Launcher isn't saving java settings

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
P

Phaseshifter

Every time I use the launcher, I have to change the JRE from the default to a more recent version, and change the arguments from the default.

Saving settings apparently does nothing.

Is there a configuration file somewhere that I can alter manually?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
You have to unlock the profile or the Twitch settings won't save... Think of it as "Write Protecting" an SD card. The Unlock box is on the same page as the memory allocation slider.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Every time I use the launcher, I have to change the JRE from the default to a more recent version, and change the arguments from the default.

Saving settings apparently does nothing.

Is there a configuration file somewhere that I can alter manually?

If you're using Twitch app - set ram system wide over all packs using the Twitch app settings - (not on the minecraft launcher that comes up after pressing play on the Twitch app).

Instructions (follow the link):
https://imgur.com/a/R9eKA

Or you can do it per pack as well (but I strongly suggests the above approach) - right click the pack - select profile - press the 3 dots:
upload_2019-1-29_22-39-9.png

Untick "Locked" and "Memory settings"
upload_2019-1-29_22-54-16.png

Pull the slider:
upload_2019-1-29_22-41-12.png

Then press Okay:
upload_2019-1-29_22-41-40.png

But my suggestion is that you set the memory globally (this is also where you change to a different java version, switch from native to jar - https://imgur.com/a/0wVhh )

You're still using the Twitch launcher? Well, there's your problem right there!

MultiMC. Faster, stronger, better.

Sure MultiMC is a good launcher - but it also brings a extra layer of complexity, so perhaps not the best advice for OP (and doesn't really answers the question).

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Sure MultiMC is a good launcher - but it also brings a extra layer of complexity, so perhaps not the best advice for OP (and doesn't really answers the question).
I would say that it *removes* an extra layer of complexity, not adds, which makes it a better solution than the OP was hoping for. There's 'answering the question posed', then there's 'how to avoid the problem in the first place'. My response is the latter.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
'how to avoid the problem in the first place'

Regardless of launcher you still need to allocate the right amount of ram, using the right way for the chosen launcher.

The problem isn't the choice of launcher - even if that's what you're trying to push for.

You presented a answer based on a belief that you have, like with any "tech religion war" - it doesn't answer the question asked.

It's about the same as me saying - "I have a issue with my browser being in fullscreen mode on my windows machine", and someone gives the answer "You should use linux or mac instead, because that's avoiding the problem in the first place".

Just saying...

Reactions: Hambeau