i think i have a wisp problem....

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
Its also worth noting that due to some code magic, Thaumcraft nodes remain active even when in unloaded chunks - so if you have one node with a buttload of flux, it'll try to balance it out and draw vis from nearby nodes, which in turn try to balance out their flux and draw vis from nearby nodes. So even if no-one has done anything thaumcrafty near spawn, if that node is getting tapped to refill another node, its gonna create some flux.

Best bet is to find the core node with all the flux, build a pure node nearby till its bigger and merge the two. it should purify itself overnight. Though if there are multiple nodes with high\dangerous flux levels, you might need to manually purify several nodes till the vis transfer\flux generation balances itself out.

masa

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I went back to spawn with the goggles and there is an unstable node at the altar thingy, and the flux level is High. I moved the wisp spawner to the nearby ocean with a gravity gun and then built a stone brick + glass room around the altar. While building it (about couple of minutes), two wisps spawned inside the node already.

Now I will just wait and see how the situation develops :p At least the wisps won't be floating all over the spawn area anymore, I hope...

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I went back to spawn with the goggles and there is an unstable node at the altar thingy, and the flux level is High. I moved the wisp spawner to the nearby ocean with a gravity gun and then built a stone brick + glass room around the altar. While building it (about couple of minutes), two wisps spawned inside the node already.

Now I will just wait and see how the situation develops :p At least the wisps won't be floating all over the spawn area anymore, I hope...

Unless it has changed recently actually encasing the node full as in putting blocks over it stops any wisps spawning as they actually spawn in the node so just bill a filled in cube on top of the node and they should stop spawning.

masa

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, but what happens to the flux if it can't release by spawning wisps? Will it start to flow outwards or something? Or will it just start thundering and other crap?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Hmm, but what happens to the flux if it can't release by spawning wisps? Will it start to flow outwards or something? Or will it just start thundering and other crap?
The latter.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, these images are so pretty.

Too bad that they hurt like hell when in large numbers, because it would be really nice to live in a place with nice lights like them.

masa

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick update if someone wants to know what happened. As I wrote earlier, I built the glass cage around the altar and moved the wisp spawner to the ocean shore (shouldn't matter if there are no players near the spawner, right? right?). After that, there have been no wisps piling up at the spawn, and the hostile mobs spawn normally on the overworld. Also, when I go and check up on the altar, there have been no wisps inside the cage either.
So it seems that somehow the wisps got stuck and not able to despawn if they were able to leave the altar area(?) Maybe they wandered to the edge of the loaded chunks and got stuck there somehow? Who knows. Anyway, there seems to be no problem atm.