Tinkers Smeltery Automation

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
I take it this is the wrong way to automate clear glass production?

smelte10.jpg

Import bus doesn't seem to recognize the inventory as having a piece of glass in it.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
what exactly does that look like? I mean, is the Casting Basin still used to make the glass? And how does that feed the hopper? Can't pour from the spout directly into the hopper of course.

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
I take it this is the wrong way to automate clear glass production?

smelte10.jpg

Import bus doesn't seem to recognize the inventory as having a piece of glass in it.

For me this method works perfectly fine. I use a Precision Import Bus on the Basin.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
cool. Although tbh the hoppers I can put under all the basins and feed one from the next, so I only need one import bus that way. I was thinking before I'd need many.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Dang, never thought to try and automate.....been so used to living without machines and having to do everything by hand.

Thanks for this thread and the responses.....opens up a hold new world of possibilities for me.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I use the Extra Utilities pipes to move the liquid to the basin (no need for a redstone signal) and then I use Extra Utilities pipes to pull from the basin into a chest.

Reactions: RedBoss

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
If you only want to automate clear glass production then an Export bus on the controller should do it but if you want to automate the creation of metals like manylium then it gets hard. Direwolf20 figured it out in his forgecraft 1 series a few episodes back on youtube and shows how he did it useing BC gates, Thermal Expansion liquiducts, endertanks, and ae. Was cool as heck. check his videos if you wanna do the same

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
How do you automatically feed materials into the smelter?
By piping stuff into the controller. One can just put a hopper over it and a chest over the hopper in the setup I showed above. Alternatively an AE system should hook up to it just fine. The one caveat is that dealing with multiple types of stuff can be a bit tricky if you want to avoid making alloys. I tend to avoid fully automating it for ore processing in favor of the more traditional pulverizer/furnace setup.

There are little tricks that can make doing an automated setup a bit easier. Liquid routers and other various liquid filtering/sorting solutions could work well. Casting tables, basins, and liquiducts can only hold one liquid at a time, so they can work well together. Filtering/sorting pipes (such as emerald pipe) or precision import buses can be used with casting tables to remove ingots without removing the cast. Liquid metals can be pumped out of casting tables/basins as well as back into a drain to refill the smeltery. Have two liquid metals but want the alloy they make? Pump them into the smeltery drain (assuming the smeltery isn't totally full of liquid) and they'll combine as much as they can.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
By piping stuff into the controller. One can just put a hopper over it and a chest over the hopper in the setup I showed above. Alternatively an AE system should hook up to it just fine. The one caveat is that dealing with multiple types of stuff can be a bit tricky if you want to avoid making alloys. I tend to avoid fully automating it for ore processing in favor of the more traditional pulverizer/furnace setup.

There are little tricks that can make doing an automated setup a bit easier. Liquid routers and other various liquid filtering/sorting solutions could work well. Casting tables, basins, and liquiducts can only hold one liquid at a time, so they can work well together. Filtering/sorting pipes (such as emerald pipe) or precision import buses can be used with casting tables to remove ingots without removing the cast. Liquid metals can be pumped out of casting tables/basins as well as back into a drain to refill the smeltery. Have two liquid metals but want the alloy they make? Pump them into the smeltery drain (assuming the smeltery isn't totally full of liquid) and they'll combine as much as they can.
To avoid making alloys, you could use two smelteries. One for copper, cobalt, silver, and ferrous ores (and obsidian if you plan to melt any of that down), and another for everything else. That should avoid all of the TiCo and TE alloys, as far as I know.

You can put hoppers underneath casting tables, which will automatically pick up the ingots so you only need one import bus on a chest at the end of the line of hoppers. If you have the resources for it, you can also use liquid logistics pipes to pump liquid metals back into your smeltery to make alloys (although I wouldn't recommend them for pumping liquids OUT of a smeltery since they aren't very fast).

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
You could have the faucet pouring liquid into a tank too. I had a set up where a logistics pipe system fed whatever metals I wanted into the system, and it emptied back out into tanks at the flip of a switch.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
A pic of a semi automated setup:

smeltery.jpg

Chest and hopper feeds materials into the controller, the casting table and casting basin both have a hopper under them that automatically feeds items into the chest that is just visible between them and the redstone clock gets moved to above the correct faucet for when I want ingots or blocks :)

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
A pic of a semi automated setup:

Chest and hopper feeds materials into the controller, the casting table and casting basin both have a hopper under them that automatically feeds items into the chest that is just visible between them and the redstone clock gets moved to above the correct faucet for when I want ingots or blocks :)

I used to use a similar setup with rednet controllers across multiple smelteries until I found out that a liquiduct with a single switch worked so much faster. My experiments ended up clocking in at nearly three times as fast on basins and just over twice as fast on tables. I would also run into a problem with drains where they would partially fill if I disconnected or moved out of loading distance while it was in the middle of pouring and then not finish filling when I loaded the chunk again. Liquiducts completely eliminated the problem since they fill even basins in less than a second.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
I used to use a similar setup with rednet controllers across multiple smelteries until I found out that a liquiduct with a single switch worked so much faster. My experiments ended up clocking in at nearly three times as fast on basins and just over twice as fast on tables. I would also run into a problem with drains where they would partially fill if I disconnected or moved out of loading distance while it was in the middle of pouring and then not finish filling when I loaded the chunk again. Liquiducts completely eliminated the problem since they fill even basins in less than a second.

Chunckloaders would probably help your range issue.