Most efficient tree farm setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
It didn't in the 1.4.7 Direwolf mod pack at least.

It's a bit unfortunate that most mod makers seem to be terrified of being labeled as "OP" compared to other mods, which has lead to what IMHO looks like a nerf contest. I really like that about MFR, it gets the job done without costing an arm and a leg, and it's fun and convenient to use. Coming to think of it, the mods I have enjoyed using the most, are the ones usually labeled as OP, such as mystcraft, old SC tree farms and soul shards.

Hence the reason behind my recent reversion to 1.2.5. With EE2 and ToggleBlocks, I've been having a blast, whereas 1.4.7 and 1.5 have both had me bored silly, for the most part. The mod scene really is going to pot, recently. As you say, there is a continual nerf contest between developers, with the hysteria over balance obsession reaching unprecedented levels. It's inexplicable, arbitrary, and insane.

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
i like this program it digges from the bottom up the only problem is how do i stop it
Holding down ctrl+t stops a running program. But the problem is the designer made it persistent and I can't figure out how to shut it off. Each time it runs it creates a startup program to start again.
I can't find the line in the code that creates a startup yet. But I'm still looking.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
I must ask. Whats the best way to learn about automating all of this? I need energy more then anything and a tree farm and boilers seems like to be the eaisest energy. Ive never done it before though. I have my own 1.5.2 pack set up but its pretty much FTB with extra crap I like. Someone said videos for boilers but I dunno which to look for. =( Boilers and automation and stuff is all beyond me. I have my inustrial grinder and AE system set up and I still use my crafting table and do stuff by hand. =(

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
I must ask. Whats the best way to learn about automating all of this? I need energy more then anything and a tree farm and boilers seems like to be the eaisest energy. Ive never done it before though. I have my own 1.5.2 pack set up but its pretty much FTB with extra crap I like. Someone said videos for boilers but I dunno which to look for. =( Boilers and automation and stuff is all beyond me. I have my inustrial grinder and AE system set up and I still use my crafting table and do stuff by hand. =(
I've found that the best way to learn about it is to try it. Watch videos, think about how each piece functions and whether it will fit in your system, and (most importantly) just start building until you have a knack for it. People like Direwolf20 do their Let's Play tutorial style, which makes it easy to learn. That's how I learned half of what I know about automation, actually.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
The sawmill sounds like a good idea. but I'll have to do the math to be sure.

The math is pretty simple. You get 1600 heat from charcoal. The sawmill creates 6 planks which each give 300 heat for a total of 1800. So already you're 200 heat ahead. But it gets better. Charcoal takes 160MJ to create, 6 planks takes 80MJ. So 10 heat/MJ from the furnace or 22.5/MJ from the sawmill. Yet it gets better. Every log nets you 1 sawdust. 8 of them can be crated into a block which can be cooked for coal. Granted this actually brings the heat/MJ down to 20 from 22.5 but still, lots more fuel taking the sawmill route.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013

If you already have an AE system running, simply place an MFR planter and harvester as appropriate, and put a chest next to the havester. Then put an import bus on the chest, and connect to AE system. Put export bus directly on planter and export saplings. Then put a powered furnace somewhere, export logs to the input and import everything from the output (will only be charcoal). Then put an export bus directly on the firebox of the boiler and export charcoal. Done! Only "basic" import and export buses are needed.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
You can put an interface next to the harvester instead of the chest setup, cheaper and smaller overall.

Actually I find that having pipes routed past the farm w/TE Insertion pipe into the farm, then into an interface is more efficient. No need for an export bus on the farm at all. :)

Jof16s

Jul 29, 2019
The math is pretty simple. You get 1600 heat from charcoal. The sawmill creates 6 planks which each give 300 heat for a total of 1800. So already you're 200 heat ahead. But it gets better. Charcoal takes 160MJ to create, 6 planks takes 80MJ. So 10 heat/MJ from the furnace or 22.5/MJ from the sawmill. Yet it gets better. Every log nets you 1 sawdust. 8 of them can be crated into a block which can be cooked for coal. Granted this actually brings the heat/MJ down to 20 from 22.5 but still, lots more fuel taking the sawmill route.
Nice. Thanks for that.
I'm definitely going that route then.

Actually I find that having pipes routed past the farm w/TE Insertion pipe into the farm, then into an interface is more efficient. No need for an export bus on the farm at all. :)
Nice. I'll have to try that when I have enough resources for a proper system.