HELP !

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
E

erik_the_newbie

please help me i m completely new to modded minecraft and thought about ftb as a good start, sadly as soon as i start the game i get freezes every 4-5 seconds IT S ABSOLUTELY UNPLAYABLE T-T ! i have no idea why it doesn t work, my computer has i7 16gb ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060, which seems enough but i can t seem to find out what is the pb...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
How much RAM do you allocate for Minecraft?

What modpack?

And many many other details required :p

There's a lot of things that can cause that. If it's freezing like that immediately, then there's a conflict of some kind with either the mods or resource packs or shaders if you're using them. If not, and you're using a well-known modpack without any edits, it could be that you don't allocate enough RAM and it's constantly having to collect the garbage.

There's also a million other things it could be :) I guess just start spewing out whatever details you think might help and maybe it'll catch someone's eye.

E

erik_the_newbie

4gb i think and i took the ftb beyond 1.11 version

E

erik_the_newbie

before i launch it it says forge 1.10.2 is it fine or do i have to redownload forge all over again ?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That *could* well be it. I'd bump that sucker up to at least 6. I run it at 10. Try higher and if it's better at first but runs into the same issue later on, it's the garbage collector.

before i launch it it says forge 1.10.2 is it fine or do i have to redownload forge all over again ?

I'm 99% sure Beyond is 1.10.2

E

erik_the_newbie

all the freezes are gone !! thank you so much, i pumped it to 10gb it seems to be enough, although i have a 3-5 second delay before i can access for example crafting tables, is it normal ? will it fade away ?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
You'll probably still have to do some tweaking. I remember having similar problems with this pack. I'm at work right now, but I'll send you the java arguments I used that helped me.

E

erik_the_newbie

thx
yeah i still have a few troubles for examples the framerate blocked at 35 for some reason but i ll definitely find a way

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
There's a very small window of the peak amount of ram to allocate... Too little and the program is having to slow down to swap parts of the program in and out to operate... Too much and the background "Housekeeping" processes don't have time to finish, causing execution to lag a bit.

If you start seeing issues I'd drop the allocation down to over 6 but under 8GB. I have found on my system that about 7GB works well enough on all the 1.12 packs I've tried so far.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Consider adding optifine. It will let you tweak settings you otherwise can't. And on that end, you'll have to experiment for several hours.

Also, be mindful of the view distance. I was running this pack at 32, which I look back on and I'm not even sure how it was possible. It's a hefty pack. Keep it under 16.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
There's a very small window of the peak amount of ram to allocate... Too little and the program is having to slow down to swap parts of the program in and out to operate... Too much and the background "Housekeeping" processes don't have time to finish, causing execution to lag a bit.

If you start seeing issues I'd drop the allocation down to over 6 but under 8GB. I have found on my system that about 7GB works well enough on all the 1.12 packs I've tried so far.

I have this issue in Stonebound, works fine, but a big lag spike every minute or so with 6gig allocated, no texture packs. I had heard it was a big pack (even though the quest book is not that big) maybe I'll bump it down to 5 gig...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I allocate around 7GB... just under, in fact. I use the Twitch launcher to control the profiles, and so far about 7GB has been good for every 1.12 pack I've tried. The pack build may have had problems, but not game performance :D I get a consistent 120 fps using a GTX 1060 w/6GB as a performance mark. I'd probably do better as I have Video settings locked at 120, but unlocking allows fps to bounce too much which can cause other problems.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
thx
yeah i still have a few troubles for examples the framerate blocked at 35 for some reason but i ll definitely find a way

Do you have a motherboard with built-in graphics? Many of the "budget" motherboards do. Putting in a card like your 1060 doesn't guarantee it'll be used unless you completely disable the built-in or "Integrated" graphics.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Another small tip - make sure your running a 64 bit version of java if your cpu is 64 bit. Running a 32 bit version caused issued for me on accident.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Another small tip - make sure your running a 64 bit version of java if your cpu is 64 bit. Running a 32 bit version caused issued for me on accident.

For one thing, even if you have 64GB ram on a 64-bit system running a 32-bit Java you will only have a maximum of 4GB available because that version of Java only knows about a 32-bit address range.