Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yea, Superconductors also work. (And it only outputs about 32,000 EU/t, but in 1,000,000 EU packets. I think the Supercondensator is the only thing that can handle that sort of current and it acts as a transformer?)
I've only messed with the fusion reactor once, I ran superconductors to outside the coil ring, then a supercondensator, then transformers, AESU's. The AESU is my favorite EU storage block, run EV to everything, AESU's on each machine to step it down as required. As you upgrade machines to accept HV, you can simply up the output of the AESU on that machine. Plus each machine gets a ton of storage, so when you're not running the reactor, you can still process stuff for quite a while. Expensive but awesome.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
A Time ago said everybody not to use Chunkloader on a Frames and use World Anchor instead. Can i use Chunkloaders on a frame now?
I don't know what the Problem was with Chunkloaders but i need the bigger Radius for my Lava Pump OFU in a Mystcraft Lava Ocean :O
I'm surprised this hasn't been answered yet. Code Chicken Chunkloaders recently got a "Frame Quarry Certified" listing on her OP, so I assume it's OK.
I want to pipe records in and out of jukeboxes, so they will automatically start playing again when they finish. Neither pipes nor tubes or any redpower machine I've tried (deployer and filter) work. What do?
Not sure it's in Ultimate(the block I'm about to suggest, not the mod), but Minefactory Reloaded recent added a Automatic Jukebox. Pretty sweet.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
A1. Yes you can. Look if they have enough space to grow and don't use Wrathlamps near Saplings. (They make Invisible light blocks that doesn't allow them to grow)
A2. Never tried. I can't think of an reason why not. Why would somebody add Saplings when you can't use them.

Thanks, have you actually done this yourself? I'm aware of the thing with wrath lamps and there are none nearby to affect it. However, now 12 real life hours and neither sapling has grown so I guess they don't work in the overworld?

Anyone else with experience of these 2?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, have you actually done this yourself? I'm aware of the thing with wrath lamps and there are none nearby to affect it. However, now 12 real life hours and neither sapling has grown so I guess they don't work in the overworld?

Anyone else with experience of these 2?
Over in the base tour thread there's a pic of someone with the rainbow trees in the overworld.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/lets-see-some-bases-give-us-a-tour.5793/page-20#post-167854

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
The six planks you get from wood produces more energy than the one piece of charcoal you would get.
I see; but what about the over flow problem? An wouldn't it be more efficient to use charcoal, because if it takes even 3 or 4 wood to match one charcoal, and you out all that in to a furnace and you get 200 smelts or whatever out of it, then yes in the long run it's more power but you'd still have to replace the fuel supply more often to compensate for the rapid deterioration of the planks.

Skanky

Jul 29, 2019
Powersuits: Is there a way to see what weight (or weight range) a particular component has prior to installing it in the suit?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Q: How do I get Ferrous Ingots or Ferrous Ore? I need them for Invar Ingots. DW20.
They are underground, diamond or gold level IIRC but not very often. If you have map from 1.4.2 they may be not generated, but you probably just didn't find any because they are quite rare.

What are the differences between a lappack and a jetpack?
They are similar to differences between Minecraft and Starcraft.

Seriously jetpack allows you to fly, doesn't give any protection. Lappack recharges tools or energy storage devices, also without protection. Jetpack is tier 1 energy storage, so can be recharged in bat box, lappack is tier 2 and must be recharged in MFE or higher, however can provide energy to tier 2 items like mining laser or advanced mining drill.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I see; but what about the over flow problem? An wouldn't it be more efficient to use charcoal, because if it takes even 3 or 4 wood to match one charcoal, and you out all that in to a furnace and you get 200 smelts or whatever out of it, then yes in the long run it's more power but you'd still have to replace the fuel supply more often to compensate for the rapid deterioration of the planks.

If you want to build a smaller system, yes, charcoal is slightly better in density.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Q: How do I get Ferrous Ingots or Ferrous Ore? I need them for Invar Ingots. DW20.
They are underground, diamond or gold level IIRC but not very often. If you have map from 1.4.2 they may be not generated, but you probably just didn't find any because they are quite rare
Also using TE's pulverizer, when pulverizing iron, you will occasionally get a ferrous dust.

Sawmill makes 6 planks per log. .3k heat per plank, or 1.8k heat per log. Charcoal is 1.6k heat per piece. Planks make more steam per log than charcoal, when sawmilled. Plus the sawmill also makes sawdust, 8 sawdust=1charcoal. The sawmill only takes 2mj/t, a 36HP boiler makes 144mj/t. So a Steve's Cart tree farm+sawmill+36HP boiler=142mj/t-any loss from golden pipes, redstone conduits, etc. Over flow can be handled easily. Sawmills output directly into a chest. Boilers can pull fuel directly from a chest. So put a chest next to your sawmill, chest next to your boiler, BC pipes, RP tubes, or golems keep the boiler chest stocked from the sawmill chest.

If your making way too many planks, either set up another boiler or 2, or scale back your tree farm. Want even more energy? Turn all the extra saplings you'll get into bio-fuel and crank up another boiler or 2. Squeeze apples for mulch for the fermenter, and apple juice. Trees are about the most OP energy source, imo. If you do go charcoal, I'd recommend smelting it in a coke oven. Takes zero fuel and makes creosote oil, which is more energy. Coke ovens are dirt cheap, all you need is bricks and sand.

Oh yea, I had a question too. BT battery boxes, which side do empty BT batteries go in and which side do full ones come out? And vice-versa, to keep a remote battery box full, which side do charged batteries go in and empties come out? I'm wanting to transfer BT juice from solar panels to bedrock level with enderchests and BT batteries.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Re Ferrous Ore
They are underground, diamond or gold level IIRC but not very often. If you have map from 1.4.2 they may be not generated, but you probably just didn't find any because they are quite rare.
I haven't found a single one and my 50x50 quarry is down to diamond level. I've also excavated a ton of chunks with turtles. World was generated with DW20 v5.0.1.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Re Ferrous Ore

I haven't found a single one and my 50x50 quarry is down to diamond level. I've also excavated a ton of chunks with turtles. World was generated with DW20 v5.0.1.
Must just be really bad luck? Or the ore not being handled properly by a sorting system perhaps? Ferrous ore generation is not tied to biome or anything like that AFAIK.
But Zjarek is definitely correct that that's how you get it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Coke ovens are dirt cheap, all you need is bricks and sand.
And time. Coke ovens are not fast in the least, thus setting up multiple is a good choice. But even still, they are pretty slow, but produce Creosote Oil, which is needed to produce wooden ties, which are in turn needed to produce wooden rail beds, which are in turn needed for many types of rails. If you plan on using Railcraft and it's rail crafting system, you'll need that Creosote Oil. If you have already gotten pretty far with Railcraft, you're better of using it for energy production, due to better rails not needing wooden railbeds. It's a sub par fuel for the liquid fueled boiler(ironic because it's the only one available with just railcaft), and with GregTech, can be used to produce some EU in a Semi-Fluid Generator. Basically, it's OK for how easy it is to produce for power, but kind of sucks compared to literally anything else(for a liquid fueled boiler, anyway, not sure for GregTech and IC2). Vital for rail production for normal rails with Railcraft, though, plus I like using them for the wooden posts(the wooden ties, I mean), because they look pretty nice for sending power somewhere with copper wires and batboxes. Better wires can be used, but they are fatter and thus don't look as good for my builds.(plus most have a higher loss, but not all) The batbox just looks better in this build anyway. I would use Iron Posts if I had some(and they connected the same way as wooden ones), but then I'd use GregTech Superconductors for my power line, because sometimes it's about looking good, not conserving resources.

Tl;Dr Coke Ovens need a non-trivial amount of time to run, and produce Creosote Oil, which has various uses.

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
How can I stop myself from using the Plasma Cannon on the power tool? I turned it on, but want to turn it off.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Open your tinker table, go to your power tool tab, find the cannon and click on 'salvage' at the bottom.

Do not do this if you don't want to waste the materials you used to craft it. Instead here's a useful solution.

Shift+Mousewheel rotates through power tool modes. If you only have one mode on your tool, you are stuck on that mode.

The Multimeter extension doubles as a nice safety mode, which might explain its icon.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
How can I stop myself from using the Plasma Cannon on the power tool? I turned it on, but want to turn it off.
You can set it to a hotkey via the hotkey menu MachineMuse Hotkey Menu(default key 'K'). You can then turn it on or off with said hotkey. Great if you're trying to turn it off but not remove it. Better then just installing a second upgrade because you thus are doing it On The Cheap.
Do not do this if you don't want to waste the materials you used to craft it. Instead here's a useful solution.

Shift+Mousewheel rotates through power tool modes. If you only have one mode on your tool, you are stuck on that mode.

The Multimeter extension doubles as a nice safety mode, which might explain its icon.
You only lose them 30% of the time, unless you're salvaging a Capacitor from a Battery, in which case that's a 100% chance to lose it.(which sucks for using a HV Battery and having installed it on your tool for example)