Help With a ServerStart.bat Please

Creeper_Genocide

Jul 29, 2019
Hello FTB,
I was hoping I could get someone to help me out on something. I am currently trying to run a server on another computer then the one I'm making this thread with and it is having "Server Can't Keep Up" issues. The server I am running is Direwolf20 1.5.2 for the Direwolf20 1.5 v2 (1.1.3) Minecraft Version 1.5.2 mod pack using the Feed The Beast Launcher Version 1.2.6. I also have had this issue on this computer which I managed to fix with this .bat
Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -Xmn512M -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1024 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -cp "ftbserver.jar" -jar "ftbserver.jar"
What I would like to do is convert this to work on my other computer. My other computer currently runs Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. :( I have been running the server now for a few days and it works but is god awe-fully lagtastic. Gives off "Server Can't Keep Up" errors occasionally. I only play with one other person and that is my sister.
As I have stated earlier I have tried running the server on this computer and running Minecraft at the same time. With this ServerStart.bat file it made the server run extremely smooth and lag-less compared to how it was with the ServerStart.bat that comes with the server pack and it provided 0 "Server Can't Keep Up" errors the entire time I tested it (Was continuously being spammed with "Server Can't Keep up" errors with the default ServerStart.bat).
Now I have read that it is ill advised to run a server and play on the same computer so I would like to get this ServerStart.bat file to work on the other computer. I do not know what I am doing but I have attempted to change the file with no luck in getting it to work.
The system specs for the computer I want to run the server on are as follows:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 x86 (32 bit)
Asus P5N32SLISEDEL 2.02 G Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 2.93GHZ
3GB PC-6400 Ram (Not sure of make or model)
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 160GB SATA 2 HDD
Asus Geforce GTX 260 896M Graphics Card
Java Version: Java Version 7 Update 25
The computer is an older Alienware Area-51 (before Dell took over) that was given to me, although I don't see why I cannot run a minecraft server on it with no lag. Then again I could be wrong. The operating system is what came with the computer from the factory(I have all factory documents and disc's). I would have prefer'd Windows 7 but I haven't decided if I want to buy a copy for it or not yet seeing as it's an easy 150$ investment for the version I want.
Anyways, If someone could write me up a ServerStart.bat similar to the one I posted earlier that can be used on this system, I would forever be in your debt.
Creeper_Genocide

Creeper_Genocide

Jul 29, 2019
Ok Just read through the forum rules again and missed the part about not knowing how to use a batch file. I know how to use one and make a simple batch file similar to the one that comes with the server pack (IE giving more ram to Minecraft). What I don't understand is the more advanced stuff that is in the code I listed above. If this thread is against the rules then please by all means delete it.

I have read through some guides but I am still unclear as to what flags to add/change to get it to work. The bat I posted may very well work with only one or two changes but I do not know what those changes would be. I was just looking for the easy way out as I have been trying to figure this out for the last 2 days. I decided to post this here where I found the bat file that makes my server run like a champ on this Windows 7 system. I shall continue on my quest to figure this out. Please forgive me for being retarded.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Refer to the thread in my signature. Also note that you switched to running the server on a 32bit system which is very subpar. I only ever recommend running FTB servers on a 64bit system.

Not that they can't be, I just don't recommend it.

Creeper_Genocide

Jul 29, 2019
Refer to the thread in my signature. Also note that you switched to running the server on a 32bit system which is very subpar. I only ever recommend running FTB servers on a 64bit system.

Not that they can't be, I just don't recommend it.

The cpu spec sheet from intel says its a 64 bit processor so I obviously derp'd when I installed windows. Though I don't remember it giving me an option for 32 bit or 64 bit. Looks like I will be re-installing windows. I thought it seemed weird when I looked at the system that it didn't say 64 bit when I made the post earlier. Maybe the copy of windows that came with it is only 32 bit? I don't know. Thank you for the reply I hope your thread will assist me.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Creeper_Genocide

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure what I did wrong but I was un-succesful in getting the bat file to start the server. I tried this

Code:
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xmn256m -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=31 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=400 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:PermSize=1024m -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1024m -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:CompileThreshold=1000 -jar “ftbserver.jar” nogui

and this

Code:
Java -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xmn256m -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=31 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=400 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:PermSize=1024m -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1024m -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:CompileThreshold=1000 -jar “ftbserver.jar”

not entirely sure what I did wrong aside from probably changing the wrong values, for example -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=2048m I wasn't sure if I should have left this @ 2048m or change it to 1024m which I ended up changing it which is obvious from the 2 bat's I posted above. I do know one thing though, after using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 all this time I certainly do hate Windows XP... :D Hell for all I know I messed everything up.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Add pause in a new line after the commands in the .bat.

Then let me know what the console says. I haven't tested anything in an XP environment since it's a depricated OS now.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Oh btw, if your trying to use these in a non 64bit environment, it's doomed to fail.

Creeper_Genocide

Jul 29, 2019
Oh btw, if your trying to use these in a non 64bit environment, it's doomed to fail.

Was hoping I could get it to work though :D The whole doomed to fail part explains why it failed. I kinda figured it wouldn't work though seeing as it says clearly at the top, must be 64 bit, have 4GB of ram. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try before I wiped the hdd and re-installed windows. If my windows xp disc doesn't give me an option for 64 bit not entirely sure what I am going to do though.

Creeper_Genocide

Jul 29, 2019
No option to install 64 bit XP, so I guess I'm off to buy Windows 7 :(

EDIT: Changed my mind, just going to use my Windows 7 Ultimate disc I already have to install it. Worry bout activating windows later. This has been an extremely long boring process to get this server to run reasonably well I must admit.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I know you just spent 7 hours installing an OS, but if this box is just going to be running a server why not use a Linux distro like CentOS or Ubuntu? Its free and a little more lightweight than Windows.

Creeper_Genocide

Jul 29, 2019
I know you just spent 7 hours installing an OS, but if this box is just going to be running a server why not use a Linux distro like CentOS or Ubuntu? Its free and a little more lightweight than Windows.

Yea I was thinking about that but, the computer will more then likely be used for things other then the server. Like if my friends come over and want to lan something like borderlands 2 or company of heroes or some other game. I still haven't had the time at the moment to finish getting it up and running though anyways. Plus my sister is back to work so she doesn't have the time to play even if I got the server running. It will happen at some point though :D Maybe this weekend. I am looking forward to a smooth playing server though, regardless of what OS I end up using. Which will probably be Windows 7 Ultimate Edition since I did end up buying another copy for 150$.... Which is fine. I did after all want to upgrade windows on that pc and I do love me some 7 ultimate.