News Mod Permissions

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Starting from today, we're reaching out to certain mod authors to ensure we have their continued support and permission to use their mods in FTB modpacks.

Prior to the Twitch partnership we would reach out to mod authors who didn't use an open license (like MIT) for permission to redistribute their mods.

When we partnered with the Twitch/Curseforge distribution platform, this permission was granted by the Terms of Service. As you're likely aware, the partnership with Twitch has ended and as a result we are now reaching out to mod authors to ensure we have their continued support and permission to use the mods as we switch to other distribution methods for our modpacks (i.e. the new FTB App).

Whilst partnered with Twitch we also distributed modpacks via our legacy launcher. Although this was done in good faith, we now understand that we should have reached out for permission for doing that. This is an oversight that I personally find unacceptable and it should never have happened. I can only apologise for this oversight.

Should a mod author choose not to allow us usage of a certain mod, we will respect this decision. We would work to source a replacement mod or find a way forward for the modpack without the inclusion of that mod. At worst, this could mean we have to remove a modpack from active distribution whilst we work on an update.

We are looking forward to the continuing support of alll mod authors and hope that we can keep all of our packs in their current form. However, we are commited to not breaking the foundations that FTB was built upon and we will ensure we respect the wishes of mod authors.

For mod developers:

If you currently have a mod that has a license that restricts redisribution in any way, we are going to make every attempt to reach out to you with regards to this situation. If you want to pre-empt this either with providing or removing consent, you can do this by emailing us at [email protected]. We will do our best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Right now we have a list of just over 1000 mods we have to check, so this may take a few days to go through the list. However this is now our number one issue and we hope to resolve this as quickly as possible.

zaq_hack

Jul 29, 2019
Still happy to see the split. I know hundreds of others have said as much, but loved the FTB launcher and Curse was okay. It all went sideways with Twitch. It is good to see you all back on your own and working to push content as fast as you are to the community. Hopefully, his will let us get into new territories like McJty's Ariente and other stuff that has perpetually been "just out of reach." Looking forward to seeing what gets learned from Omnia, too.

Long live the modders!

Charlie J. Whitford

Jul 29, 2019
For slowpoke and all the modders that have made this community possible I say thank you. I learned most of what I know before there was Minecraft. I worked in the corporate sector and played games when home. Then in the latter part of 2010, while surfing the internet, I came across an offering from a Swedish concern named "Minecraft", that was offering free plays of its new sandbox game. I rapidly downloaded the program, then spent over 50 hours playing, except for necessities, continuously. After that, I purchased an absolute, Nonrestrictive license. I have been playing ever since. Mojang is a major company and "Notch", even though not related to Minecraft. still cranks out games, though a lot slower now.
As I am kinda in left field when it comes to Java programming,I play today for the newer modded packs that stirs my blood as the original did years ago. I continue to watch and play new packs as they come out, such as OMNI, but I still love the simple and elegant garden cloches introduced in SF3. Packs that still can scare me in a deep cave, or that have the multi-hued creepers, I am ready.
For all the modders that have taken the time to create... more power to you. I thank you all!

Don Redhorse

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my god, I'm so glad that I can use a client again on macOS which is taken care of, just opened a ticket with twitch because the jar launcher they supply 1.6.91 is already not working since Sep 2019 (see https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-11993) and now even the newer launcher doesn't work because Mojang moved from Amazon to their own (I guess Microsoft) distribution platform.
The only problem now is that all the people are creating modpacks for the Twitch Launcher only (which I can understand, I did create my own also a long time ago, it was very easy).
Keep on going guys!

CharZinta

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my god, I'm so glad that I can use a client again on macOS which is taken care of, just opened a ticket with twitch because the jar launcher they supply 1.6.91 is already not working since Sep 2019 (see https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-11993) and now even the newer launcher doesn't work because Mojang moved from Amazon to their own (I guess Microsoft) distribution platform.
The only problem now is that all the people are creating modpacks for the Twitch Launcher only (which I can understand, I did create my own also a long time ago, it was very easy).
Keep on going guys!

I'm hoping that as things progress that part that was great about FTB, and to a small part curse, will come again. I understand they have to take time and revamp, redo and workon, a lot of things but I am looking forward to finding a 3rd party mod pack solution that isn't a crap shoot if it works or not (aka twitch)

Lone Lycan

Jul 29, 2019
With the purchase of a new beast of a computer (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vHfvyk), I somehow find myself back here in search of a monster of a pack to feed this beast.

I don't know if anyone might remember me anymore... I used to help out a bit in the IRC channel assisting the hopeless new laptop purchasers with getting through their grief of buying a piece of junk that wouldn't possibly handle the newer modpacks, but eventually tired of the whole minecraft thing sometime shortly after the curse of Curse moved in. I hadn't even looked back here or at minecraft at all since then, until now. I'm happy to see FTB is thriving, and on its own with a brand new launcher, and can't wait to dig into all the new stuff I've missed over the past oh i don't even know how many years it's been.

--
Lone Lycan / LoyLT