Overheating computer help!

Dragonborn Engineer

Jul 29, 2019
caV1b9n.png

As you see, even core 0 and core 2 temp is out of bound, so it shows negative temp, and core 1 and 3 shows really frightening temps. This is taken when I am playing FTB ultimate with optifine, and it seems that my computer could melt down at any time. Any suggestion for a good cooling solution?

My pc spec:
Core 2 quad
GeForce 210
Powerlogic 250 watt and 500 pure power something
6gb ram

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
1. This program seems weird , get something like coretemp. it works better.
2. SHUT DOWN the computer if the temperature is above ~85C , higher than that may cause damage to the processor.
3. Check where your computer is ? if it is in a tight place without air circulation move it. or maybe you need to upgrade your cpu fan , the stock fans are pretty weak ( check if there is a switch between P and Q and select P , it will work better )

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Either that SpeedFan is misinterpreting the provided thermoresistor readings or your thermoresistor has screwed the pooch. Try using HWMonitor or something similar (it's pretty obvious SpeedFan is not reading some stuff right as it says your 12v rail is 3.58V... which is not possible; well it is but your PC wouldn't be on to monitor it :p)

How old is your setup if you're running a Core 2 + GeForce 210? If you're comfortable doing some tech work yourself, I would recommend cleaning off the old heatsink compound off the CPU and using something like IC Diamond (could be a breakdown in the application or a bad application).

Unfortunately, Minecraft is a pretty CPU intensive game even with some shuffling of the load to the GPU. When mods get added, we're just adding more load to that pile of stuff the CPU has to do (for various reason I won't get into here... suffice to say not everyone codes things the same).

Dragonborn Engineer

Jul 29, 2019
YZ5ueA0.png

It doesn't change? All temp monitoring program (SpeedFan, CoreTemp and HWMonitor) shows extremely high temp and the +12v is still at 3.52v... And yes, it only happens when I run minecraft... Maybe it is time to me to bring this to the tech because the last time I opened up my computer to lift up my heatsink from the processor, it won't boot
Or is that the source of the problem?

Edit: And this is the temp after I closes the FTB

Bw0NTSs.png

NegoDark

Jul 29, 2019
Had the same issue with my i5 few months ago, re-appliying the thermal compound fixed.

It's pretty simple and there's loads of tutorials in the web.

Reactions: LightKnight

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
You do know you can't run the thing on lava, right?
LOL! I totally get the joke, How about adding 360k Coolant cells? LOL! Now on topic yea get better cooling fans or if you overclocked your PC enough you'll may even need water cooling systems. You may be able to cool it down with a fan by your PC and that should bring the temp down at least a little with added circulation. Your PC room may also be too hot so turn on your AC if that's the case. Also never put your PC by a heat vent and/or sun or anything that may heat up the thing more.

Dragonborn Engineer

Jul 29, 2019
How about using several helium cells? Anyway, base clock here, no overclocking after all, but I will definitely buy a new fan here, because it is hot here. But if I have the money, definitely I would want to try some watercooling, so I can overclock a bit

TheDJParadox

Jul 29, 2019
All I can say is get a better cooler with a larger heat sink and make sure that the fans that you get for said heat sink are pushing enough air needed to the processor. If this does not effect the temperature at all I would suggest making sure that your processor does not have a faulty heat sensor.

F

frenchiveruti

Had the same issue with my i5 few months ago, re-appliying the thermal compound fixed.

It's pretty simple and there's loads of tutorials in the web.
Hello!
I'm here, two years later, because i found myself in the same problem, CPU Temps AVG 80ºC, after applying a new Thermal Compund (Artic Silver MX-2) on my i5-4590 @ 3.0Ghz, the CPU Temperature Average went down to a more normal ~60ºC
Thanks Nego Dark!