[Direwolf20 1.10.2] RF to EU?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
C

Chris Hall

I knew some methods to make this happen in the older packs, but those items aren't in this pack...

Anyone know a good method for conversion?

I don't want to run two seperate power generation systems.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Been awhile since I used Immersive Engineering, but that was able to handle both. Can't be sure with the latest version though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Been awhile since I used Immersive Engineering, but that was able to handle both. Can't be sure with the latest version though.
Last I heard this was still valid and its probably the simplest method. Just be warned that if you want to convert large quantities of power, the cables do have an upper limit (and its not very high). In that scenario, multiple cables would be required.

C

Chris Hall

Ah, these wire connectors from immersive engineering. I just tried to power a single extractor them and it didn't work. On wire connector on the top side of the extractor, one on the top side of a capacitor bank. Copper wire between them.

Waila shows power at the capacitor wire connector, but reads dead at the extractor one.

C

Chris Hall

Tested EnderIO capacitorbank to industrialcraft2 batbox. Battery to Battery.

Wire connector functional at enderio capacitor bank, not functional at ic2 batbox or extractor. It appears not to be working with IC2, which is what i needed the EU for in the first place.

Back to square one, need a conversion method lol.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Not even sure why people even bother with IC2 anymore (except for the GT crowd). It's the only mod left which doesn't either use RF or is self-convertible to RF. The -ex branch royally screwed things over to make it even less playable.

Back in the day, it was mandatory. These days... not so much, really.

Also, for easy IC2 power gen, lava generator. Pump in lava, get EU. Done.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not even sure why people even bother with IC2 anymore (except for the GT crowd). It's the only mod left which doesn't either use RF or is self-convertible to RF. The -ex branch royally screwed things over to make it even less playable.
+1 all around. RF isn't really an option since traditional IC2 mechanics desperately do want two-factor energy (amps/volts or whatever they choose to call it), but they have the option to switch to GT's (fully functioning) two-factor model, and they don't even do that. Its ridiculous.

(IC2-ex EU is just extremely-busted RF as far as I'm concerned).

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019

Well, while I recently started with getting into GT (so still don't know if GT is something for me), I still prefer IC2 over most RF mods. Actually I prefer alot of not-RF-mods. Some of them adds some "Convert my power to RF" but that's mainly cause since 1.7.10 it's kinda got into the "You don't use RF? How dare you! Change that immediately or you're considered a bad mod!" way of seeing.
At least that's how it feels like when you look at mods which tries to use their own power-ideas and are kinda "blamed" for trying it.

Not that I think RF-based mods are bad, I think there are alot nice ones. It's just that I think RF is generated far too easy these days and the only way mods try to act against it is in using more and more RF in their machines. (like some kind of "RF-inflation").
[edit]
Actually I think that's one of the main reasons people always search for ways to convert RF into EU first instead of even thinking about using IC2's own power system. RF is so simple to produce.
[/edit]

But I guess that would be a discussion for somewhere else... just wanted to say that there are more people than the "GT crowd" which are not fully happy with the "everything has to be RF" path.

Last edited:
C

Chris Hall

I was going through IC2 because its the only jetpack in direwolf's new pack

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019

Back in the day, it was mandatory. These days... not so much, really.

Also, for easy IC2 power gen, lava generator. Pump in lava, get EU. Done.

Personally I bothered with IC2 only because I was not chasing a ghast on foot to get the angel ring, the jetpack is still one of the easiest entry level flight methods.

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Personally if I go back into IC2 it will be swapping ou the the IC2e version and installing IC2 Classic.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Last I heard this was still valid and its probably the simplest method. Just be warned that if you want to convert large quantities of power, the cables do have an upper limit (and its not very high). In that scenario, multiple cables would be required.

There are 3 tiers of Immersive Engineering wire... Low, Medium and High 'Voltage' (LV, MV, HV) and if you use a weaker tier nothing happens. There are also different tier connection points as well that have to be used appropriately.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
There are 3 tiers of Immersive Engineering wire... Low, Medium and High 'Voltage' (LV, MV, HV) and if you use a weaker tier nothing happens. There are also different tier connection points as well that have to be used appropriately.
I'm pretty sure IE wires removed the ability for RF to EU conversion altogether in 1.10

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hambeau was this reply connected specifically to something I said (incorrectly?) I wasn't sure what you're clarifying. I definitely am aware of the three tiers and how to use them. I also recall that the HV tier isn't very HV, although I should also point out that it IS configurable.

I'm pretty sure IE wires removed the ability for RF to EU conversion altogether in 1.10
Neat, I didn't know this.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Personally I bothered with IC2 only because I was not chasing a ghast on foot to get the angel ring, the jetpack is still one of the easiest entry level flight methods.
Hambeau was this reply connected specifically to something I said (incorrectly?) I wasn't sure what you're clarifying. I definitely am aware of the three tiers and how to use them. I also recall that the HV tier isn't very HV, although I should also point out that it IS configurable.

Neat, I didn't know this.

sorry about that... I meant to reply to the post immediately below yours :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pyure

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I like IC2 because EU is the only power system that hasn't generally turned into create simple over powered generator and never worry about power again. Sure I could have avoided creating a simple deep resonance crystal to power my base with the equivalent of 400 eu/t power. I could have avoided creating the 10k rf/t endergenic generator that runs off of just ender pearls but honestly if it's not that it's just going to be some other overpowered RF generator. IC2 the only thing remotely overpowered is the HV solars and atleast they take a decent amount of resources. IC2 nuclear reactors are pretty powerful but they are also costly and risky.

The only reason I use RF is because IC2 and it's addons don't have a lot of content without GT and GT isn't meant for every pack.

Reactions: Nezraddin and Pyure

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Honestly I like IC2 because EU is the only power system that hasn't generally turned into create simple over powered generator and never worry about power again. Sure I could have avoided creating a simple deep resonance crystal to power my base with the equivalent of 400 eu/t power. I could have avoided creating the 10k rf/t endergenic generator that runs off of just ender pearls but honestly if it's not that it's just going to be some other overpowered RF generator. IC2 the only thing remotely overpowered is the HV solars and atleast they take a decent amount of resources. IC2 nuclear reactors are pretty powerful but they are also costly and risky.

The only reason I use RF is because IC2 and it's addons don't have a lot of content without GT and GT isn't meant for every pack.
Erm.... wut? IC2 was the ORIGINAL 'create simple over powered generator and never worry about power again'.

The other two end-tier generators are neither simple nor overpowered. Deep Resonance can provide lots of power, but requires an extremely complex multi-tier processing system which requires precision so you actually have to put thought into automation. Endergenic generator requires precision automation so minute that tic lag from playing on a server can cause it to fail. Literally losing two tics, that's a tenth of a second by the way, is enough to halve your power output.

Both of these are more expensive, time consuming, and PITA to automate than, say, wall o Geothermal (read: lava) Generators that IC2 still encourages. Heck, they're both harder to automate than an old-school CASUC reactor, although consequences are lower if it does fail. And these days, you don't even need wall o lava generators, just do wall o RTG which, conveniently, produces 32 EU/t each at max, meaning you can still use copper cable to connect them up for minimum power loss.

Also, IC2 nuclear reactors are perfectly safe so long as you build them properly. Speaking as an old-school IC2 nuclear engineer who pioneered a new style of reactor, Deep Resonance is FAR more complex and interesting to both setup and maintain.