Farming in 1.10.2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Okay guys, I'm trying to figure out something for 1.10.2

How do you actually set up an automated farm these days? What mods can be used to do so?

I know there's EnderIO... but let's face it, EnderIO is kinda... umm... well, let's try to find some other way, shall we? The solution to literally every problem can be EnderIO, so let's not.

I was working my way through Curseforge under Farming, and I was kind of really dismayed. Most of the mods under 'farming' are more about crops or harvesting resources. There were tons of 'magical crops' or 'mob crops' or stuff like that... but very little in the way of automating farming. One mod was saying how awesome theirs was... but it practically required CC to actually run the damn thing, which simply will not do. Others basically are saying 'well, just use my block breaker/planter', which is a bad move, because it is impossible to only tell it to break the mature ones.

I'm looking for a mod that:

a) Will give ma a simple automatable way to harvest and collect crops.
b) Runs on RF
c) Doesn't require an excessively complex math-ridden UI to aim properly
d) Doesn't use an excessively complicated redstone contraption to execute
e) neither EnderIO nor Forestry. The former is not suitable, the latter is just made of fail.

I just want to harvest and possibly plant crops. That's it. Think MFR. It doesn't need to be rocket science.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Progressive automation was pretty straightforward in 1.7.10 - I haven't tried it in 1.10 though.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Progressive automation was pretty straightforward in 1.7.10 - I haven't tried it in 1.10 though.
Wasn't too fond of it when I played around with it in AgSkies2, but it WAS competing with MFR at the time and really... that probably wasn't fair to it. Maybe I should give it another go

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know what you mean - can't really compete with the simplicity+effectiveness of mfr, but at least it's not forestry farming :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yeah, I know what you mean - can't really compete with the simplicity+effectiveness of mfr, but at least it's not forestry farming :)
After playing around with it, I just... don't think it is for me, for the following reasons:

1: volume growth is a no-go in a major way. Tons of upgrades needed to get worthwhile volume (or the nether upgrades which require nether stars)
2: Extremely slow. Not so much for the farm, but the chopper is just ridiculously slow to chop a tree down, even over a very small area.
3: It's basically using the EnderIO system of needing a tool that gets damaged periodically. If I wanted to deal with that, I'd be using EnderIO instead.

Reactions: PierceSG

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently using Progressive Automation, simply because there's nothing else out there. I'm actually using the planter and the killer, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed with both. The sword seems to take a TON of durability per hit, and the farm is just... lackluster and farming for upgrades (even with Project E) sucked.
I'm actually debating on creating a bunch of mechanical users from EU2 to plant from underneath, and doing a vanilla style harvest with water/pistons... That's how bad the pickings are.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
3: It's basically using the EnderIO system of needing a tool that gets damaged periodically. If I wanted to deal with that, I'd be using EnderIO instead

To be honest, I'd forgotten about the need to supply tools. In which case, as you say, the EIO farming station is much (much) better.

I've been using it in 1.7.10 for tree farms using BC auto-workbenches and a cobble-gen to make stone axes (wooden axes also work fine but using stone axes means I keep more of the wood and the cobble's free).

The conduits make it pretty easy to get the axes in and the product out and it tears down 2x2 spruce trees in a couple of passes.

EDIT: Re-read your original post so this is not a solution to your problem anyway!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Is Forestry still considered all that bad? If you like MFR farms, I'm surprised you won't tolerate a Forestry multifarm. I'll grant that in higher difficulty configs it was an RF hog.

Then again, I actually haven't used a multifarm in like 2 years because I found them a bit too easy. But I gather you can even make them square now or some such? (Who knows)

Its totally off-the-map different, but you could rig a farm in Botania:
  • Rannuncarpus (planting)
  • Drum of the wild (harvesting...I think)
  • Agricarnation (speed up growth, and they stack)

It'll look cool as hell and it will function quickly. But. It utterly fails your "simple" test and, more critically, your "RF" test.

In 1.10.2 I usually get stuck with Progressive Automation. Lacklustre hardly describes it, and most annoyingly, it consumes tools.

@ShneekeyTheLost, for my clarification since you mentioned chopping: Are you specifically interested in tree farms, or food farms, or resource-crop farms, or what?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So I have no idea which mods have been updated to 1.10.2 yet.

Thaumcraft? Golem farms have adorableness on their side, if they are bit fiddly. Hey maybe the newer versions will fix the derpy AI that leads to Golems wandering off to god knows where...

Auto-clickers will work if agricraft is installed. Not sure if Agricraft is on 1.10.2 yet but the right click harvest/replant is grate :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So I have no idea which mods have been updated to 1.10.2 yet.

Thaumcraft? Golem farms have adorableness on their side, if they are bit fiddly. Hey maybe the newer versions will fix the derpy AI that leads to Golems wandering off to god knows where...
Sadly not in 1.10 yet (1.8.9)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Is Forestry still considered all that bad? If you like MFR farms, I'm surprised you won't tolerate a Forestry multifarm. I'll grant that in higher difficulty configs it was an RF hog.

Then again, I actually haven't used a multifarm in like 2 years because I found them a bit too easy. But I gather you can even make them square now or some such? (Who knows)

Its totally off-the-map different, but you could rig a farm in Botania:
  • Rannuncarpus (planting)
  • Drum of the wild (harvesting...I think)
  • Agricarnation (speed up growth, and they stack)

It'll look cool as hell and it will function quickly. But. It utterly fails your "simple" test and, more critically, your "RF" test.

In 1.10.2 I usually get stuck with Progressive Automation. Lacklustre hardly describes it, and most annoyingly, it consumes tools.

@ShneekeyTheLost, for my clarification since you mentioned chopping: Are you specifically interested in tree farms, or food farms, or resource-crop farms, or what?
We're talking crops and trees, explicitly no resource crops exist in the pack. Potatoes, wheat, and lumber are what I'm primarily after. Later on, I'll probably include Pam's stuff like Spinach and White Mushrooms and Soybeans.

I'm actually not including Botania. Not the least reason because they're now building off of unstable alphas of Baubles, whereas a couple of other mods in my pack use the stable version, and they are strictly incompatible with each other at the moment. But also because I'm not a particular fan of the changes that occurred.

I haven't used Forestry since 1.4ish, I really am not a fan of that mod, and do not wish to use it. How the mighty have fallen.

I may just have to suck it up and use EnderIO. I don't particularly want to, but I don't see any viable alternatives at this point.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
We're talking crops and trees, explicitly no resource crops exist in the pack. Potatoes, wheat, and lumber are what I'm primarily after. Later on, I'll probably include Pam's stuff like Spinach and White Mushrooms and Soybeans.

I'm actually not including Botania. Not the least reason because they're now building off of unstable alphas of Baubles, whereas a couple of other mods in my pack use the stable version, and they are strictly incompatible with each other at the moment. But also because I'm not a particular fan of the changes that occurred.

I haven't used Forestry since 1.4ish, I really am not a fan of that mod, and do not wish to use it. How the mighty have fallen.

I may just have to suck it up and use EnderIO. I don't particularly want to, but I don't see any viable alternatives at this point.
Thanks for clarifying. Out of curiosity are you at liberty to produce a modlist that we can review before trying to answer blindly?

At a glance, I do agree that you're in a bit of a bind.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Thanks for clarifying. Out of curiosity are you at liberty to produce a modlist that we can review before trying to answer blindly?

At a glance, I do agree that you're in a bit of a bind.
Well, Baubles just updated a new stable release, so all the mods can work together. However, I'm still not really all that fond about Botania. I mean, sure... it was really popular in 1.7.10... but I never really got why. It was basically 'here, have some baubles to play with when you aren't using TC's baubles'. The rest of the stuff was just... meh. Then there was all the drama. Blech. Then, to enforce the 'no passives for you' mantra that was adopted mid-cycle, there simply aren't any passive flowers anymore. Meh. Not going to bother with the mod anymore, to be honest.

You can see the entire list of mods here. You may notice Forestry on the list, but it is an Optional mod that I personally don't play with. It was included as optional upon request for those who actually like playing around with bees. Gendustry is also included so you can play with bees without bashing your head into a wall quite so much, and it depends upon Forestry, otherwise it won't let itself install.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, Baubles just updated a new stable release, so all the mods can work together. However, I'm still not really all that fond about Botania. I mean, sure... it was really popular in 1.7.10... but I never really got why. It was basically 'here, have some baubles to play with when you aren't using TC's baubles'. The rest of the stuff was just... meh. Then there was all the drama. Blech. Then, to enforce the 'no passives for you' mantra that was adopted mid-cycle, there simply aren't any passive flowers anymore. Meh. Not going to bother with the mod anymore, to be honest.

You can see the entire list of mods here. You may notice Forestry on the list, but it is an Optional mod that I personally don't play with. It was included as optional upon request for those who actually like playing around with bees. Gendustry is also included so you can play with bees without bashing your head into a wall quite so much, and it depends upon Forestry, otherwise it won't let itself install.
I could care less about baubles. I keep a ring of magnetization if its the best magnet in a pack, and sojourners sash thingy if there's nothing else to speed me up, but that's about it.

I do find the tech side of botania to be a bit more interesting though. When you get into compound lenses and such, you can do things like chop down trees with a bolt of mana, which is actually a very energy-efficient way to chop trees. Sending mana around via sparks and spreaders is also kinda neat when you're using mana for industry (farms etc).

For mana generation, most people just set up automated endoflame farms. Lately I've been setting up automated munchdew farms which are a bit more interesting.

Thanks for the list. Sucks its on multiple pages btw but I'm just griping now. I don't really see that you're missing much. You could use RFtools' "Builder" to harvest things I suppose, but you'd still need a planting apparatus.

EnderIO it is I guess.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Out of pure curiosity, Shneekey, why are you loathe to use EIO? It doesn't seem too different to MFR in terms of functionality.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Out of pure curiosity, Shneekey, why are you loathe to use EIO? It doesn't seem too different to MFR in terms of functionality.

Like most folks, we would like to see some other alternative to Ender IO. It's a great mod, but there should be more options when it comes to farming.

Forestry Farms are doable, but either us olds have done them to death and never want to see one again, or just ignored because old mods are old...
Ender IO is in virtually every pack, due to it's versatility, but just like other mods, some get bored of setting up the same set up in every world.
Progressive Automation is a mod... that seems to need more work.. I've never used it due to always hearing how lackluster it is. I hope the mod maker is taking some constructive criticism and working to add/remove things that are/are not working.
Botania can autoplant/harvest tree farms, but due to the limitation of not being able to place the flower directly above a tilled soil block, it can't do "normal" farms. Now if you have some sort of farming dirt block that doesn't change back to dirt when covered by another block, this is possible, but clunky when it comes to timing/harvesting efficiently.

The OP does bring up a good point though. There are a lot of food mods, hunger mods, and cooking mods, but we are stuck with either old, over done, or highly inefficient mods to farm.

*wishes he could make mods* LOL