Most efficient tree farm setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all. For my Let's Play, I was wondering what the most efficient self-sustaining tree farm would be. I currently have a tree farm using a powered furnace to turn wood logs into charcoal and then burning that charcoal in two stirling engines. I'm getting over 1 stack per of excess charcoal per hour of runtime. I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of running the farm though. Any thoughts?

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I like Steve's Carts tree farms, but I have not spent much time on MFR's for comparison.

I too convert the logs to charcoal then use that to power my engines (although I dump the charcoal into HP boilers and make steam for Industrial Steam Engines). Some people like to use a sawmill instead, and then burn the planks in their boilers rather than making charcoal.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on how you're running it currently.

Steves carts offers a good way of farming trees, with little to no maintenance.
Forestry has a multiblock which can farm the trees for you, as well as harvest trees such as cherry trees or apple trees.
MFR has some blocks that can quickly destroy and plant trees in a huge radius.
The axe of the stream can be put into a tubestuff block breaker to allow harvesting of huge trees very quickly.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on how you're running it currently.

Steves carts offers a good way of farming trees, with little to no maintenance.
Forestry has a multiblock which can farm the trees for you, as well as harvest trees such as cherry trees or apple trees.
MFR has some blocks that can quickly destroy and plant trees in a huge radius.
The axe of the stream can be put into a tubestuff block breaker to allow harvesting of huge trees very quickly.
I'm stuck with the arboretum and logger for now as I'm still early game and low on resources. But those all sound pretty good.
Is there another charcoal burning engine that will be more efficient?[DOUBLEPOST=1371067893][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like Steve's Carts tree farms, but I have not spent much time on MFR's for comparison.

I too convert the logs to charcoal then use that to power my engines (although I dump the charcoal into HP boilers and make steam for Industrial Steam Engines). Some people like to use a sawmill instead, and then burn the planks in their boilers rather than making charcoal.
The sawmill sounds like a good idea. but I'll have to do the math to be sure.
I don't yet have the resources for steve's carts, though.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
MFR farms are pretty much the most OP thing ever. You should use them, though use them 2x2 trees, you'll get much better wood yields.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Steve's Carts farms work well, but require 5 diamonds to craft and have introduced durability (except on the top-tier galgadorian wood cutter). Right now I'm using an MFR treefarm in 1.52 beta (no gt). I made a multiblock forestry farm in my previous world (1.4.7 DW20) to test that a bit as well.

MFR farms seem to be better on all counts I can think of. Along with Steve's Carts they can be made completely automatic and self sustaining with a proper tree farm - charcoal furnace - boiler setup, and will run "forever".

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Carts farms work well, but require 5 diamonds to craft and have introduced durability (except on the top-tier galgadorian wood cutter). Right now I'm using an MFR treefarm in 1.52 beta (no gt). I made a multiblock forestry farm in my previous world (1.4.7 DW20) to test that a bit as well.

MFR farms seem to be better on all counts I can think of. Along with Steve's Carts they can be made completely automatic and self sustaining with a proper tree farm - charcoal furnace - boiler setup, and will run "forever".
I'm on 1.4.7
I don't think steve's carts has durability on it in this version. Does it?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I'm on 1.4.7
I don't think steve's carts has durability on it in this version. Does it?

It didn't in the 1.4.7 Direwolf mod pack at least.

It's a bit unfortunate that most mod makers seem to be terrified of being labeled as "OP" compared to other mods, which has lead to what IMHO looks like a nerf contest. I really like that about MFR, it gets the job done without costing an arm and a leg, and it's fun and convenient to use. Coming to think of it, the mods I have enjoyed using the most, are the ones usually labeled as OP, such as mystcraft, old SC tree farms and soul shards.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
No, it does not.
Cool.

It's a bit unfortunate that most mod makers seem to be terrified of being labeled as "OP" compared to other mods, which has lead to what IMHO looks like a nerf contest. I really like that about MFR, it gets the job done without costing an arm and a leg, and it's fun and convenient to use. Coming to think of it, the mods I have enjoyed using the most, are the ones usually labeled as OP, such as mystcraft, old SC tree farms and soul shards.
I have to agree. I'm on Ultimate just because I like some of the gregtech machines. but I disabled a bit of the nerfing because I hate it.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019

I'm really starting to like SC as well, though in this case for tunnel boring (if only the bloody chunk loader would work :mad:). Mystcraft though... is the largest pain in the arse on this earth.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
I'm really starting to like SC as well, though in this case for tunnel boring (if only the bloody chunk loader would work :mad:). Mystcraft though... is the largest pain in the arse on this earth.
Yeah. I'd love the tunnel bore with the galgadorian drill. But I have a much more "OP" mining idea that I want to try.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013

Sorry if I'm derailing here, but the key with mystcraft is to get an advanced jet pack (power suits seem even better, but haven't tried yet) and then try to get one world that isn't completely horrible. Then just scour it for libraries (go north or south from one if you find it and you might find another within 3-500 blocks, not 100% accurate though). Forget about villagers unless you're desperate for a specific symbol. Never enter a completely random world without a jet pack. I did and the platform was immediately destroyed = permadeath loop.

I searched ~40 libraries in one world and then had everything I needed to make 100% stable worlds with eternal sun / lava / glowstone etc... (no diamond tendrils though :))

Reactions: Jof16s

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if I'm derailing here, but the key with mystcraft is to get an advanced jet pack (power suits seem even better, but haven't tried yet) and then try to get one world that isn't completely horrible. Then just scour it for libraries (go north or south from one if you find it and you might find another within 3-500 blocks, not 100% accurate though). Forget about villagers unless you're desperate for a specific symbol. Never enter a completely random world without a jet pack. I did and the platform was immediately destroyed = permadeath loop.

I searched ~40 libraries in one world and then had everything I needed to make 100% stable worlds with eternal sun / lava / glowstone etc... (no diamond tendrils though :))
Nice. I'm not going to get into mystcraft right now because I have a mining turtle with a program someone else wrote to mine for me. Put it below grass level and you'll never even see the quarry. Best part is the program only mines specific levels, so I get fewer cobble/dirt/gravel blocks to deal with.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Is there another charcoal burning engine that will be more efficient?
If you don't want to use steam boilers to power industrials, just use Hobbyist Steam Engines.

Sterling -- no warmup, quite inefficient
Steam Engine (from Thermal Expansion mod) -- no (or little?) warmpu, more efficient than Sterling
Hobbyist Steam Engine -- lengthy warmup which makes it slow to start, much more efficient when fully warmed

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't want to use steam boilers to power industrials, just use Hobbyist Steam Engines.

Sterling -- no warmup, quite inefficient
Steam Engine (from Thermal Expansion mod) -- no (or little?) warmpu, more efficient than Sterling
Hobbyist Steam Engine -- lengthy warmup which makes it slow to start, much more efficient when fully warmed
Nice. I didn't know how efficient they were. I think I can make an aqueous accumulator for water right now to.
Thanks for the help!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, its less to do with this, and more to do with the fact that you can't create an age anything like what the pages say, even with a guide. Every mining age i've attempted to make has been a floating island with every form of instability going (yes, this is without dense ores). Then you also lose you're world when it makes you crash whenever you log in.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, the hobbyist's steam engines produce less than I need per engine. But 2 engines is too much power. What can I do with the rest (can't afford a redstone energy cell right now)

EDIT: It seems to have steadied itself off at 2600 now. It's held there for 20 minutes.

yuuwolfman

Jul 29, 2019
Nice. I'm not going to get into mystcraft right now because I have a mining turtle with a program someone else wrote to mine for me. Put it below grass level and you'll never even see the quarry. Best part is the program only mines specific levels, so I get fewer cobble/dirt/gravel blocks to deal with.
whats the progeam