What mods could be used to replace redpower 2 (not talking about its place in FTB)

Craigdb

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed there are two types of insertion pipe in 1.5 - Additional pipes (iron gears and glass) and as Greyed said - Thermal Expansion also has one with tin ingots and a lapis block above the glass. I gotta say I don't miss the ticking in my old setup where a timer triggered the filter device into barrels. Bye Bye old grandfather clock!!! It isn't quite the same as having redpower, but the group I posted before is pretty close. I noticed NumiRP does not generate blocks (marble basalt gems) in twilight forest - well, not in the hills like RP does and Basalt is less abundant - my biggest issue atm is Immibus Microblocks don't recognise Basalt or Marble from NumiRP.

Numerios

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed NumiRP does not generate blocks (marble basalt gems) in twilight forest - well, not in the hills like RP does and Basalt is less abundant - my biggest issue atm is Immibus Microblocks don't recognise Basalt or Marble from NumiRP.

Twilight forest - Ohh, thanks, I'll look into that.
Microblocks - An easy fix for this one - add to the configs "cuttableBlock: ID:META" for every block you'd like to add as cuttable :)

Craigdb

Jul 29, 2019
Microblocks - An easy fix for this one - add to the configs "cuttableBlock: ID:META" for every block you'd like to add as cuttable :)
Interesting - I tried adding those entries - major crash... so then I noticed the auto detect cuttable blocks - changed to true and it auto propagated those settings, including marble and basalt - thanks... also a note, it at first would make the crafted item dissappear before you have a chance to pick it up - once I did it on a vanilla block, marble and basalt worked fine after that - just a note for anyone following this thread, even if in a semi-inapropriate place (but it all does relate to replacing redpower2)... anyway - this is for server owners - when I logged out and back in - big time problems, client crashes - I freaked... but it was simply because the server didn't auto add the cuttable blocks - after ther client has run once, copy the immibus-microblocks.cfg from the client to the server, this will get everything working properly.

Further note, at the risk of a tldr, it now cuts furnaces machine blocks - all the mod ones it seems - makes them not function, but adds some interesting new decorative blocks.

darkslayr425

Jul 29, 2019
The thing i woul most miss are the great deployer and block breaker,and turtles, nor anything that requires power and doesnt work of a redstone signal

Taeo

Jul 29, 2019
Does any mod have a block like the RP2 Grate, specifically its abilities to dump fluids back into the world? Waterproof pipes, liquiducts and the like only transport liquids, they won't let you pour it out.

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
Does any mod have a block like the RP2 Grate, specifically its abilities to dump fluids back into the world? Waterproof pipes, liquiducts and the like only transport liquids, they won't let you pour it out.

You could use a Bucket Turtle to place liquids, although it can't place en masse like the Grate does. The Grate was pretty unique to begin with, though...

Taeo

Jul 29, 2019
You could use a Bucket Turtle to place liquids, although it can't place en masse like the Grate does. The Grate was pretty unique to begin with, though...

ah, ya it was. Turtles are out on my server though, I find auto mining machines to be much too overpowered and no matter how many time I asked they never put in a config option to disable that. I don't know if thats changed recently.

Machu1299

Jul 29, 2019
There is a config option in the microblocks that is like autodetectcuttableblocks. Reverse what it says. I forget if it is auto true or auto false. But reverse it.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
I find every bit of redpower functionality in minefactory reloaded, extra utilities (an even better/less server intensive alternative to tubes! it uses vanilla hopper code!), tubestuff, and barrels+. I still have not found an alternative to frames, although the chainz (The missing link) mod does a fairly decent elevator (It's possible to use it as a dummy frame that only goes up and down). With Tinker's construct for tools and weapons, magic seeds for high-end production needs, immibis anchors for automation, Utility Mobs for defense (fun defense too... really good use for all those extra tinker's construct weapons and vanilla armors), the usual obsidiplates, nei, and ender storage add-ons, and modular power armor for endgame rewards, I find it nearly as fullfilling as the entire tekkit or FTB modpacks, with a much, much, smaller and cleaner footprint.

I guess you could add CC for 'mass construction' needs, but few modplayers are heavy-duty lua coders, so I'd be happy to find an alternative (Other than buildcraft, I am sick to death of buildcraft). I miss Minecolony so much... talk about a nearly-perfect mod to make the core of a pack! Maybe the builder mod?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
How to replace a Sorting Machine for item distribution? I want to send 1 dirt & 8 wheat to autocraft into mulch & have it wait for the right resources before continuing. It could probably be done with a load of vanilla hoppers and comparators I suppose but it would be hugely inefficient.

Sure, for simple autocrafting there is AE but item distribution isn't just for crafting.

Taeo

Jul 29, 2019
I find every bit of redpower functionality in minefactory reloaded, extra utilities (an even better/less server intensive alternative to tubes! it uses vanilla hopper code!), tubestuff, and barrels+. I still have not found an alternative to frames, although the chainz (The missing link) mod does a fairly decent elevator (It's possible to use it as a dummy frame that only goes up and down). With Tinker's construct for tools and weapons, magic seeds for high-end production needs, immibis anchors for automation, Utility Mobs for defense (fun defense too... really good use for all those extra tinker's construct weapons and vanilla armors), the usual obsidiplates, nei, and ender storage add-ons, and modular power armor for endgame rewards, I find it nearly as fullfilling as the entire tekkit or FTB modpacks, with a much, much, smaller and cleaner footprint.

I guess you could add CC for 'mass construction' needs, but few modplayers are heavy-duty lua coders, so I'd be happy to find an alternative (Other than buildcraft, I am sick to death of buildcraft). I miss Minecolony so much... talk about a nearly-perfect mod to make the core of a pack! Maybe the builder mod?

Utility mobs and chainz look pretty useful. I've been trying to get an elevator mod for bloody forever. I thought there would never be a good one because modders feared that idiot flowerchild crawling down their throat. And frames made a terrible elevator.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
I don't consider Flowerchild an idiot, I just think he has a monumental ego and wants people only playing his way (Imagine how cool BTW, extrautils, and minefantasy would be paired together as a huge tech tree... egads, it would be amazing!). Like Eloraam, CJ, sengir, and the rest of the 'big mod' guys are any better in the ego department :) The only 'big mod' guy I know without a huge ego is powercrystals, and as a result he is plagued constantly by suggesters, well-wishers and beggars...I give it only a matter of time before he becomes standoffish, aloof, and egotistical simply for self-protection. We minecraft players tend to get very demanding.

Philhibbs: MFR has some nice sorting stuff. and tubestuff still works even without redpower with all three major pipe mods as well as with hoppers

and I still think that not having the option to turn off volcanos and marble is short-sighted. They are disruptive enough to keep me from ever returning to the mod. Alternatives for the win.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
BTW- what would you need to pour liquids out into the world for? Out of curiosity... I cannot even imagine a situation where automagically placing liquids in-world would be useful, with the sole exceptions of griefing and cheating around the nether's water prohibition.

BTW, tinker's construct 'spouts' are almost insanely useful :) Try them in weird situations, and they always seem to work... like keeping a crucible full in thaumcraft, pouring into the internal storage of engines, as a cheaper (slower) alternative for loading tank carts in railcraft and fuel in traincraft, and a hundred other situations. Super fun.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
BTW- what would you need to pour liquids out into the world for? Out of curiosity... I cannot even imagine a situation where automagically placing liquids in-world would be useful, with the sole exceptions of griefing and cheating around the nether's water prohibition.
Filling in a hole in an ocean, making a lake or reservoir, annoying the Endermen.

Kucan

Jul 29, 2019

BTW, tinker's construct 'spouts' are almost insanely useful :) Try them in weird situations, and they always seem to work... like keeping a crucible full in thaumcraft, pouring into the internal storage of engines, as a cheaper (slower) alternative for loading tank carts in railcraft and fuel in traincraft, and a hundred other situations. Super fun.

As an admin, I find them really useful for refilling lava pools in the nether after they've been abandoned for mystcraft lava oceans, to decease the lag from light updates and such. I've also used it to reverse cases of griefing when repairing the land.

Will try the spout though.

(I don't want to use world edit as I don't want potentially jeopardise the world by switching to MCPC+)

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh, interesting.

The spout doesn't pour stuff into the world, though, it just acts sort of like a very very short pipe that you can attach to any liquid inventory with pressure, that will pour into any other liquid inventory when clicked or given a redstone pulse. You could see how that could be fun, especially with things like TE portable tanks. (I don't like pipes for long distances, too many zones to keep loaded and updates kill the server, so I use non-railcraft railcart inventories to ship biofuel and water from place to place... a block placer places the portable tank, the spout fills it, and then a breaker puts it onto a conveyor belt where it's sent to the train.... that way I can use expensive cars to sweep the rails clear and use high speed trains. Inelegant, but less cheesy than ender tanks :p

also, the spouts are aesthetically VERY pleasing :) more so than just a pipe with glowing goop in it.

Taeo

Jul 29, 2019
The mods I have add like 20 different liquids, from sewage to spring water to liquid glowstone, I can think of tonnes of ways it would be useful to be able to make them appear in the world. Like liquid glowstone lamps that I can turn off.

I'll admit most of my uses would be decorative.