IC2 Mark 5 Reactor Design (1.7.10 experimental)

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
It may be a Mark Five, but it can run continuously! How did I do it? Check this out!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Wow, an IC2 vid, sweet :)

My best guess, you're moderating the number of fuel rods rather than flipping the power switch. Guess I'll have to find out :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oops I was way off. Well kinda. You were doing a passive-cooled reactor, which means you can just extract the coolant cells and replace them. iirc you can't do that with active-cooled reactors (they won't cool down in your other reactor).

I'm also a bit alarmed at how damaged your heat exchangers are. Usually that means they're slowly on their way towards melting, but I'm guessing you're ruled that out.

5000+ eu/t is a massive amount of power for IC2, good job.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Oops I was way off. Well kinda. You were doing a passive-cooled reactor, which means you can just extract the coolant cells and replace them. iirc you can't do that with active-cooled reactors (they won't cool down in your other reactor).

I'm also a bit alarmed at how damaged your heat exchangers are. Usually that means they're slowly on their way towards melting, but I'm guessing you're ruled that out.

5000+ eu/t is a massive amount of power for IC2, good job.

Thank you! The heat exchangers have to get that damaged, so that the reactor hull stays hot enough to get the power level high. They stay regulated by the swapping out of the coolant cells.

Plus, on IC2 reactor parts, the damage value refers more to heat than technically "damage."

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ahh, my old CRCS (Continuously Re-applied Coolant System) reactor design, using banks of quad with coolant cells being swapped back and forth. Good to see someone is still getting use out of the old design.

You can see one of my old posts here about an application of this system, albeit in a somewhat more profligate manner.

The original concept I fleshed out on the old IC2 boards back in 2013, the thread found here and more formalized at this conference.

I wasn't aware this still worked, however. I was told that coolant cells had to be cooled in the towers they were heated in with the IC2-ex branch. Is this not the case?

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't aware this still worked, however. I was told that coolant cells had to be cooled in the towers they were heated in with the IC2-ex branch. Is this not the case?
Not quite. Coolant cells that aren't damaged can go anywhere, but as soon as they're damaged they can only be inserted into non-fluid reactors. If they're already in a fluid reactor they can stay in it, and they can be removed out of fluid reactors and put in normal ones still. The only reason it's even like this appears to be because of a weird exploit from damaged coolant cells emptying their heat weirdly into fluid reactors to produce more heat than it should do.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
It still works in 1.7.10; I haven't tried it in 1.10.2. I haven't even tried the liquid cooled reactors yet because this one works so well. :3

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It still works in 1.7.10; I haven't tried it in 1.10.2. I haven't even tried the liquid cooled reactors yet because this one works so well. :3
Nice! I guess now the only problem is that you don't have a cable capable of transporting that much energy within IC2. I suppose that if Draconic Evolution can handle IC2's EU then that might be a sensible answer. The Tower of Power, CRCS Edition ran something like 32,000 EU/t.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Nice! I guess now the only problem is that you don't have a cable capable of transporting that much energy within IC2. I suppose that if Draconic Evolution can handle IC2's EU then that might be a sensible answer. The Tower of Power, CRCS Edition ran something like 32,000 EU/t.
IC2's Glass Fibre Cables can handle up to 8,192 EU/t. This reactor produces less than that. (I think in 1.7.10 experimental they can handle even more, but they might just cap it off at that limit rather than vaporize. I'm not sure.)