Starting Over - Which Version/Why?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

If your world was FUBAR and you had to start over, which MC version would you choose?

Votes: 10 90.9%

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Visit the way-back machine (1.6 and previous)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait for the next big version to drop

• Walk away forever

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My last 1.7 world died back a while ago, and a break from Minecraft ensued. This is par for the course, and a pattern I've come to expect, particularly given the ancient potato I run on, so after a brief mourning period, I've once again begun dabbling in the creation of a new pack.

Here's the rub: I'm torn between using the plethora of stable 1.7 mods that I know I can make function and the shiny new 1.10 mods that may be technically out of reach for me. I've gone so far as to make a 1.10 pack on my own, but a few mods in particular made it run slower than cold molasses up hill. I downloaded HermitCraft the other night, but performance was less than optimal. I'm planning a bare-bones test pack to see if I can coax my system into running 1.10 at all, but if I can get it up and going, are the new mods transcendent enough to justify the move?

On the other hand, 1.7 works. I know my FPS will never be great (a 35 average is peak performance if I'm not using an outside server), and I've grown to accept that. The real draw back to 1.7 is the simple creature comforts and aesthetic mods that either haven't been ported forward yet or have fallen by the wayside. I know Chisel'n'Bits is 1.10 ready, and I'm excited to see what I can do with it, so again I'm fencesitting.

I turn to the community for thoughts on the current state of things and to see where people are playing now. This will likely be a SSP world, but if I badger a friend a bit (OK, just tell him to do it) I can probably have a server set up to unload some of my strain. Now that I've written that, I realize I'm not sure where to procure the server files for a 1.10 world, so if that knowledge is available please advise.

Note: The poll has no choices between 1.7 and 1.10. if anyone has compelling reason to choose a version in between, I'll consider updating it.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Run 1.10.2 if you can. I've seen improvements over 1.7.10 packs, like less lag. Don't use HermitCraft as a sterling example... It runs worse than any 1.7 pack I've used. FtB Unstable 1.10.2 is a lot smoother. Of course, I don't know what kind of "potato" you're running (nice term, btw :D) but I've got no spring chicken myself although it's no slouch (AMD 8350 @ 4GHz/8GB ram on Win 10).

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Run 1.10.2 if you can. I've seen improvements over 1.7.10 packs, like less lag. Don't use HermitCraft as a sterling example... It runs worse than any 1.7 pack I've used. FtB Unstable 1.10.2 is a lot smoother. Of course, I don't know what kind of "potato" you're running (nice term, btw :D) but I've got no spring chicken myself although it's no slouch (AMD 8350 @ 4GHz/8GB ram on Win 10).

Your 4ghz makes me jealous. Yeah. That kind of potato.

I'm thinking either way I'll end up with a custom pack unless FtB drops a new pack that suits my needs before I can put together something stable on my own.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I´m on the same boat as you Inaeo... Took a break and waiting now for FTB Ininify 1.10 yo get released. Sadly and understandably there is no date or anything so I´m just waiting for chrismas coming early this year...
I would start HermiCraft but knowing that a bigger FTB pack will be there "soon" I can´t motivate to start a world knowing to start over in some weeks again.
Main problem for me as well is that I expect mayor changes in some mods in 1.10 and new stuff to tinker around with.
Is this a real thing I can expect or is it just a overhaul of the 1.7 packs?
I´m not talking about TC for example. Even if changes are nice after 2 hours its the same again as before....

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Direwolf20 expects his 1.10.2 pack to be out in November if not October (not likely if you ask me).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm still totally on the cusp, flipping between 1.7 and 1.10 worlds. And either way I'm stuck without the latest and greatest thaumcraft stuff no matter what I do (its still 1.8.9 I think?)

Just can't win these days :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Note: The poll has no choices between 1.7 and 1.10. if anyone has compelling reason to choose a version in between, I'll consider updating it.
The undisputed primary reason to choose 1.8.9 will be Thaumcraft for your average player. TC5 updates are 1.8.9 only.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I recently came back to Minecraft, and after a brief stint on the FTB Insanity map, I've settled on a 1.10.2 skyblock. I'm enjoying PSI and chisel and bits, and it runs decently on my potato of a laptop (~30 FPS, on lowest. My desktop being destroyed was what prompted my exit from Minecraft)
I would definitely recommend trying 1.10.2 with a couple of the newest mods. SkyExchange is a nice little pack, that mine has evolved from.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
The undisputed primary reason to choose 1.8.9 will be Thaumcraft for your average player. TC5 updates are 1.8.9 only.

Thaumcraft 6 seems to be solidly in the works for MC1.10.2 and is the last mod I'm waiting for to complete my custom pack. In the meantime, I'm fooling around in a temp world to learn the new mods & major changes to the old mods. With Curse and MC1.10.2, it is easier than ever for a beginner to throw a bunch of mods together and have the result work. I rarely make it past mid-game before I start a new world with a new idea for a better base, and I'm always happy to get to the new and better toys, so I don't understand the people who are so attached to their old worlds that they are still playing MC1.4.6 packs.

Reactions: Hambeau and Pyure

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

I'll concede that as a decent reason to consider 1.8, but I may end up waiting for TC to update beyond before I try my hand at it again. I will admit TC4 is in my top 5 best mods, but I'm a bit played out on it right now. I am curious as to how things have progressed, but a break is due regardless.

Reactions: Pyure

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I wonder if Direwolf20 is waiting on TC? If so, you may not have that long a wait.

BTW, if you didn't know DW is running a Twitch stream now... He agreed to troubleshoot some new features for them. He's doing the skyblock 2.5 pack right now as well as recorded mod spotlights that are also put on YT a couple of days later.

If asked he will say that Direwolf20 1.10.2 is coming soon but won't say anything about included mods :D

He livestreams Thursdays and Sundays @ 6:00pm Eastern, usually.

Last edited: