FTB Newsletter May 2016

BMan2505

Jul 29, 2019
Woohoo! FTB inventions was just released a few minutes ago and I'm so excited to play it!!

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Until I hear from "Feed the Beast", I assume this is a, uh, June Fool's joke :p
they posted it on Twitter if that helps! rofl

Also note: It runs really smooth I hope to see more packs running this smooth.

Reactions: Pyure

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
TheOnlyBentley is playing FTB Unstable 1.9.4 on live stream anyone still hoping for 1.8.9 packs? rofl

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
i think they all Skip 1.8 since 1.9 is already out it would be a waste of time to do 1.8.

Many updated to 1.8.9 first because it was more stable for development than 1.9 and updating from 1.8 to 1.9 wasn't too hard, but that's a trend I see slowing down a bit.

Almost all the 1.9.4 mods available now went through a 1.8 phase first, and I don't expect to see mods that skipped 1.8 entirely any time soon since most of the required hard work seems to be adapting to the new methods used in 1.8.

In fact, I've seen at least one mod developer post on Twitter that updating from 1.9.4 to 1.10 preview-1 (as an experiment) was trivial for his mod, so we might even see people even skipping 1.9.4.

Reactions: RedBoss

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Many updated to 1.8.9 first because it was more stable for development than 1.9 and updating from 1.8 to 1.9 wasn't too hard, but that's a trend I see slowing down a bit.

Almost all the 1.9.4 mods available now went through a 1.8 phase first, and I don't expect to see mods that skipped 1.8 entirely any time soon since most of the required hard work seems to be adapting to the new methods used in 1.8.

In fact, I've seen at least one mod developer post on Twitter that updating from 1.9.4 to 1.10 preview-1 (as an experiment) was trivial for his mod, so we might even see people even skipping 1.9.4.
If that is the case I fear we might find ourself in a state where no one wants to update because updating to the new version that is coming is just as simple.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If that is the case I fear we might find ourself in a state where no one wants to update because updating to the new version that is coming is just as simple.

It does seem that Mojang is making it's changes more "incremental" than before... Instead of major changes like 1.6 to 1.7 (named block IDs) and 1.7 to 1.8 (rendering changes, I believe) most of the major systems have been somewhat corrected and we'll see simpler changes in the future, making it easier to keep mods current.

Having said that, there seemed to be a bit of worry that developers may decide to skip 1.9.4 now as well on the FtB Town hall livecast.

T

To Asgaard

Btw I am doing a lets play of this pack if anyone is interested in seeing it. I did the first episode yesterday and will do another tomorrow. The first episode I get started and cover the basics of starting EE3. I'll post a link if anyone wants to see it.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I don't care how simple it is to go from 1.8 to 1.9. For me it is simple they could make 1.8.9 packs right now. Doing so for say 6-8 months and then moving to 1.9.4 would ensure a better modded experience in 1.9. It doesn't seems to matter that we have been waiting for FTB 1.8 packs for what over a year. Right now we are looking at at least what 2-4 months before a FTB 1.9 pack comes out.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't care how simple it is to go from 1.8 to 1.9. For me it is simple they could make 1.8.9 packs right now. Doing so for say 6-8 months and then moving to 1.9.4 would ensure a better modded experience in 1.9. It doesn't seems to matter that we have been waiting for FTB 1.8 packs for what over a year. Right now we are looking at at least what 2-4 months before a FTB 1.9 pack comes out.
I can wait another 3 years for them to move on from 1.7.10. Whatever happens is going to happen naturally, organically, on behalf of multiple individual devs. There's absolutely zero sense in pressuring them (e.g. putting a negative light on the work they do) in order for them to move to a different version. At that point, a justified thing for them to do would be to just give you the finger and quit modding minecraft forever.

BMan2505

Jul 29, 2019
I can wait another 3 years for them to move on from 1.7.10. Whatever happens is going to happen naturally, organically, on behalf of multiple individual devs. There's absolutely zero sense in pressuring them (e.g. putting a negative light on the work they do) in order for them to move to a different version. At that point, a justified thing for them to do would be to just give you the finger and quit modding minecraft forever.
Well said, I completely agree. Let the FTB Team make the decisions because they put tons of work into these modpacks.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Funny, I agree with both points... We went through this reluctance <<<UNDERSTATEMENT ALERT!!!>>> to update with the move from 1.6 to 1.7 and it took at least 6 months for real 1.7 packs to be created. They could be working on 1.8.9 packs as we speak, but as I keep bringing up most mods are finishing 1.8.9 and 1.9 packs at nearly the same time, and those who skipped 1.8 entirely seem to be having to learn everything about 1.8 in a big rush now if they don't want to be left out.

On the other hand, mod developers are not galley slaves to be pushed around. Those who program for a living probably get enough of that B.S. at work and use modding as a relatively cheap means to wind down, and for no reimbursement at that. They do not owe Joe Player anything and it is unreasonable to expect that they do.

I have a couple of mods I've been playing with since adding them to Unstable 1.8 and now to my own 1.9 pack... They haven't made the leap yet to 1.9.4 but that doesn't give me the right to complain since it's only been 2 weeks since their last update. I will patiently wait and hope the developers don't get tired of this "community".