How do you use a quartz grindstone?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Squidgen

Jul 29, 2019
So, I finally found some quartz and made a quartz grindstone. However, I neglected to find out how it actualy works. I just assumed that right clicking would activate it, but it just brings up the GUI. How do I work this thing?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Don't you need one of those handcrank thingamabobs in the top of it?

Or something?

I'm just grasping at straws, really. I've never used the manual grindstone.

Squidgen

Jul 29, 2019
Hand cranks? I remember seeing one of those while scrolling through NEI... I'll give it a try.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Its pretty complicated, I'll give you that. I'll guide you through it.

Steps:
1. Click hand crank.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Its pretty complicated, I'll give you that. I'll guide you through it.

Steps:
1. Click it.

You missed a step.

Steps:
1. Apply Hand crank.
2. Click it.

You have to do that first, crucial step, otherwise you just bring up the GUI. Pretty comparable to trying to turning on a fan before you plug the damn thing in.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
You missed a step.

Steps:
1. Apply Hand crank.
2. Click it.

You have to do that first, crucial step, otherwise you just bring up the GUI. Pretty comparable to trying to turning on a fan before you plug the damn thing in.
You forgot step 0: craft the hand crank.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use a turtle.

I'm glad some people don't get rid of "exploits" or whatever you want to call it.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use a turtle.

I'm glad some people don't get rid of "exploits" or whatever you want to call it.
If you are talking turtles, I'd like to see this.
Turtle gets items from the chest, goes to the grindstone, puts items into it, then whacks the handcrank until items are grinded, then takes them out and maybe smelts them in a furnace.
If turtle is used just for whacking the crank, it's not very interesting. Not really an exploit, just a bit... dumb.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
If turtle is used just for whacking the crank, it's not very interesting. Not really an exploit, just a bit... dumb.
drinking-bird-works-o.gif

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
If you are talking turtles, I'd like to see this.
Turtle gets items from the chest, goes to the grindstone, puts items into it, then whacks the handcrank until items are grinded, then takes them out and maybe smelts them in a furnace.
People claim it's an exploit because the point of the grindstone was to provide free maceration while requiring time consumption/self work. I actually think the turtle thing is pretty crafty, but then again they say it's not fair because you can just copy/paste the turtle program. But this is going nowhere and I think it's mostly been settled.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
People claim it's an exploit because the point of the grindstone was to provide free maceration while requiring time consumption/self work. I actually think the turtle thing is pretty crafty, but then again they say it's not fair because you can just copy/paste the turtle program. But this is going nowhere and I think it's mostly been settled.
Meh, I just think that power in mods is for using it, and not for "I can grind items without any power even though it takes much more time to do so". That's not OP/non-OP thing, just logic...

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like by the time you make a turtle and program it, you could just make a pulverizer. /shrug

This is my line of thinking.

If the grindstone were the only means of doing this, I'd see the merit. Buuut, I skip completely over the grindstone because by the point where I desperately need double ores, I usually have a macerator and a generator.