NuclearCraft - A Modern Physics Mod

Turi

Jul 29, 2019
Wanted to say that i really have come to like your mod.
At first, I was looking at all the different isotopes and thought that it would be way too cumbersome to bother with that, but then I found the RTGs and really wanted to have some. Because mobile, single block, independent power sources with infinite energy that can either provide base line power to my base or power remote tools? Sign me right up.
But for that I had to run a reactor, so I did that. And then realized how delightful complex your system for reactor build was, with so much room for experimentation, and I was hooked. Especially after I realized that I need two stages to produce Pu-238.

And i have not even started with fusion power.

It is definitively my new favored energy generating mod :)

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Wanted to say that i really have come to like your mod.
It is definitively my new favored energy generating mod :)
Thanks for the kind words!
With buildcraft still crawling out of limbo, uranium RTGs have become a sort of redstone engine replacement. Nice to know they are serving you well :)
If you're playing with the latest NC (2.8 and above I think), fusion electromagnets now require 100 RF/t each to run, so even a size-1 fusion reactor will require you to have at least 10 kRF/t of power already available to burn.

Hopefully when I finish my next term at uni I can get started on actually starting to add molten salt reactor stuff - I've nearly finished all of the textures for the 231 (!) new fission fluids being introduced... we've all been waiting a long time for it now.

And by the way, for those who have built, or are planning to build, very large fission reactors, v2.8c fixes the bug where the maximum output of the fission reactor was stuck at 64 kRF/t. The max output rate will now scale with the size in the same way as the capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daihok and Pyure

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Version 2.9 of NuclearCraft has been released! I will make a video on the new mechanics as soon as I can - it's not too different, but mainly deals with some exploits and adds a bit more flexibility to placing cells and graphite! Changelog below:

+ Added new OPTIONAL (disabled in config by default) fission reactor mechanics
+ This includes new power/heat calculations and more interesting placement rules
+ Added more heat info to the Fission Controller GUI

+ Added all molten fission fluids and some recipes involving them

* Increased default electromagnet power requirement
* Decay Generator will now cause all depleted blocks to decay down as far as Thorium-230

* Added more integration recipes
* Tweaked some Ore Dict entry names
* Fixed an error where the Melter was registering faulty recipes
* Tweaked some block and fluid textures

* Updated Forge
* Updated IC2 and JEI APIs

* Possible other things that I have forgotten
- Removed Paulobrine and Herobrian

Last edited:

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
I should mention, by the way, that if you have not already built any fission reactors, have made sure they're all turned off or simply want to do some testing, then I highly recommend enabling the new fission reactor mechanics.

There is also some 'experimental' reactor mechanics being added for those who want to test out some of the more unsettled ideas I have about how fission should work in the future - in 1.13, for example :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I should mention, by the way, that if you have not already built any fission reactors, have made sure they're all turned off or simply want to do some testing, then I highly recommend enabling the new fission reactor mechanics.

There is also some 'experimental' reactor mechanics being added for those who want to test out some of the more unsettled ideas I have about how fission should work in the future - in 1.13, for example :)
What are the changes? From what you're saying, I gather the "new" mechanics are different from the "experimental" ones?

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
What are the changes? From what you're saying, I gather the "new" mechanics are different from the "experimental" ones?
Yeh - take 'new' to mean better and 'experimental' to mean alpha.

Basically, the new mechanics are only really there to do five things:
  1. Make coolers that were previously not so great more useful
  2. Prevent the exploitation of water/diamond coolers
  3. Allow for more flexible cell/graphite placement
  4. Fix efficiency calculations
  5. Make it easier to calculate which fuels can be used in a particular design
1. Before the change, some coolers, such as the quartz and liquid helium, were just appearing in too many of the good designs in testing. Their rules, as well as others, have been changed to make other coolers the better option more often.

2. In the old system, you could just tessellate water and diamond coolers around the inner casing of the reactor without much thought or effort. That is no longer possible - all coolers now have to touch other active coolers or the cells and graphite in some way.

3. There can now be up to four (by default) graphite blocks between reactor cells, which should make cooler patterns a little more interesting. Remember though - only the graphite directly adjacent to cells will generate additional power!

4. For some bizarre reason that I can't understand, I originally had the additional heat and energy generated by graphite be proportional to the number of cells in the reactor, which made no sense. This is no longer the case with these new mechanics.

5. The additional heat generated by graphite is now proportional to the base heat of the fuel, rather than the base energy.

As for the experimental changes... well, so far there isn't much as I've only just introduced the idea, but I will probably start with deprecating fuel rods and just making the fuel pellets what are inserted into the reactor. After that, I may take a bit of inspiration from Big Reactors and try tinkering with making the use and depletion of fuel a continuous process - reactors with more cells would need more fuel in it at any given time to be full and generate the max amount of power. I also want to play with separating moderators and neutron reflectors. Right now, graphite is effectively both. Perhaps different moderators and reflectors should have different stats, too.

Also, in the next version of NC onward, beryllium blocks can be used in place of graphite as a moderator/reflector :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethosos and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeh - take 'new' to mean better and 'experimental' to mean alpha.

Basically, the new mechanics are only really there to do five things:
  1. Make coolers that were previously not so great more useful
  2. Prevent the exploitation of water/diamond coolers
  3. Allow for more flexible cell/graphite placement
  4. Fix efficiency calculations
  5. Make it easier to calculate which fuels can be used in a particular design
1. Before the change, some coolers, such as the quartz and liquid helium, were just appearing in too many of the good designs in testing. Their rules, as well as others, have been changed to make other coolers the better option more often.

2. In the old system, you could just tessellate water and diamond coolers around the inner casing of the reactor without much thought or effort. That is no longer possible - all coolers now have to touch other active coolers or the cells and graphite in some way.

3. There can now be up to four (by default) graphite blocks between reactor cells, which should make cooler patterns a little more interesting. Remember though - only the graphite directly adjacent to cells will generate additional power!

4. For some bizarre reason that I can't understand, I originally had the additional heat and energy generated by graphite be proportional to the number of cells in the reactor, which made no sense. This is no longer the case with these new mechanics.

5. The additional heat generated by graphite is now proportional to the base heat of the fuel, rather than the base energy.

As for the experimental changes... well, so far there isn't much as I've only just introduced the idea, but I will probably start with deprecating fuel rods and just making the fuel pellets what are inserted into the reactor. After that, I may take a bit of inspiration from Big Reactors and try tinkering with making the use and depletion of fuel a continuous process - reactors with more cells would need more fuel in it at any given time to be full and generate the max amount of power. I also want to play with separating moderators and neutron reflectors. Right now, graphite is effectively both. Perhaps different moderators and reflectors should have different stats, too.

Also, in the next version of NC onward, beryllium blocks can be used in place of graphite as a moderator/reflector :)
Another fine fission mod to borrow inspiration from is ReactorCraft. I actually find its simulation to be the most interesting since its based on actual chain reactions.

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Another fine fission mod to borrow inspiration from is ReactorCraft. I actually find its simulation to be the most interesting since its based on actual chain reactions.
Yeh, I remember playing with it a while back - was pretty cool. That’s basically what the graphite/beryllium moderation does but in a much simpler way (by just increasing fuel efficiency).

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Just vaguely wondering... instead of adding the experimental part as a configurable option, should I just release experimental builds alongside the stable builds a la IC2 back in the ~1.6 days?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just vaguely wondering... instead of adding the experimental part as a configurable option, should I just release experimental builds alongside the stable builds a la IC2 back in the ~1.6 days?
I dont think so? IC2e was kinda unpopular for various reasons.

Personally I'd almost prefer if the option is there, but that it gave me the ability to do both ingame. In other words, I'd have both a Controller and an Experimental Controller, so that I could tinker with both systems to compare/contrast.

Reactions: turbodiesel4598

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I'd almost prefer if the option is there, but that it gave me the ability to do both ingame. In other words, I'd have both a Controller and an Experimental Controller, so that I could tinker with both systems to compare/contrast.
Totally missed this the first time I read your post... hmm, certainly an idea. So we would have a recipe to turn the 'legacy' controller into the new one?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Totally missed this the first time I read your post... hmm, certainly an idea. So we would have a recipe to turn the 'legacy' controller into the new one?
That's probably simplest yeah. Wouldn't make a lot of sense in a public server (unless it was a testing server) but for people like me who want to provide feedback and comparisons, its the most convenient (assuming the systems can run at the same time, code-wise)

V

Vyraal1

Just curious, I only browsed through the first initial pages and the last page, but couldn't find any designs for min-maxing the fission and fusion reactors. Does anyone happen to know the practical max a fission and fussion reactor can produce? Right now for fusion the max I could get was 3.7m rf/t on 95% efficiency with Deut-Trit. Haven't attempted active cooling yet, and for Fission not' really sure where to start except for a theoretical spamming of 24 x 24 x 24 build with Enderium Coolant in the corners, Quartz Blocks, and Active cooling resonant ender with a cube of reactor cells in the middle.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm making a 1.12.2 pack and I'm progressively tiering all of the power options together, and nerfing/buffing certain mod powergen based on how complex they are, I think NuclearCraft infrastructure for a fusion reactor is 'more difficult' than Mekanisms' but a Steam Turbine from Mekanism can make up to 97M RF/T, however before I can start buffing NC, I would like to know the max total outputs of energy/steam/etc.

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
That's probably simplest yeah. Wouldn't make a lot of sense in a public server (unless it was a testing server) but for people like me who want to provide feedback and comparisons, its the most convenient (assuming the systems can run at the same time, code-wise)
Do you think we could just make the 'new' controller what is obtained from crafting? So all of the old, previously made controllers would run using the old rules, and new controllers would use the new rules. As long as I put a warning message on the new controllers for a few versions, letting people know that old designs may not work, we shouldn't run into any issues, right?

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious, I only browsed through the first initial pages and the last page, but couldn't find any designs for min-maxing the fission and fusion reactors. Does anyone happen to know the practical max a fission and fusion reactor can produce?
By default, the max a fusion reactor can produce is simply determined by the most powerful fuel combo and the maximum ring size - by default, that's a max-efficiency D-T reaction in a size-24 reactor. It comes to 1600*100*24 = 3.84 MRF/t, which is basically where you were at.

Fission is a little more tricky - not even I know what the absolute max a Mark-1 reactor can produce is. The best I can do for now is speculate (I will consider the new fission mechanics) with some back-of-the-envelope calculations.
The typical reactor 'chunk', i.e. set of cells and coolers, typically reaches a size of about 6*6*6 to 10*10*10 if built carefully, depending on the fuel used. Let us take the average, 8*8*8, and fill a 24*24*24 reactor with 27 of these chunks. On average, each cooler will contribute ~80 H/t of cooling,for a total of ~40 kH/t of cooling. Let us take the fuel core of the chunk to contain 12 cells at about 300% efficiency, which is equivalent to 36 cells energy-wise and ~80 cells heat-wise, dependant somewhat on graphite/beryllium placement. So our fuel base heat can be at most ~40000/80 ≈ 500 H/t, so we'll use HECm-245 Oxide fuel. The base power of this fuel is 907 RF/t, so a chunk will generate 907*36 ≈ 32 kRF/t, and our reactor will generate ~864 kRF/t in total.
Again, this is very much an estimation, and I have not considered the use of active coolers which would bump the result up a little bit, but it should be a reasonable guideline :)

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a manual for this mod? Or is it all by random guesstimating how to make it work?
The tooltips, although I agree are more clumsy than a book, should hopefully be just about enough, with a little bit of spatial awareness, to build the basic structures. As for filling fission reactors... well, that's up to the player to figure out :)