I'm sorry to sound impatient, but...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of aluminum, does it bother anyone else to touch it? It's weird, but it skeeves me out.

Nope, but the few times I've held lead it's just a matter of seconds after it touches my skin that I can taste it, or get a metallic taste in my mouth. I don't think I've ever asked if anyone else had that, but presume it's normal reaction.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
You mean wrong?

Will you stop it, I'd bet 100$ you've looked it up and are PERFECTLY aware that the inventor / discoverer SPECIFICALLY wanted it called Aluminum, but bowed to pressure from bookish asshats. You're wrong, not the other way around.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Will you stop it, I'd bet 100$ you've looked it up and are PERFECTLY aware that the inventor / discoverer SPECIFICALLY wanted it called Aluminum, but bowed to pressure from bookish asshats. You're wrong, not the other way around.
images

Also, that's not what happened soooo yeah just go check wikipedia or any other site with citations just so you can be less wrong the next time you go on a butthurt rampage.

Reactions: kilteroff

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Seems he first wanted "alumium", before moving to "aluminum". Oddly, the US started out using "aluminium". Why did we swap, I wonder?

Regardless, IUPAC says "aluminium" is the official spelling.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
We don't have this problem in Polish, we just drop the -ium and -endings (platinum -> platyna , iridium -> iryd , polonium -> polon). However alumin(i)um is still specific, because chemical element name is glin (from glina -> clay), but normally used is aluminium (yes, the one example of -ium ending).

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Seems he first wanted "alumium", before moving to "aluminum". Oddly, the US started out using "aluminium". Why did we swap, I wonder?

Regardless, IUPAC says "aluminium" is the official spelling.

Maybe because the US wants to be somewhat special? I mean you guys are still using your U.S. customary system (yards etc.) in public (i know that the metric system is more commin in science etc) while the whole world around you is switching or already has the metric system.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe because the US wants to be somewhat special? I mean you guys are still using your U.S. customary system (yards etc.) in public (i know that the metric system is more commin in science etc) while the whole world around you is switching or already has the metric system.
Oi, I'm English thank you very much!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
The differing numeric systems can be a bother when you move to a different country, like I did. Unless it happens to be a third world country that can never measures anything anyway. Now sometimes I forget which was is left :mad: