Xycraft Multitanks and Lag.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
Stuff like flowing liquids and texture updates (basically block updates) can cause an entire chunk to resync to the clients and rebuild the render cache for that chunk. That's a lot of overhead for both the server/client and network (and the reason the 1ms>timers and RP in general lag so much). Though there have been some improvements in Forge to reduce this. It still an issue though.

Entities are another common source of lag, whether they are items, animals, or minecarts. Get enough of them and the server just gives up and dies.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you see people on this server doing 5x5 chunk loader saying "it doesn't cause lag, a player loads more", so they obviously have no clue over what they are talking about.

They are entertainers, and formerly vanilla players, and it shows.

The lag they get is really not that bad, when you know all the crazy things that are going on between all the bases.

As pointed out earlier, it's having a lot of people getting high end machines and contraptions, meaning a lot of things for the server to process.

I am pretty sure some of them are draining the nether for lava, and have a lot of flowing water in quarries, and I would be surprised if nobody had a <1s timer for something.
Don't be quite so harsh :p As you said, they're only Vanilla players, and most of them are trying to do something interesting (Genny with his bees, Etho with his trains, etc). They're still pretty new to the modpack and certainly never claimed to be experts; the problem is that if you multiply that slight noobiness by ten or twenty, you get an uber-noob sandwich. And lag.
Also, as Youtubers, they're by definition more likely to create something big or impressive. Your average player might be content with a cellar full of machines, but they need mansions.
It's a bit annoying that they point fingers at innocent mods, but I think it's more like a game of Chinese whispers, with one person claiming something in passing or reading it online and it spreading throughout them.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I think we need to be a bit harsh on them when they have such an impact.

When they give false or unverified information, it tends to spread quite a lot, because some of them are known to know what they are talking about (in vanilla).
Etho is one of the figures for redstone and mechanisms all around (even if there are people better than him), Docm is known for his knowledge and abuse on mobs spawning mechanisms...

I respect most of them as persons and entertainers, but when it comes to mods, they tend to act as if they know what they are doing, and when it's not based on anything, it tends to have an impact on the whole community, due to how many people watch their videos.

Reactions: tehBlobLord

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I think we need to be a bit harsh on them when they have such an impact.

When they give false or unverified information, it tends to spread quite a lot, because some of them are known to know what they are talking about (in vanilla).
Etho is one of the figures for redstone and mechanisms all around (even if there are people better than him), Docm is known for his knowledge and abuse on mobs spawning mechanisms...

I respect most of them as persons and entertainers, but when it comes to mods, they tend to act as if they know what they are doing, and when it's not based on anything, it tends to have an impact on the whole community, due to how many people watch their videos.
Well, in general, I've found that the FTB community is FAR less likely to be misled (or at least, on the forums); most of us know more about the mods than they do. For example, that Minecraft 2.0 April Fools prank nearly broke the regular Minecraft Forums with spammy whine-posts, but I doubt many members of this forum fell for it.
On the other hand a lot of "newbs" must have begun playing FTB since the mindcrackers did, so just because I don't see them on this forum it doesn't mean that they aren't there. It was already proven a while ago (with the "Pause hates Etho" thing) that 90 percent of Etho's fanbase are >12 years old. Not, of course, that age has anything to do with "skill" or intelligence.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I wish Guude allowed for an FTB world download (even an old one, from when the lag issues first started).

Hunting the lag source would be a cool challenge for anyone somewhat knoweledgable of mods (and it would also help them!).

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm you would think with all the MIndcrackers on one server they have.. And the amount of things they build.. That alone would be there lag.

How many active Mindcrack guys are there anyway? 20? 10?

Also last time I watched them right when they first started they were building pretty close to each other... Buildings wise. Only guy I remember that took off 1000 blocks away was etho.

Could be anything really.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm you would think with all the MIndcrackers on one server they have.. And the amount of things they build.. That alone would be there lag.

How many active Mindcrack guys are there anyway? 20? 10?

Also last time I watched them right when they first started they were building pretty close to each other... Buildings wise. Only guy I remember that took off 1000 blocks away was etho.

Could be anything really.
Most of them moved away because of the laggy spawn village.

Personally, I think it's a combination of a thousand tiny laggy things rather than one big problem.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that RailCraft multiblocks lag more than Xycraft ones. Might not be true..

I only watch a couple of Mindcrackers (Docm occasionally, sometimes Anderz, a lot of GenerikB and Bdoubleo and obviously Etho)

Anderz is relatively competent, I'm unsure about Docm as I've only watched a couple of his, and..

Holy my God, GenerikB makes me want to facepalm. Bdoubleo is a bit better.

Etho has a good deal of FTB knowledge.

Like earlier on ForgeCraft though, Direwolf20 put quartz in a powered furnace.

Everyone does stupid stuff.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I have seen none of these names mentioned above & from whats been said I am happy to stay that way, I remember the first MC server I played a guy asked me what MCer I liked best & if I agreed with etho "aint sure if thats correct name" he was flabber-ghasted to hear I had never watched any vid/stream from them, then attempted to get me to view them, I looked up some tubes, after reading the comments didnt bother, lifes to short to watch others mess up stuff, my time is better spent messing up my own stuff.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
You know what, this very tweet feed just proves my points higher...

They don't know what they are talking about, and are not even contacting the modder to signal the problem (cf soarin tweet at the end).

Seriously, to me, that proves that generikB and guude are not to be trusted on what causes and does not cause lag on modded servers.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Again I have no less then 10 xycraft tanks in my Game... Don't see this lag.. Maybe even more.. I even have double tanks connected to each other.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Tweet From Soaryn Now that helps everyone guude >:-(. Instead of coming to me and explaining you go the unproductive route....*smh*

Riddle me this... If you have something like 100 Xycraft tanks on your server... IE mindcrack... You get rid of every single one of them... The game gets less lag......

Would you get the same results if you got rid of say the 100 Timers.... Or the 100 Machines... .Or the 100 blah blah...

Now when he says they got rid of the tanks.. Did they get rid of the tanks.. Or the whole mod? In which case his sudden new lag free server might be because they just nuked all the Quartz crystals that are around....

This is the stuff that we need to know..

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
They only manually broke the valves of each tank.
Yeah, that is how they actually test if their theory is correct...

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
"@ray73864 according to the FTB team it is a problem with the code. It gets 10000x worse the moment any of the tanks get full."

"@ray73864 again, I will refer you to the creators of the mod that are aware of the issue and intend to fix their code."

Except Soaryn has tweeted that he doesn't know what the hell Guude's talking about, and he's the mod's creator.