itself doesn't display or interact with the player until its interface is opened. Most programmers use this interface as a way to debug or give other information about the program running.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

Perhaps writing up a program for an Advanced Computer that does not require the presence of a monitor.

Err. Most of my programs don't require a monitor. If you don't have anything to display they're useless anyway because they're, you know, displays! :)

In my base I have one big monitor that displays stuff like contents of my tanks, items in AE and stored energy. Only the computer displaying that data needs a monitor. The 3 other computers gathering the information and sending it to the main computer don't use a monitor at all.

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
Well to start with a proper request after all this discussions and stuff:
I want to program a rather complex program to display different stuff the Terminal Glasses can display.
For that I want to recognize all devices attached to the computer. It's all working well besides that Wireless Modems and Wired Modems are both of the type "modem".
Does anyone have a program or code snippet to distinguish those two automatically?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Well to start with a proper request after all this discussions and stuff:
I want to program a rather complex program to display different stuff the Terminal Glasses can display.
For that I want to recognize all devices attached to the computer. It's all working well besides that Wireless Modems and Wired Modems are both of the type "modem".
Does anyone have a program or code snippet to distinguish those two automatically?

Code:
local modem = peripheral.wrap("side")
if(modem.isWireless()) then
  print("I'm a wireless modem!")
else
  print("O noes! :(")
end

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
Really? There is a damn method for that? Why didn't I know that.
That's embarassing...

Thank you, Hydra.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Code:
local modem = peripheral.wrap("side")
if(modem.isWireless()) then
else
end

That works very well. Here's another alternative (more efficient if you're only identifying the modem type in the program, but not actually using it to send/receive messages) :
Code:
if(peripheral.call("side", "isWireless")
else
end

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
That works very well. Here's another alternative (more efficient if you're only identifying the modem type in the program, but not actually using it to send/receive messages) :
Code:
if(peripheral.call("side", "isWireless")
else
end

Actually that's what I ended up doing, because I did not want to wrap the peripheral to a variable.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Just FYI guys, if your code decides to make smileys where you don't want, put them inside [PLAIN][/PLAIN] tags. It also ignores bbcode (how I was able to show the tags without them doing stuff