Best way to mine?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Actually if I remember the events right, Mojang announced the Enderchest feature, the mod beat them to implementation, and then the feature was released. Of course, I could be mixing that up with some other feature...

wizy

Jul 29, 2019
i was wondering , is there a way to time how frequently wooden pipes emit the items , or smth like that . Because everything seems to be out of sinc and when automatizing , items get lost due to overflows.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
i was wondering , is there a way to time how frequently wooden pipes emit the items , or smth like that . Because everything seems to be out of sinc and when automatizing , items get lost due to overflows.
No, but you can pull with several wooden pipes from same container.

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
If u are talking about chest overflow, what Tylor said. Put 2 exiting pipes with an engine on each. I have 4 miners with 4 ender chest and my 2 electric engines are more then enough to pull everything to a diamond chest. I whish highest tier gates would pull stuff faster. Pipes look neater without an engine stuck on their side.

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
which one the recycler? if so then just put a few upgrades, it will eat stuff pretty fast. most machines in IC2 take upgrades for speed, power and energy storage.

wizy

Jul 29, 2019
mainly generators and engines , cause im using charcoal and scrapboxes for energy

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
well since i dont think generators are efficient, i dont use them past the starting point. get some EU going. if i were you, i would mess around with auto set ups after i have and efficient energy system going. and if u need EU away from the base for like a miner, use a solar panel or take an energy crystal or a lapotron crystal with a MFE or MFSU with some transformers so your miner or machine wont explode.

DR3ADLORD

Jul 29, 2019
The best way to mine depends on what you are trying to mine. For diamonds I prefer using mining turtles because they easily make up for their cost. What I do is dig down to y: 11.000 and set the turtle to tunnel for 50 or so blocks and I do that in huge squares. There is no programming required for this because the tunnel feature is implemented into the turtles already. The tunnel digs out a 3x2 area (3 wide x 2 high) and for how ever many blocks you specify (don't overdo it because if it goes to an unloaded chunk it stops working). This makes it easy to find diamonds and redstone.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
For me the best way to mine is some form of sweet assed mining tool to clear dirt\stone (used to be TC2 or EE2, atm it's an adv diamond drill) a nice Fortune pick and a nice Silk touch pick, a few Forestry bags 2miners\a diggers, Xeno's Reliquary torch staff (always forget the damn name of it) and a lot of tunneling at around y=12 either in the overworld, a myst age or in a Dense Ores age (with survivable negative effects). Most people want to automate mining, I don't, it's a fun scavenger hunt that is somewhat soothing to just roll along digging away with very few worries :D

Hawk Weisman

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I think frame bores/quarries are the way to go. BC quarries and IC2 miners just feel cheap - I like having built it myself.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If it's digging by hand, IC2 laser is awesome.

Lower power mode - like drill, but digs INSTANTLY. Cons - small chance to lose mineral, laggy graphics in SMP. So, it looks like this - you approach vein of coal, click all blocks and after a second they all drop.
Long range mode - instant vertical shaft to get from underground to surface or back
Horisontal mode - 10-long horisontal tunnel in two clicks. Longer in Nether, because Netherrack is soft.

Replace M and Q keys, so you can easily swap laser mode, or have several lasers with different modes on hand.

I usually explore natural caves/mines, keeping to diamond altitude, using laser for digging and moving around freely underground.

If you have Thaumcraft, WoET loaded with saplings (or anything else that drops instantly when placed, but I only know saplings) is great for digging veins.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Saplings? Wow, I heard of doing that trick with cacti, but those don't all drop. Saplings is brilliant. Thanks for the trick.

Kelmian

Jul 29, 2019
I go with a good Silk Touch III and Fortune while having a quarry run. :D

There's nothing like getting diamonds from 65, 15... or whereever there is coal. Was coal.

thenoobofthewest

Jul 29, 2019
The best way to mine is a red power 2 tunnel bore, they require some effort but the materials are not expensive. Then i use an ender chest to move the items to my base and then it feeds into a ME chest system so far i have about 500 diamonds 30 iridium and 3 million cobble. Direwolf20 has done a tunnel bore video you guys should check it out. I literally sit at my "factory" building a fusion reactor as more materials come in.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
The best way to mine is a red power 2 tunnel bore, they require some effort but the materials are not expensive. Then i use an ender chest to move the items to my base and then it feeds into a ME chest system so far i have about 500 diamonds 30 iridium and 3 million cobble. Direwolf20 has done a tunnel bore video you guys should check it out.
please only revive dead threads when you actually have something constructive to ADD to the conversation.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
That was constructive. It is the best way to mine. Yet it's relatively unknown.
I'd not say relatively unknown, it's been common since before frubes.

Relatively unknown used to be the BC miner (until DW did it). Or possibly the IC2 miner. RP2 is one of the common methods, up there with quarries and turtles.

Cata3rd

Jul 29, 2019
I have a giant frame quarry that is shaped like a pig. You just see the pigs stomach lower and start ripping through the ground.