Can you automate a quartz grindstone?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Open Eclipse, learn a bit of the Java api regarding mouse control, and make your program toogle "hold right click" when you press CTRL+$ ?

I once did something similar for Torchlight enchanting, because it was just plain boring to do 20 times the same gestures.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Open Eclipse, learn a bit of the Java api regarding mouse control, and make your program toogle "hold right click" when you press CTRL+$ ?

I once did something similar for Torchlight enchanting, because it was just plain boring to do 20 times the same gestures.
You used to be able to configure the mouse buttons to caps lock in vanilla Minecraft, but I think it got patched :(

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The whole "caps lock" was not quite what you would expect anyway.

I remember that many people (myself included) tried to put sneak on it in order to make it a toggle.
Long story short, it didn't work.

But yeah, mapping the click to the keyboard makes it way easier to just put a small weight on it and go do something else.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Then you better get a nice heavy book to hold down that mouse.

Not from my testing, thankfully. Hopefully grindstones never become automatable.
You didn't test enough. An engineering turtle can turn that crank forever with 0 fuel cost. I really wish Greg would Nerf those turtles. At least make them take fuel for every action, instead of just movement.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Very glad they can be automated. Very sad they might get nerfed, possibly without config. Greg's pretty good with giving us choices though, that's why i don't completely hate Gregtech xD

Jul 29, 2019
I'm normally one of the types who doesn't want to make things more difficult than they need to be (I would have uninstalled gregtech in a second if it wasn't for the configs undoing the nerfs).

But I also agree it doesn't make sense to automate the quartz grindstone, even if you could. It's just a super-early game item you'll replace with a macerator/pulverizer in your first few hours of play. Not saying there's anything wrong with the option but otherwise, why get concerned over it?

However, in full disclosure, I also tried the deployer+timer thing when I first got the quartz grindstone...

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
My latest world I didn't build a pulverizer for 5 or 6 rl days. Not because the grinder is that good, it's a ton slower, I just don't want to progress very fast.

Reactions: Chocorate

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
You can turn the crank with an Engineering turtle doing turtle.attack(), you can get your dust out doing turtle.suck() from the side, and you can load an ore doing turtle.dropUp() from the bottom.

It's actually faster than a pulverizer and energy free. However you don't get the extra ore chance.

This is my goto for pre power structure.

Two chests. Grindstone. Charge station + Redstone engines.

Have the turtle suck from a chest and dropUp the ore. Turtle moves up next to crank and performs an attack and sleep(1) 512 times.
The charge station is placed here to recharge the turtle (2 Redstone engines.)
The turtle then moves down 1, sucks twice, then moves back under the grindstone. Here it dropsDown slot 1 and 2 into chest 2 then sucks and dropUp again.

Enjoy

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Quite simple really, I got married about 6 years ago and had a daughter. I then bribed her to help daddy with minecraft using her mothers account. Easy automated grinding. :p

Game, set, and match.[DOUBLEPOST=1365911842][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm not sure why you'd want to automate this, though. It's really only useful in two ways:
  1. Doubling the ores of your first hour of mining so you can make a pulverizer and an engine to power it.
  2. Proving a point about where ore doubling sits in the balance of things.
I feel like AlgorithmX2 wrote a letter to Greg and said, "Dear Greg. You are super-wrong about your macerator recipes and the balancing thereof."

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, it's too slow. I'll stick with pulverizer or couple of them. Why not use power if you can? Economy is nice, but using that instead of macerator or pulveriser is a bit... different from the usual concept. There are many things that sacrifice efficiency for increased speed - overclocker upgrades, Electrical engine upgrades and so on.