Smeltery - how to?

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Hi

If i have 1 smeltery.
I have just done some iron rods.
I now need to create a new pattern, but i can use the liquid iron in the smeltery that is in now.
How do i empty it and put in gold so i can make a pattern?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Either create an ingot pattern and create ingots out of that iron, cast the iron into a casting basin (also from TiC, creates blocks) or place a spout with a buildcraft tank or TE portable tank underneath and pour it in.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
ok so with my current setup where i have a smeltery with molten iron already in it
i can either destroy it and start over and create a cast for ingots and in the future take out what i dont need in ingots.

or i can pour out what i have into a casting basin (if i have 9 molten or more) and get a solid block??

what is TiC?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
TiC=Tinker's Construct :) People use TiC because TC typically is used for ThaumCraft :)

Easiest for you is to pour it out to a casting basin. If you don't have an ingot cast yet (protip: it's one of the first casts you should make for exactly this issue). If you end up with less than 9 ingots you can cast it in a casting basin too, it just won't harden. So you can either let it sit there and pour more in when you use iron again, or destroy the casting basin and accept the loss of a few iron ingots.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ingot cast into the table, then use the spout until it's all gone.[DOUBLEPOST=1378382362][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if it's in a basin but you don't want to lose the ingots, you can pump it back in with a waterproof wooden pipe, or liquiducts, using a smeltery drain facing the other direction.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Liquids in the smeltery can be moved around and stored just like any other liquids. You can pump excess liquid metal out to a tank and then pump it back in when you're ready to use it.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Protip: use aluminum brass instead of gold. You need twice the amount of gold compared to aluminum brass if you did that.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Protip: use aluminum brass instead of gold. You need twice the amount of gold compared to aluminum brass if you did that.

I missed that part but yeah; why even bother with gold? The in-game manual even tells you to use aluminium brass.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Some people seem to have a hard time finding Aluminum, but I've never really had a hard time with it.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Some people seem to have a hard time finding Aluminum, but I've never really had a hard time with it.

You only need very little to make the casts, they're 0.5 ingots each. So I guess he just thought that because it's yellow it must be gold :)

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
You only need very little to make the casts, they're 0.5 ingots each. So I guess he just thought that because it's yellow it must be gold :)

Right, you need only 1 ingot per cast (not 0.5), but depending on world gen, aluminum is really rare. If I don't find aliminum gravel on the surface, I usually have a lot of gold before I find my first aluminum vein, so using gold for at least the first few casts (for a decent pick) is pretty normal for me. Once I have a quarry setup and enough power to get a full sized one at a decent speed, aluminum starts to show up though.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I always have a hard time finding aluminum. Although I typically do find some before I get deep enough to find gold, so I still wouldn't use gold to make casts (besides, gold has so many other uses that I don't mind making extra trips just to find extra aluminum instead of using gold for casts).

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of think you should be able to make single-use casts with sand and water :p

That would be nifty, and would match the real-world better than the alloy or gold casts. There's no way an aluminum-brass alloy or gold could serve as a mold for steel and such. Real foundries use refractory (green) sand for their pour-casting.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of think you should be able to make single-use casts with sand and water :p

That would be nifty, and would match the real-world better than the alloy or gold casts. There's no way an aluminum-brass alloy or gold could serve as a mold for steel and such. Real foundries use refractory (green) sand for their pour-casting.
He's not looking for realism, though. He's looking for a good mod.

I don't know about anyone else, but melting down metals to pour into a casting table to make a cast and then using that cast to make tool heads and ingots out of liquid metals to be soooo satisfying. I just like the idea of a smeltery and using liquid metals to cast things.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
We've actually had casts for a while, out of forestry. I just don't think anyone has ever bothered using them. Especially since it's more effort for no savings.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I always have a hard time finding aluminum. Although I typically do find some before I get deep enough to find gold, so I still wouldn't use gold to make casts (besides, gold has so many other uses that I don't mind making extra trips just to find extra aluminum instead of using gold for casts).
I spent most of last night looking for aluminium. It tends to only spawn in twos, whereas tin and copper and lead are usually veins of 6-10 blocks. I'm tempted to start using gold, as I have hundreds of gold, possibly because I quarried the Nether and there's Nether Gold Ore but no Nether Aluminium Ore.