VoxelMap - Do not want!

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
so I have to use a launcher to launch a launcher... launcherception! or the FTB group could implement that stuff into the normal one.

Well technically the FTB launcher is a launcher that launches a launcher as well. It launches the Minecraft launcher, MultiMC is the same as FTB in that way but has way more features for the user. I am sure FTB launcher will catch up some day, but until then MultiMC is by far the better launcher. It even has a nice and convenient import from FTB feature!

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
so I have to use a launcher to launch a launcher... launcherception! or the FTB group could implement that stuff into the normal one.
The point of the FTB launcher is to be 'fire and forget.' Easy install of mods, ID conflicts resoved, etc. With that convenience comes some loss of control/customization, which it seems you desire (as do I). MultiMC allows you the best of both worlds, if you will. Import Ultimate (or your pack of choice) into MultiMC, then when the pack updates, you can simply drag over the mods that updated, and not have to worry about losing your custom mods or configs.
It also makes it dead easy to set up multiple mod configurations, (e.g. one world with, one w/o GT), total conversion mods like TFC, a variety of different texture packs, or a straight vanilla instance all from one place. Can't recommend MultiMC enough.

jalfje

Jul 29, 2019
The point of the FTB launcher is to be 'fire and forget.' Easy install of mods, ID conflicts resoved, etc. With that convenience comes some loss of control/customization, which it seems you desire (as do I). MultiMC allows you the best of both worlds, if you will. Import Ultimate (or your pack of choice) into MultiMC, then when the pack updates, you can simply drag over the mods that updated, and not have to worry about losing your custom mods or configs.
It also makes it dead easy to set up multiple mod configurations, (e.g. one world with, one w/o GT), total conversion mods like TFC, a variety of different texture packs, or a straight vanilla instance all from one place. Can't recommend MultiMC enough.
personally, i use both - multimc for vanilla (with some additions, e.g. rei's minimap) and mods that aren't supported by FTB, but i also use FTB, mainly because i don't like the hassle of downloading all the mods myself. and yes, i know multimc has an import, but why should i bother? all it does is move some files (so that i can add/delete mods at my convenience - which i can do with FTB anyway). anyway, any time a pack updates, the launcher asks if you want to back up configs.
Really, the only problem with the whole voxelmap thing is that it shows mobs & caves, and for people that like difficult minecraft, that sucks. For people that like easy minecraft, it's good. I personally like easy minecraft (to some extent), and so this would be good for me if i played mindcrack - but that's another thing - idk for sure, as i don't watch the mindcrack guys, but the mindcrack pack is made with the mod that are from the mindcrack server. so it's not the FTB guys' fault, it's the mindcrack guys.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
personally, i use both - multimc for vanilla (with some additions, e.g. rei's minimap) and mods that aren't supported by FTB, but i also use FTB, mainly because i don't like the hassle of downloading all the mods myself. and yes, i know multimc has an import, but why should i bother? all it does is move some files (so that i can add/delete mods at my convenience - which i can do with FTB anyway). anyway, any time a pack updates, the launcher asks if you want to back up configs.
Really, the only problem with the whole voxelmap thing is that it shows mobs & caves, and for people that like difficult minecraft, that sucks. For people that like easy minecraft, it's good. I personally like easy minecraft (to some extent), and so this would be good for me if i played mindcrack - but that's another thing - idk for sure, as i don't watch the mindcrack guys, but the mindcrack pack is made with the mod that are from the mindcrack server. so it's not the FTB guys' fault, it's the mindcrack guys.

I don't watch all of the Mindcrack guys' videos, but I do watch a lot of them and every single one of them said Voxel's is cheaty and have tried to find a way to turn off the mob and cave radar, so as far as they are concerned, I don't think they had any say in the decision to put VoxelMap in the Mindcrack pack. I think it was more a matter of they wanted Rei's but Rei's has been replaced with Voxel, so they didn't really have a choice if they wanted to continue using any kind of map mod in the pack.

Zerren

Jul 29, 2019
Are any of the voxel mods useful? I've disabled them all after being spammed with nyan cats and preventable lag.
What is their purpose again? I thought mods needed a clear purpose to be included into FTB.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Are any of the voxel mods useful? I've disabled them all after being spammed with nyan cats and preventable lag.
What is their purpose again? I thought mods needed a clear purpose to be included into FTB.

all of the crap they make (besides the menus, why the fuck to move the buttons?) is amazingly useful for creative/map making servers, not for survival/FTB.