Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The ElC RF transfer cables can handle pretty much all the RF. Aside from that, it's pretty much the best way to store and move RoC power over long distances. If you've got Thermal Expansion, then you can fill the superconductors with cryotheum, which can be easier to acquire under certain circumstances.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
(Since reactorcraft and eletricraft questions seem to get dumped in here as well)

In a world with thermal expansion and ender io, is there a reason to use eletricraft over other ways of energy transport?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Efficiency. I haven't tinkered with it much yet personally, but afaik, ElC converts back and forth between shaft power and electric power losslessly (with the right wiring). Converting RF (or other outside sources) on the other hand back into shaft power is not lossless, amounting to up to a 50% loss when using high-end conversion motors. Those same motors also require a certain amount of support infrastructure (lubricant / coolant) to operate and maintain the system, which represents a further energy cost in the overall conversion process. They have their applications, it's up to you to decide whether or not they're worth the expense compared to native methods.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
One question about the terraformer:
I read in older postings that you can use BC landmarks or the tile selector to specify what the terraformer should try to change.
In case of the tile selector it was said that right'clicking the ground adds a "column" for the terraformer. Anyone knows if - like the landmarks - in the end the inside of all the columns you set are part of the terraforming process or do you need to add every single blocks you want to have changed by right clicking it with the tile selector?

(Trying to make some kind of oasis inside a desert, so wondering if I need to use BC landmarks for the rough work of just terraforming the general area and after that the tile selector to make it's shape a bit nicer)

[edit]

Found it out! *cheers*
Really only adds a 1x1 per right-click with the tile selector. So I guess that's more for the fine-work of making a nicer shape of the terraformed area :]

My wrong-doing in the creative-world - and why I asked here - was, that you need to take away the terraformers redstone signal, when you make changes to the area which you want it to work on. Always let it on and then I couldn't test it well.
Guess my oasis can be build soon, now that I understood this machine, it's so amazing and not extremly expensive if you have time to just let it run. *cheers*

Last edited:
C

Cellular

Why are we all burning 100% pure ethanol? Pretty sure the amount of oxygen is hard on engine material in the real world (if you're looking for realism). I might suggest adding some petroleum based power. You could toy with the different fuels extracted from crude oil or tar sand by adding different torque ratios depending on the fuel. Take diesel for example, the compression principles applied in its engine use produce more torque. Another thing on the note of petroleum, if you add it to the game you could also make other lubricants that are oil based.. You could expand even further with oil by adding hydraulics, which would be an interesting alternative to power transfer other than electricity.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think it falls under "acceptable breaks from reality." What you propose would be confounding for players as there already is a fractionation machine for jet fuel production, so either your petrol machine would need a different, potentially confusing name, or you'd have to rename the existing fractionator and risk confusing old hands looking to produce jet fuel. I mean, we're already producing commercial-grade jet fuel using materials mined in Hell and the tears from a floating, fireball-spewing daemon as a catalyst. Compared to that, running on pure ethanol is perfectly understandable. :p

C

Cellular

I think it falls under "acceptable breaks from reality." What you propose would be confounding for players as there already is a fractionation machine for jet fuel production, so either your petrol machine would need a different, potentially confusing name, or you'd have to rename the existing fractionator and risk confusing old hands looking to produce jet fuel. I mean, we're already producing commercial-grade jet fuel using materials mined in Hell and the tears from a floating, fireball-spewing daemon as a catalyst. Compared to that, running on pure ethanol is perfectly understandable. :p

By petrol machine do you mean engines or the fractionation unit? Real life jet fuel is actually kerosene or a kerosene/naptha combination; so I would say remove the fractionation unit and instead introduce a refinery of some sort from which you could procure your various fuels including kerosene. If it needs to be challenging for balance I'd tell Reika to make his own oil gen (that could be made rare) and for BC oil to be incompatible with this theoretical refinery. Another approach would be to change gas turbines so that they're not the best source of power (I've always thought that was kind of weird, using shaft power from a jet engine) and replace them with something else such as a massive, high horsepower diesel engine which would take many resources to construct.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That would require a MASSIVE overhaul of the tech tree for RotaryCraft, alas, and would run the risk of alienating a fair portion of his userbase. Theoretically, you could make an add-on for RotaryCraft that did all this, giving the best of both worlds, but you'd have to confer with Reika to make sure it doesn't hose RoC's progression.

With regards to "petrol machine," I meant the one you're proposing that would produce it, diesel, kerosene, and natural gas, to name a few. I won't speak for Reika, but I've always felt that half the reason he designed the fuels the way he did was to make them renewable, with some effort. Relying too much on worldgen for critical components really hurts a tech mod, just look at how badly the meteors in AE2 were received. With Reika's...unfortunately, and undeservedly, poor reputation in some circles, something like this would just make things worse, unless it were part of an optional add-on.

After all, RotaryCraft isn't all about realism: we've got a tiny wind turbine that can make a pump suck up 20 cubic meters of water a second, pipes made of steel and glass that can transport molten lava and not immediately melt, and gearboxes made of diamonds that we just kinda...smoosh together by hand.

Reactions: lucariomaster2
C

Cellular

That would require a MASSIVE overhaul of the tech tree for RotaryCraft, alas, and would run the risk of alienating a fair portion of his userbase. Theoretically, you could make an add-on for RotaryCraft that did all this, giving the best of both worlds, but you'd have to confer with Reika to make sure it doesn't hose RoC's progression.

With regards to "petrol machine," I meant the one you're proposing that would produce it, diesel, kerosene, and natural gas, to name a few. I won't speak for Reika, but I've always felt that half the reason he designed the fuels the way he did was to make them renewable, with some effort. Relying too much on worldgen for critical components really hurts a tech mod, just look at how badly the meteors in AE2 were received. With Reika's...unfortunately, and undeservedly, poor reputation in some circles, something like this would just make things worse, unless it were part of an optional add-on.

After all, RotaryCraft isn't all about realism: we've got a tiny wind turbine that can make a pump suck up 20 cubic meters of water a second, pipes made of steel and glass that can transport molten lava and not immediately melt, and gearboxes made of diamonds that we just kinda...smoosh together by hand.
This is true for the most part. There might be a more realistic approach to renewable fuels that wouldn't break the game, but I doubt any of you would care to try to convince him to add it anyways, so I'll hold my peace. xD

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Engines running on neat, or straight, ethanol fuel aren't so far fetched (pure ethanol fuel; E100). Brazil has been running them in their vehicles since the 70's and, in fact, one among the first vehicles capable of using neat ethanol was Ford Model T starting in 1908. I can't imagine that Reika would want the overhead involved with creating a new fuel production route and the engines to handle them when it's entirely redundant effort. Asking him for permission to mod your own RotC plugin would probably be more productive if it's really that important to anybody.

E100 is pure ethanol fuel. Straight hydrous ethanol as an automotive fuel has been widely used in Brazil since the late 1970s for neat ethanol vehicles[83][130] and more recently for flexible-fuel vehicles.[131][132] The ethanol fuel used in Brazil is distilled close to the azeotrope mixture of 95.63% ethanol and 4.37% water (by weight) which is approximately 3.5% water by volume.[133] The azeotrope is the highest concentration of ethanol that can be achieved by simple fractional distillation. The maximum water concentration according to the ANP specification is 4.9 vol.% (approximately 6.1 weight%) [134]

The disadvantage with E100-capable engines these days mainly has to do with cold starting them in ambient temperatures less than 15C, which they solve in Brazil by having a small, secondary petrol fuel reserve, which they use to cold start their engines and then switch to E100

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
As an addon, it would be an interesting branch for the tech tree: either go down the renewable path that might not produce as much volume as you want, or go down the path of non-renewables and get more fuel volume initially, but have to hunt for fuel every now and then to keep things running. If nothing else, it'd be an interesting challenge.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
As an addon, it would be an interesting branch for the tech tree: either go down the renewable path that might not produce as much volume as you want, or go down the path of non-renewables and get more fuel volume initially, but have to hunt for fuel every now and then to keep things running. If nothing else, it'd be an interesting challenge.
If you want to make such an addon, I am certainly willing to work with you.

Reactions: Pyure

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Haha, I'm not sure I'd be the guy to make such a thing. It takes time and that's one luxury of which I have very little, for the time being. Maybe once university is over, perhaps.

C

Cellular

Engines running on neat, or straight, ethanol fuel aren't so far fetched (pure ethanol fuel; E100). Brazil has been running them in their vehicles since the 70's and, in fact, one among the first vehicles capable of using neat ethanol was Ford Model T starting in 1908. I can't imagine that Reika would want the overhead involved with creating a new fuel production route and the engines to handle them when it's entirely redundant effort. Asking him for permission to mod your own RotC plugin would probably be more productive if it's really that important to anybody.

E100 is pure ethanol fuel. Straight hydrous ethanol as an automotive fuel has been widely used in Brazil since the late 1970s for neat ethanol vehicles[83][130] and more recently for flexible-fuel vehicles.[131][132] The ethanol fuel used in Brazil is distilled close to the azeotrope mixture of 95.63% ethanol and 4.37% water (by weight) which is approximately 3.5% water by volume.[133] The azeotrope is the highest concentration of ethanol that can be achieved by simple fractional distillation. The maximum water concentration according to the ANP specification is 4.9 vol.% (approximately 6.1 weight%) [134]

The disadvantage with E100-capable engines these days mainly has to do with cold starting them in ambient temperatures less than 15C, which they solve in Brazil by having a small, secondary petrol fuel reserve, which they use to cold start their engines and then switch to E100
Didn't know cold starting with light fuels like that was difficult, I had thought that was only for heavier fuels.

C

Cellular

Also, Reika, you might want to still consider hydraulics as an addition. You could make up a formula for hydraulic oil that doesn't involve hunting for world gen oil. In fact, a lot of factory hydraulic systems use water based fluid instead of oil; the same can be said for lubricants.

C

Cellular

Haha, I'm not sure I'd be the guy to make such a thing. It takes time and that's one luxury of which I have very little, for the time being. Maybe once university is over, perhaps.
I'd be pretty grateful if you did. It would be cool to see a realistic refining process implemented and then used for cool purposes.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Also, Reika, you might want to still consider hydraulics as an addition. You could make up a formula for hydraulic oil that doesn't involve hunting for world gen oil. In fact, a lot of factory hydraulic systems use water based fluid instead of oil; the same can be said for lubricants.
That was not what the problem with hydraulics was.

C

Cellular

That was not what the problem with hydraulics was.
Did you mention an issue with hydraulics? Also, now that you're here... PLEASE list one more damn use of oxygen. All I hear is it has useS, but I can only find one: pulse jet furnace. Tell me all of them.