AOIT/Omni tools - worth it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you prefer to use All-in-one tools or just the right tool for the job?

• I heart my AOIT and OmniWrench

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I prefer to use the right tool for the right job

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I crafted my first Actually Additions All-in-one-tool last night. It seems like a pretty great thing. For the cost of a handful of diamond tools, you, too, can not have to try to remember where you left your last hoe because you accidentally jumped on your pumpkin patch.

And it IS useful. But, it's also a double edged sword. For example, while transplanting my array of lava generators to move my quarry, I used my AIOT, which quickly picked up each piece, then immediately vaporized the sand underneath it accidentally. It seems like it was supposed to be best for everyday jobs like this, but with no material barrier, it's pretty easy to do some damage with it. I can use it selectively, but that seems like it defeats the purpose of being all-purpose.

I have yet to craft an omni-wrench, but I'm wondering if I'm going to run into similar hidden problems. Ever use one and run into an issue where you really needed the original wrench for some kind of functionality that the omni-wrench doesn't include? Or have you found that it's just easier to pick up the right hammer for the job?

How do you handle your tools?

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to have a few commonly used tools (bow, sword, pickaxe) on my hotbar, then the rest live in a backpack until I need them. This backpack generally holds tools of all kinds, from my basic shovel, a lumber axe, to things like buckets and ladders. I usually have a second bag for wrenches, pipes, conduits, and other things of that nature.,

Obviously this changes depending on the work I'm doing at the moment. I've not bothered making AIOTs, and probably won't until I play a pack that has those but no backpacks (I cringe to think about being packless again).

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to have a few commonly used tools (bow, sword, pickaxe) on my hotbar, then the rest live in a backpack until I need them. This backpack generally holds tools of all kinds, from my basic shovel, a lumber axe, to things like buckets and ladders. I usually have a second bag for wrenches, pipes, conduits, and other things of that nature.,

Obviously this changes depending on the work I'm doing at the moment. I've not bothered making AIOTs, and probably won't until I play a pack that has those but no backpacks (I cringe to think about being packless again).

I do exactly! yes exactly! the same thing :)

I use the AA Drill which does work for Sand,Gravel,Stone,Ores so only for wood I need extra tool that is in my bag since I usually do not have a wooden Base.

for the Omni-Wrench only problem I had was the EnderIO wrench. This has the option to switch with shift+mousewheel if to see only engery/item conduits.
This is a bit messy since I can only do this if I look on a conduit... but maybe its just me missing a hotkey for this :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I do need to make myself a backpack. I keep putting it off. There's never any end to what needs to get done! lol

I also transposed the I and the O in AIOT like 35 times, including the thread title, lol.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I use individual tools, usually Tinkers Construct for ease of repair, tailored to the job I'm doing. The one multitool I use is the TiCo Mattock, since both functions (hoe, axe) are related in an agrarian kind of way.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
for the Omni-Wrench only problem I had was the EnderIO wrench. This has the option to switch with shift+mousewheel if to see only engery/item conduits.
This is a bit messy since I can only do this if I look on a conduit... but maybe its just me missing a hotkey for this :)

This was my major issue with the omni-wrench. Could not scroll with the enderio wrench made for a very sad captainquirk....