Error message

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
M

Manicminer

Title Error message

Launcher Type FTB Launcher

Modpack many

Modpack version many

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file

Details of the issue For a while now, every now and again when trying to install a new mod pack, it gets so far then this pops up:

Addon Install Error
Curse encountered a problem during this operation.

Error:
The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must
be less than 260 characters and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please can anyone help me with some advice to fix this problem. I have updated Java, reinstalled the launcher and reinstalled minecraft. I am at a loss. Also explain what this means.
Thanks to anyone who can offer any help.
Aires49

M

Manicminer

I'm sorry I'm a real Noob at this. I run it straight from the curse launcher. The Curse launcher is saved in my: (C:) Users/myname/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/StartMenu/Programs 'file'.

M

Manicminer

Umm sorry about the smiley face It was supposed to be the prefix lol.

M

Manicminer

I have also found it in: This PC> Documents> Curse >Minecraft.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Can you open the Curse launcher and open settings (the wheel), go to Minecraft (on the left side).

What does it say for "MINECRAFT INSTALL LOCATION" ? (mark it all and do a copy and paste it here, or take a screen dump and share that)

M

Manicminer

C:\Users\susie\OneDrive\Documents\Curse\Minecraft\Instances\Project Ozone\resourcepacks\Real Nature v2.2 MC 1.7-1.8
No idea why it says this i dont have project ozone installed as it didnt work.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Yea that's your issue right there - that means that every pack is installed in the folder
Real Nature v2.2 MC 1.7-1.8

Try and shorten it down to c:\users\susie\onedrive\curse\minecraft
(if you still want to use onedrive that is)

Reactions: ICountFrom0

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I am suggesting to try "Long Path Tool" program.

1 - this is a 4 month old post

2 - That software wouldn't solve this issue - as this issue is about installing and then running a softwarefrom a location where it would lead to longer names than 260 chars, not to copy or delete.

3 - Even if the issue was to copy / delete files with long file name path - why not use the things that are already on the computer instead of a 3rd party software?
(on the top of my head thinking robocopy and PowerShell - or just to create a mount point if the person wants to do it manually)