Block of the day

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Let's try this game:
1. Pick a favorite block from any mod you've played;
2. Explain what it does and why is it so good;
3. Optionally link relevant images with this block;
4. Don't post the block if you are the one who created it.

The goal is to get familiar with cool blocks you possibly haven't seen or used yet.

I'll start with the Marker from a mod 'Builder's Guides':

HqUge9e.png

This block is intended to be used as a guide for building structures. It can display various 'ghost' shapes for assitance. Here it shows the shape of two walls:

N6zPKmh.png

There are several modes and shapes, including spheres, cuboids, stairs; they are quite configurable by a tool of this mod (you can rotate, expand/shrink, change color and such).
I've used it mostly for outlining range of monster spawners or farms.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'd be inclined to say: the humble Phantomface, from Actually Additions.

This block, when linked to another using a phantom connector, will act as the block its linked to in terms of being an inventory. So for example, you can pump items into the phantomface, and they will go into the linked block; you can also pump items out (or Retrieve items from) the phantomface in the same manner. This is SUPER useful, as it means you have many more sides from which to act on a block.

Reactions: Alexiy

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
The tesseract from TE4. It was amazing being able to move ALMOST everything wirelessly(*cough* gas *cough*). Now you must use Ender chest, tanks, and flux points to do the same thing but in multiple blocks.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The tesseract from TE4. It was amazing being able to move ALMOST everything wirelessly(*cough* gas *cough*). Now you must use Ender chest, tanks, and flux points to do the same thing but in multiple blocks.
The Ender IO Dimensional Transceiver can do power and items, and apparently fluids, though I'm not sure on that one! :) But yeah the Tesseract is a great block!

Reactions: MrMonsterGuy18

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Today's block is Item Interface from Actual Additions:

fbitG6J.png

The manual says that this block is like an aggregator of inventories which are linked by Item Laser Relays. It has no GUI, but it provides an ability to do operations on connected inventories at once. For example, you can transfer items from all connected inventories through this block to other place or insert items by Hopper and alike. Kind of like Grid with limited functionality.

For me, it is quite convenient to use with a Fine Crafter from Fine Stuff (WIP mod), which uses similar ways of accessing inventories. Fine Crafter is a block for semi-automatic item processing using existing machines. It acts similarly to Ref. Storage's Crafter, but is able to both insert inputs and retrieve results. For example, it can fully automate brewing stand:

AgAIGvG.png

In this case, Fine Crafter operates with Item Interface using Inventory Scanner:

tOALc6O.png

It gets inputs through the Item Interface and returns the results.
Remote technologies for the win!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
New day, different block. So the old computercraft turtle. It mines, it builds, it monitors and automates crafting, it kills and collects XP, possibilities with this one are just endless.

Reactions: MrMonsterGuy18

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
The Big Reactor From Big reactors! (aka Extreme reactors in 1.10+) You can make it pretty much as big as you want, and each block has an effect on how much power is produced per piece of Fuel and how much rf/tick is outputted! It is #1 on my favorite Power gen mods!

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
The Big Reactor From Big reactors! (aka Extreme reactors in 1.10+) You can make it pretty much as big as you want, and each block has an effect on how much power is produced per piece of Fuel and how much rf/tick is outputted! It is #1 on my favorite Power gen mods!

Fusion reactor from mekanism. you post reminded me that there are generators besides Botania.

The Reactor generates A TON of rf

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Oh man, don't even get me started on multiblocks. How do I love thee, let me count the ways...

Going back briefly to a single block (technically) the IE garden cloche. It LOOKS awesome, with its bell jar, plants visibly growing inside and so on; its mechanically effective - it needs water, power and fertilizer but it produces a steady stream of whatever crop you put in there; its fairly easy to automate, if you have a source of bonemeal; its just... GOOD.

The only negative I've heard are that certain seeds (ExU2 ender lily is a known example) have caused hard crashes when placed inside. I believe that's fixed in latest versions, but I don't know if that's the case for the version in Beyond, so I'm nervous to test it. Also (and this is a lack of knowledge on my part) I don't know whether you need dirt or mycelium to grow mushrooms in one - if its the latter, that could be annoying.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Going back to reactors, there is one more I have to mention. The nuclearcraft fission reactor. It is basically a puzzle to figure out the cooling of the thing, and it generates a decent, but not ridiculous amount of power.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Going back to reactors, there is one more I have to mention. The nuclearcraft fission reactor. It is basically a puzzle to figure out the cooling of the thing, and it generates a decent, but not ridiculous amount of power.
Aw man, I've been meaning to have a play with that, it looks AWESOME :D

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
The tinkers crafting bench (or something like that). It stores up to 9 stakes of items and can craft. The number of times I forget something early game is unbelievable.