Jul 29, 2019
Is cursing allowed on these forums?
Don't want Mead yelling at me for swearing :lol:

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
hmmm, I hadnt thought about that. It is something we will have to discuss, but my initial instinct would be to make the forums child safe. maybe time for a poll soon I think.

Reactions: RedBoss

Canotsa

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke said:
hmmm, I hadnt thought about that. It is something we will have to discuss, but my initial instinct would be to make the forums child safe. maybe time for a poll soon I think.

Hm. Oh well I won't swear then. Thanks for the fast response ;)

Canotsa

Jul 29, 2019
ICountFrom0 said:
Looks like OP did not read the terms of service that 'he' agreed to when 'he' joined.

Could you please tell me where it is in the terms of the forum?
And also i think those are the default phpBB forum terms.

Reactions: PierceSG

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my idea on profanity is this: there should be some sort of swear filter to determine whether a word is a swear word or not, but instead of either censoring it with *s or outright blocking that post all together, some of the swear words should be replaced with some sort of child-safe word. Those that are frequent to the forum would recognize that, say, pineapple would be the F-word (to use an example from another forum I frequent), but the casual reader wouldn't really understand why this person is talking about fruit so frequently.

They would need to be words that aren't used regularly, since changing swear-words to minecraft blocks would just be stupid, but it may work.

In summary: stop swear words, but replace them comically.

Canotsa

Jul 29, 2019
WayofTime said:
Well, my idea on profanity is this: there should be some sort of swear filter to determine whether a word is a swear word or not, but instead of either censoring it with *s or outright blocking that post all together, some of the swear words should be replaced with some sort of child-safe word. Those that are frequent to the forum would recognize that, say, pineapple would be the F-word (to use an example from another forum I frequent), but the casual reader wouldn't really understand why this person is talking about fruit so frequently.

They would need to be words that aren't used regularly, since changing swear-words to minecraft blocks would just be stupid, but it may work.

In summary: stop swear words, but replace them comically.

Yeah I usually don't use swear words to rage at people. its just sometimes its easier to use a swear word as an expression, or the usual fun answer "Well fuck" ;P

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Canotsa said:
ICountFrom0 said:
Looks like OP did not read the terms of service that 'he' agreed to when 'he' joined.

Could you please tell me where it is in the terms of the forum?
And also i think those are the default phpBB forum terms.

Looks like it IS the default, and that makes it easy to find.

"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country,.."

So, the question is, can you use profanity, without it being obscene, vulgar, or sexual?

I'll accept that it is theoretically possible to do it without being abusive. Though obscene and vulgar covers the religious and scatological choices. There honestly are not many left when you look at what is agreed to as not being permitted.

It's honestly a question for the mods, and for the sake of the ages.

forevermac

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I rather prefer forums which don't allow it, as I find that profanity is often a knee-jerk reaction and only appears in posts that do not have much thought behind them. If much thought is put behind a post, it can't be that hard to find a better alternative.

On the other hand, I really like WayOfTime's suggestion.

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
WayOfTime has a Pinapple good idea! I think it would make for some Fluffy Funny Threads!
It would Turtle if it made everything Lollipop unreadable though.

See what I Bird did there?

---Edit---
People would find ways to bypass the filter; It always happen. So a system where you can "add words" to be filtered and assign them a "random happy word" instead would make it less of a hassle to maintain I recon. A bit more work at the beginning, less later on?

slauter

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly i believe that it would be best if cursing was minimized but not blocked but that's a personal preference

adib

Jul 29, 2019
slauter said:
Honestly i believe that it would be best if cursing was minimized but not blocked but that's a personal preference
something like XAT chat has, if you click on it you get the real worlds other wise something like #@$%

Canotsa

Jul 29, 2019
adib said:
slauter said:
something like XAT chat has, if you click on it you get the real worlds other wise something like #@$%

That would be a good option. Actually... IBURN!!!