filtering an item out of multiple chests (SkyFactory 3)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
L

Lupus_Z

So...... as I said I'm playing skyfactory. I've made a simple mob spawner: the mobs fall of the tower and die, so that the drop remains at the bottom, but now I can't figure out what to do with that massive amount of things. My simple idea was to put a lot of chests with some hoppers, to have a lot of storage for all the things, but I want to filter some thigns like rotten flesh, bones, strings, chance cubes, lootbags etc. I can do this simply by putting an item transfer node with a filter in it and attach it to a chest, but (here comes the problem) there are multiple chests, that means I should attach a filtered transfer node to ALL the chests and hoppers, and that's not very practical, if I want to filter like 20+ items. By the way, I'm still in early-game, I still can't afford an ME container. I thought of:

"cool things" = all the things I want to filter out of the drops
"bad stuff" = other things

- putting all the drop in a chest, with 2 pipes attached: 1 that transfers all the cool things to another storage (where I can extract them and do whatever I want) and 1 that transfers the rest to other storages. But If I do that, the pipe for bad stuff will suck cool things to, I should need a filter that accepts "every item instead of x", but I don't think there is one in SkyFactory
- nothing else :,)

How is my english? I'm italian, btu I want to learn ;,D

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If I remember from the last time i played a skyblock, you could just suck all the items out of the collection chest and send them along a line of storage crates with the items you want to keep in them, a "junk but maybe useful later" chest at the end of that, then another pipe to pull out the "i'm never going to use this stuff" items to pump into a trash can. This is low tech filtering, but normally how I start up until i get something like AE2 or RS going.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
1 suggestion:
link the hoppers and just use 1 chest, and then filter out from that chest to other storage / trash

Reactions: Pyure

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
Study Ender IO transport pipes and nodes. You can connect several storage devices together and extract single items using one extractor node and a filter.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
1 suggestion:
link the hoppers and just use 1 chest, and then filter out from that chest to other storage / trash
This is my preferred method too.

* Stuff goes into buffer chest
* Stuff gets sorted as possible into whatever permanent storage medium I have
* Junk gets whitelist-filtered into trash

If you're really confident you'll never trash anything good, you can instead whitelist the good stuff and trash everything else by default (But I don't usually do this.)

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
The item conduits are very flexible but a bit confusing at times, however, Extra Utilities 2 has Transfer and Retrieval which is a more straight forward.
Storage drawers has a controller, you can input stuff at the controller, I am just remembering, and I would connect a retrieval node to the controller for stuff I would need sent else where.
Storage drawer are cheap also.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Storage Drawers is my go to also. Make a wall of drawers set to void for flesh, bones, arrows and whatnot.
I usually throw a few capacity upgrades into the String and Ender Pearl drawers. If I remember correctly you can compact the Loot bags in SF3 then filter feed the 3rd tier bag to another compacting drawer so you sort up to Legendary bags without having to play with them.
From there I usually dump the rest into a diamond chest or a couple double chests and let it run for a while then use that as my template source for a trash filter to get rid of unwanted armor and whatnot.

Reactions: deadscion

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
Storage Drawers is my go to also. Make a wall of drawers set to void for flesh, bones, arrows and whatnot.
I usually throw a few capacity upgrades into the String and Ender Pearl drawers. If I remember correctly you can compact the Loot bags in SF3 then filter feed the 3rd tier bag to another compacting drawer so you sort up to Legendary bags without having to play with them.
From there I usually dump the rest into a diamond chest or a couple double chests and let it run for a while then use that as my template source for a trash filter to get rid of unwanted armor and whatnot.
There ya go,,,heh