Post your starting strategies

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Supposed you have been dumped into a new map. Where do you go from there?

What do you look for? Why?

What mods do you aim for? Why?

Curious to see, since I have very little experience "starting".

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Supposed you have been dumped into a new map. Where do you go from there?

What do you look for? Why?

What mods do you aim for? Why?

Curious to see, since I have very little experience "starting".
Build a manshack out of eucalyptus wood if possible. Then going underground for at least few stacks of iron. Aaaaand then wahtever.

LegitNeek

Jul 29, 2019
I usually spend my first few days mining, slowly upgrading my tools as resources allow. The first machinery I build is usually the TE pulverizer and furnace, powered by either hobbyist's steam engines or force engines (mods willing), then get to work processing my ores. Once I've worked my way through all my ores I setup a Tinker's Construct Smeltery and get to work on making the higher-tier tools (occasionally I'll do this before making the prior machinery as you can double some of your ores in the Smeltery). After this I work towards replacing my power generation, replacing pipes with conduits, redstone energy cell etc.

Once I have some power being produced it's time to setup some auto-mining, be it a quarry (which I prefer not to use) or something like Dire's turtle chunk-eater.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, eucaliptus + silver leaf manshack, rock crusher / factorization for ore doubling/tripling, factorization + steam engines for power.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, eucaliptus + silver leaf manshack, rock crusher / factorization for ore doubling/tripling, factorization + steam engines for power.
The more convoluted and unnecessarily difficult path. I like. :D

EDIT: Anyone know how to disable these creepy emoticons?

EDIT2: Realized that I forgot to answer the question. I tend to dig a hole, collect resources, and then plan a large and completely impractical base but never get around to actually building it.

Reactions: schyman

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
I usually build a little cave/hole in the ground while mining for me to live in. I usually cram a few wooden chests in their, as well as a few steam engine engines to power a pulverizer + powered furnace combo. Lately though, I've been going with Tinker's Construct and Mekanism for ore doubling/tripling. I usually live in that little cave/hole in the ground while I do lots of mining until I have 1-2 stacks of diamonds and an iron chest full of various ingots. After I've got a decent amount of materials I usually build a house above ground and get an AE network and a better power supply (usually a 36 hp steam boiler) so that I can get a quarry for some automated mining.
My starting strategy has been evolving and changing lately though. I usually despise manual mining, and so rush a quarry early on for resources, but I've been doing a lot more of it lately.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
I build a 9x9 out of wood, get food and a manual tree farm up before mining, get a grinder for ore doubling, and then start making TE machines using a hobbyist steam engine fed by a factorization steam boiler/mirror setup.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
BTW solar boiler + atomic science reactor turbines + mekanism universal cables is a surprisingly valid and refreshingly novel build.

Looks good too

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
I was planning on getting a 36 hp boiler fueled by fuel and feeding all of the steam into turbines which power an oil fab or two, and creating an infinite power loop that way.
But your idea sounds good too. And probably less exploity than mine.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I normally secure a food source, make a bed, get a stack of wood (in no particular order), make a miner's and digger's backpack if I'm able, scout for a decent area to make a base, drop off all the plants, saplings, pumpkins and the like I find in a chest, then head underground. I don't come up until I run out of space, run out of food, or run out of wood. With Tinker's construct, you can make torches with stone, so not a lot of wood needed except for replacement tools. Along the way I make an iron pick and iron armor.

Starting energy sources tend to be what is available to me. If I have more than 1 oil well nearby, I go that route. If I find a bunch of lava underground, I'll do that. Other times it is just a tree farm or other renewables. As far as engines, boilers or such, I try and do something I haven't done before. In this world, I'm going MFR and golems for my main resource generation, and I've decided to go all steam power (as much as possible), and only use EU and MJ where I absolutely have to. I haven't built a large boiler yet, (I have the materials), but instead am still working on building the base.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
1. Punch chop 15-20 wood
2. Murder 5-10 cows/chickens/pigs and a few sheep
3. Dig down in a 2x1 to lvl 12~
4. Start branch mining to 20-50 blocks, leaving 5-7 blocks between each branch

Full iron and possibly half diamond enchanted armor in under an hour to actually start FTB stuff.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
It usually goes like this:

1) Join random server/start new world
2) Explore the world- killing everything, surface caving can net you iron armour and quartz/RPgem tools.
-optional step on server with fresh world- beat the living tar out of the enderdragon and grab those beehives!
3) When you find a nice area, settle down (usually over 3k blocks from spawn)
-Either a small shack or borrow a NPC's house, this room is a springboard for my base. It just has some basic ore processing and some factories for building supplies. 2 or 3 9x9 fields of wheat/carrot ect as everyone seems to forget about food until its too late.
4) Laugh at starving idiots
5) Strip out local cave systems
6) plan out position of main base and get building

As for actual strategy
Make a slag furnace for early ore processing
Research thaumium, grind exp from mining ores (this is why Gregtech is awesome)
Build a planetary cannon- 7 fusion reactors in a vertical column with 9 lightning rods around the inner circle. (this is why Gregtech is very awesome)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
With all the mods adding so much stuff to chests and more structures that have chests I figured the best way to start is to find some villages and barrow hills and loot their chests. Easy steel and some other metals usually. Also the Thaumcraft tower in villages has glowstone for your electric jetpack without having to brave the Nether yet.

If I found enough thaumium to make a pickaxe or found one I get that and get obsidian and get it enchanted utilizing the bookshelves from the villages. Hoping for Fortune III here, that gets you better yields than Silk Touch for most things before Industrial Grinder. If neither were had I research Thaumcraft enough to make more thaumium for another go.

After that it's basically the usual stuff in the unusual way I do them. Hoarding resources for a permanent base, teching up, exploring more, etc.