Ghast Tear Farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, simple question, how should I go about farming ghast tears? My current mindset is to use a soul shard and kill a Carminite Ghastling, but how would I go about killing them in a farm and collecting the drops? I was thinking turrets, but their explosions might present a problem.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
How many tears do you need?

I once excavated a large 64x64x30-ish area of netherrack, open on one side to the main cavern, with a solid floor -- and would often come across a Ghast within the confines. Set up a cobble battlement and would pick them off with a bow when in the vicinity. But I was only after a few for an extra bees machine, and was tired of watching long range shots result in tears drops falling into lava lakes.

kheeler

Jul 29, 2019
What about an MFR auto-spawner setup? I think the minimum size for a ghast is 5x5x5. Use a reusable safari net to capture a ghast in the wild. The spawner, using some power and mob essence will spawn you more ghasts. You can use grinders to kill them and harvest the drops.

You will probably need another setup to generate mob essence for you to fuel the auto-spawner, like some vanilla spawners feeding the same grinder setup, or an animal farm with the auto-breeder, a chronotyper to pull the babies separately, and a grinder for the mob essence.

Reactions: PierceSG

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
What about an MFR auto-spawner setup? I think the minimum size for a ghast is 5x5x5. Use a reusable safari net to capture a ghast in the wild. The spawner, using some power and mob essence will spawn you more ghasts. You can use grinders to kill them and harvest the drops.

You will probably need another setup to generate mob essence for you to fuel the auto-spawner, like some vanilla spawners feeding the same grinder setup, or an animal farm with the auto-breeder, a chronotyper to pull the babies separately, and a grinder for the mob essence.
Also getting any giant slime (or its variants like magma cubes and blue slimes) and making another mfr setup will result in a positive mob essence generation.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Also getting any giant slime (or its variants like magma cubes and blue slimes) and making another mfr setup will result in a positive mob essence generation.

Mostly fixed, in that you can no longer spawn a single large slime and get it to split twice with the grinder. The grinder now obliterates any mob it kills and doesn't allow for spawning like that.

What you can do is drop the slime far enough to kill it, drop the mediums again to kill them, and grind the resulting smalls. This is considered acceptable by the author due to the design and effort involved.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly fixed, in that you can no longer spawn a single large slime and get it to split twice with the grinder. The grinder now obliterates any mob it kills and doesn't allow for spawning like that.

What you can do is drop the slime far enough to kill it, drop the mediums again to kill them, and grind the resulting smalls. This is considered acceptable by the author due to the design and effort involved.
Glad I didn't update yet xDD

vince959

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, simple question, how should I go about farming ghast tears? My current mindset is to use a soul shard and kill a Carminite Ghastling, but how would I go about killing them in a farm and collecting the drops? I was thinking turrets, but their explosions might present a problem.

Carminite Ghastling requires much less space (height) to spawn than normal Ghasts. We are using one and it works great. We use the high energy pellets from portal mod to kill the ghastlings. To collect the drops, run conveyor belt blocks (extra utilities mod one works best) underneath the whole farm in one direction bringing all drops to a hopper.

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
I just farm cows, Force Shear them all, and then toss their delicious tears into the Unifier. >_>
Speaking of Dartcraft, you could use one of its new force transport pipes with a forge-upgraded item card in it. It's a unifier in pipe, I wonder when I could get a unifier in a can.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Can "tears" be turned into "ghast tears" in a Unifier? I still need the first one for the safari net.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Can "tears" be turned into "ghast tears" in a Unifier? I still need the first one for the safari net.

I just farm cows, Force Shear them all, and then toss their delicious tears into the Unifier. >_>

Tears can be turned into Ghast Tears in the Unifier, but you'll need at least one Ghast Tear to begin with in order to set the preference in the Unifier.

Reactions: YX33A and DZCreeper

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Last I tried, I couldn't get the [tears] to transmute into [ghast tears] through the Unifier, without a Ghast Tear to set the preference. I should test it again with the Ghast tear I have now. And right now, my method of ghast tear farm is what kheeler suggested. My main source of essence comes from my grinder with a tier 5 enderman soul cage. The auto-spawner room can be kept small and situated your grinder above ground level, should work just dandy. Right now, I'm killing the ghasts manually with my Force Sword with Soul Stealer V on it. Auto-spawner is really the best partner for the Soul Shards mod. :p

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Last time I checked tears were in OreDictionary and you didn't need to change them...

Two items having the same Ore Dictionary entry does not automatically make them interchangeable. Unless a recipe is specifically written to use that Ore Dictionary entry instead of the specific item, you still can't use the other item. Tears won't work in most recipes because most mod authors aren't expecting alternate tears to be a thing. Same reason why Natura sticks don't work in most mod recipes.

Reactions: belgabor and YX33A

LegendofMo

Jul 29, 2019
What I would do is get a room just big enough for a couple ghasts and put pellet launchers in some areas to give it a good chance to hit a ghast. Bam free killing and all you need is a redstone timer.