Advanced safe?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

vince959

Jul 29, 2019
There is an item in NEI called advanced safe. It uses a personal safe to craft and electric buffer, so I think it might be Gregtech version of the safe and also an upgrade? But it has less space than the personal safe and a slot with an arrow in it. Searched a bit and no info available. Anyone has idea what its for?

Sprung

Jul 29, 2019
The benefit current is that only TNT can open the safe if it is not yours. The admin can't open it any other way to steal from it. Tools won't break it if it is not yours. Additionally you can feed items into it with pipes.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, so if an admin thinks you have a hacked item, he has to blow up your base (or on servers without TNT block destruction, it just can't be done) or just ban you.

Congratulations, the game just got harder, FOR THE ADMIN.

Honestly...

If you have admin that steal. Leave.
Yeah to be honest why does this item exist?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I have no idea why he made it so admins couldn't open it, but there is a valid reason for it to exist. The regular safe cannot have items pumped into it, so there is no way to automatically store valuable things you find. The advanced safe lets you pump things in, but not out.

Tiny Gadget Bunny

Jul 29, 2019
I could not agree more. If you have an admin that steals its time to leave. They have all the power in the world to have ANYTHING they like and without you even knowing it. So whats the point in taking your stuff, unless you stole it and they confiscated it. I am an admin and run a Mindcrack/Mystcraft server and we only use the standard safes. I wish I knew how to disable the advanced safe altogether, because they are just completely wrong. Anything that locks out an admin from seeing what goes on with his/her server is just not right. If I see them on my server they get a TNT sendoff, and a warning not to use them again.

Just one girls opinion :)

p.s. I have set them to false in the gregtech config files and that does not seem to eliminate them. Anyone out there have any other ideas?

TGB

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
I've used it to store supplies on a server where we are all admins, mostly for pranks or little surprises. Makes it a lot easier to hide WIP shenanigans in that instance, without having to literally hide them.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The Advanced safe is a baffling block. It's worse than the IC2 safe in many ways, not the least of which is that it is not creeper-proof.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced safe absolutely needs work, the idea is good, a personal safe that allows for automation, but the execution where admins can't access it is baffling to me. I know how to make it so admins can access it, and I know Greg does as well, it is literally like 3 lines of code, so I don't know why it isn't in in the first place.

Tiny Gadget Bunny

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced safe absolutely needs work, the idea is good, a personal safe that allows for automation, but the execution where admins can't access it is baffling to me. I know how to make it so admins can access it, and I know Greg does as well, it is literally like 3 lines of code, so I don't know why it isn't in in the first place.

Ok so what are the 3 lines of code may I ask :) If I cannot remove them I would at least like to make it possible to be used properly.

TGB

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Uhm.. why does an admin have to have access to that safe? I mean, an admin knowing his or her tools of the trade does not have to worry about "illegal" blocks or the likes and if a player wants to store away stuff out of anyone's sight, so be it. And in case it is obvious, that action has to be taken due to someone hacking/duping/whatever.. well.. it CAN be destroyed with TNT and it's not really a shame to use this, as the person owning the a-safe has done something very wrong in the first place and probably is not a healthy addition to your servers' community. Though if I were said admin, I'd probably spawn in an ICBM and place a sign down the hole saying "That'll teach ya!". ;)

I mean, if it's just a case of "I r teh admin. I must haz teh powah.".. thats a bit dodgy for an admin in the first place. ^^

Reactions: Jess887cp

vince959

Jul 29, 2019
Uhm.. why does an admin have to have access to that safe? I mean, an admin knowing his or her tools of the trade does not have to worry about "illegal" blocks or the likes and if a player wants to store away stuff out of anyone's sight, so be it. And in case it is obvious, that action has to be taken due to someone hacking/duping/whatever.. well.. it CAN be destroyed with TNT and it's not really a shame to use this, as the person owning the a-safe has done something very wrong in the first place and probably is not a healthy addition to your servers' community. Though if I were said admin, I'd probably spawn in an ICBM and place a sign down the hole saying "That'll teach ya!". ;)

I mean, if it's just a case of "I r teh admin. I must haz teh powah.".. thats a bit dodgy for an admin in the first place. ^^

If the tools are 100% fool proof, indeed you don't have to worry, but there is nothing like that. The tool the admin has, for one, is to disable this item in the config, but in fact it does not work.

And as you say, administrators can only take action when things became obvious and get out of control? It does not make sense to me.
It is like saying stealing or vandalizing in a shop is allowed as long as it is not obvious. If someone steals something large or destroying the shop, well.... that guy CAN be gunned down or beaten to death because it is obvious, it is not a shame to use violence at that point.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
It is like saying stealing or vandalizing in a shop is allowed as long as it is not obvious. If someone steals something large or destroying the shop, well.... that guy CAN be gunned down or beaten to death because it is obvious, it is not a shame to use violence at that point.

In my country, the punishment for stealing/damaging property isn't punishable by death, so I'm not really sure where you're coming from here.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
What I tried to convey is that some seem to overreact about this whole "I can't access a players advanced safe" thing. I do not understand the problem with this. One should've made sure beforehand that there are no "dangerous" blocks available to a mere player, obviously. So I simply don't get it. Maybe an example or two, of what could be stored in the safe AND making it neccessary for an admin to open it would shed some light for me. As it is now, I repeat: It's more of a "There's something I, teh admin, cannot do? Sacrilege! Burn the heretic!". So maybe you can come up with an example that convinces me "Yes, if a player has this and that in his advanced safe, the admin must indeed open it up and take the items away from the player." Again, if it is proven, that a player missuses duplicating bugs or exploits game mechanics to gain an unfair advantage over others, it's clear an admin should take action. But that has nothing to do with a personal advanced safe, as no admin I know would keep a convicted griefer/exploiter on their server, unless it's a quite weird community one. Hence my "nuke his base from the orbit" exaggeration. ;)

vince959

Jul 29, 2019
In my country, the punishment for stealing/damaging property isn't punishable by death, so I'm not really sure where you're coming from here.

That means you do not get my point. My point is not on the type of punishment. Let me put it this way. I think no one should get away unpunished by stealing/vandalizing (not obvious) in any country.

What I quoted is like saying that people should be spared when illegal stuff is done not obviously and the police should not have the right to even check on him.
And when things go obvious and out of control, the police should then take action and the only resolution of police is to cause damage/injury to the person or the person's property (use TNT to blast his safe open).

vince959

Jul 29, 2019
What I tried to convey is that some seem to overreact about this whole "I can't access a players advanced safe" thing. I do not understand the problem with this. One should've made sure beforehand that there are no "dangerous" blocks available to a mere player, obviously.

You just said it yourself. So I consider the advanced safe itself is a hazardous block for server management and should not be available on my server. However, I cannot disable it.

If I allowed it, I should have control over it. But now the situation is it is not allowed and is inside the game and further, I have no control over it.

I can foresee the problem it could cause when its in the hands of griefer/exploiter and I can only deal with it when things get out of control.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea why he made it so admins couldn't open it, but there is a valid reason for it to exist. The regular safe cannot have items pumped into it, so there is no way to automatically store valuable things you find. The advanced safe lets you pump things in, but not out.

I agree. There is a valid reason for it to exist. Automating the storing valuables (i.e. UUM or diamonds) is one good use. The other is keeping bad/nosy admins away from your valuables. There are all kinds of servers and players and admins. A few of those admins have probably overreached their authority, and this is response to that overreach. I have read stories from players of having a pissed off admin for some minor slight. The admin takes it personally and blows things way out of proportion. This is just one way to keep an admin from overreaching his or her authority. If an admin wants to mess with your stuff, they can't do it covertly. It has to be in the open. I don't see a problem with this.

Yes you could move to a new server, but what do you do in the case of a newly appointed admin (that shouldn't be an admin) messing with your stuff where you have already been working on something for weeks. It's kinda hard to justify leaving that server and going to a new one. The better idea would be to protect your stuff while you get the evidence needed to get the unscrupulous admin demoted or banned.[DOUBLEPOST=1364135292][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I believe there is a recipe remover mod where you can disable the crafting of any item you don't want on your server. So there are ways to disable the safe or any other blocks you don't want on your server. (if greg's configs aren't working)

Reactions: Freakscar

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
What I quoted is like saying that people should be spared when illegal stuff is done not obviously and the police should not have the right to even check on him.
Unless you are living in America, that is indeed the case in most "western" countries - a reasonable suspicion is needed FIRST, before any action may take place against the suspect. What you want is a dictatorship over your servers "citizens". Which in the end usually never works out well. But I can agree that we disagree here. I prefer an admin that does his job in a "I trust my players until I'm proven wrong" way, rather than a "I don't trust my players at all" way. Which is fine - I just have to remember to not play on your server. ;)

Reactions: Chocorate