Hello 1.9

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Genuine question here, but why does everyone like moving to the latest pack? Is it because of more features, changes, or possibility to more servers? I'm still on 1.6.4 and I haven't run out of things to do yet.
I'm excited about all the changes to the basic game with 1.9. Plus the way Blood Magic and Thaumcraft have changed are definitely MAJOR improvements.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Also, why is my performance worse on 1.7.10 than on 1.6.4? using two gtx 980s and a i7 3960x at 3.30ghz.

Reactions: RedBoss

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Genuine question here, but why does everyone like moving to the latest pack? Is it because of more features, changes, or possibility to more servers? I'm still on 1.6.4 and I haven't run out of things to do yet.

Newer better things. You do know mods update with each vanilla versions right.
Of course some mods also stop being supported too so it evens out.
The changes made to Thaumcraft for example. How vis works went through another overhaul. And the research mechanic doesn't require you to grind research in a reconstruction table.
Then there's completely new mods like PSI and Intangible.
Things like ChiselNBits being an evolution of the microblock concept. Funny thing is that wasn't the first attempt at such an idea but something about how 1.8.9 renders tile entities made 1x1x1 pixel blocks more feasible.

Plus not everyone has such a long attention span. I got bored of 1.6.4 months before 1.7 was announced.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
People are always drawn to the shiny new thing, but I have to admit that the changes to the combat mechanics might be the biggest draw to a new Vanilla version. I'm excited to play with ChiselNBits, as I have always loved what can be done with existing microblocks, but I've always felt they could be vastly improved. The update to TC will be fun to explore, as Azanor hasn't failed to impress me with his continued evolution.

But all is not without loss. Word on the street is Reika won't be updating any time soon due to life being life, so RotaryCraft, Reactorcraft, ElectriCraft, and ChromatiCraft (just to name the heavy hitters) won't be available for some time. I'm sure others will drop off as well, although many mods will be forked, passed off, or cloned. Seeing as my current pack is highly centered on the Reika suite, I will likely play it until a large stable pack is released.

If you're happy playing 1.6.4, play it. I had a ton of fun with it. But, as mod developers move on to new versions, support for the old becomes impossible, and I could only live with certain crashes and world corrupting bugs for so long before I packed up and moved to 1.7. Having a small private server of friends to keep happy and entertained was incentive as well, as some of my friends have attention spans rivaling a ferret on meth.

I have found FPS to be a bit lower on 1.7, but overall mod stability has increased substantially, in my experience. That said, a handful of mods have popped up to help optimize things (Fastcraft, BetterFPS, COFHTweaks, etc.). It takes some testing to see which combination helps given your particular computer and pack, but they can altar your experience in a pretty major way sometimes.

It's a big free world. Play what makes you happy, but know that the majority will be doing the next cool new thing (for better or worse).

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I love the next new thing. There will always be a little brokenness, so I'm OK with development versions of everything, even when that means there will be a little more brokenness which, (for mods where dev versions come quickly or they have nightlies) is very-short-term temporary.

New features! New Quality-Of-Life improvements! More fleshed out tech branches! That one bug Vanilla finally fixed (boats!)!

When Gregtech hit 1.7.2(ish) survival-capable I built worlds around 1.7.2 mods and loved them. I went back to TPPI in 1.6.4 and there were things missing from mods (and sometimes those things are bug fixes, and other times they're content).

I did learn about an exception to bleeding-edge content, though. The next server I run with more than just my wife and myself will be a pack someone else manages and it will stay mostly static for quite some time.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

It's very common. I play on a server, and just as I'm STARTING to get into a pack we're playing, the rest of the guys are already bored and ready to move on to the next pack.

So basically, on the server I play on, we only play the first 25% of the modpack and then we move on. It's just what we do. But don't ask me why. LOL

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Also, why is my performance worse on 1.7.10 than on 1.6.4? using two gtx 980s and a i7 3960x at 3.30ghz.
Of what I've been told from different people in different places, 1.7 performance is crap compared to any other version.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Of what I've been told from different people in different places, 1.7 performance is crap compared to any other version.

It pretty much is, unless you want features in mods and/or packs built for 1.7.10 :D

Seriously, 1.7.x wasn't all that bad at first... It had superior performance in most of the snapshots until something happened in one of the last previews that reintroduced problems.

This may not be the exact or sole cause but I recall a problem causing all the blocks down to bedrock being rendered even if you couldn't see them. One of the solutions came from MCPE, where only blocks you actually see are rendered. The solution just had to be translated from C++ :D

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Amusingly, for all the talk about the newest versions of MC, I have the urge to go back and play Ultimate. I'm not even sure why. I suspect it's nostalgia, but at the same time, I just want that challenge.

That said, I would expect if they were doing a complete re-write, version 2.0 would be the time to do it. Stabilize 1.9, and then make 2.0 with the modding API we've been promised since beta.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
That would be nice, but we're getting 1.10 before, at least. The way I see it there are a lot of modders out there that do a better job than the Mojang devs at messing and optimizing the game. Keeping this in mind, I think we'll see Half Life 3 long before the API. And thruth be told, for what I read on the Wiki about a "possible" API, it is far more limiting than what modders do and add. It's like adding modding for dummies.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
That would be nice, but we're getting 1.10 before, at least. The way I see it there are a lot of modders out there that do a better job than the Mojang devs at messing and optimizing the game. Keeping this in mind, I think we'll see Half Life 3 long before the API. And thruth be told, for what I read on the Wiki about a "possible" API, it is far more limiting than what modders do and add. It's like adding modding for dummies.
The command block system, and resource pack changes in 1.8 will probably be the extent to which you can go with whatever Mojang provide

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Well, Forgecraft now has a 1.9, so... skipping 1.8 confirmed?

From what I've seen many Devs are actually doing both 1.8 and 1.9 at the same time...

1.7 to 1.8 is a bit better documented than 1.7 to 1.9 and the same amount of work will need to be done anyway and provides a more stable test environment.
-and-
1.8 to 1.9 seems to be a very trivial update in comparison.

I saw one Dev update a mod on live-stream... All he had to do was change the versions of Minecraft and Forge to load in his project file and rebuild the mod. Granted, it was a relatively small mod but look at the mods already out and running on 1.9 and it's only been a month or so.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
What I like is the new and shiny. It is also nice that for the first couple months the mods for 1.9 will likely see updates and bugfixes. Probably won't matter when the packs hit though. They will probably end up have some more unsupported buggy mods in them. To lazy to make my own pack, even with all the tools easing it along and the know how I have gained over time. So it will be really nice to see and play those packs.

That is one nice thing about the modders updating. The list of mods gets wiped clean, and starts a fresh. Not to sure of all these packs I see on Curse when I search 1.9 though. There isn't a minecraft version filter, and this search gets a lot more results then I expected.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Well, TiCo and Blood Magic are out for 1.9. I'm sure someone can make at least a bare-bones mini-pack out of that alone. All we need is EnderIO polished up for 1.9 and we're good to go.

Awesome tools: Tinkers' Construct - check
Awesome magic: Blood Magic - check
Item routing, remote access, farming, and general awesomeness: EnderIO - check

Assemble the pack and we shall ride 'till dawn.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
What I like is the new and shiny. It is also nice that for the first couple months the mods for 1.9 will likely see updates and bugfixes. Probably won't matter when the packs hit though. They will probably end up have some more unsupported buggy mods in them. To lazy to make my own pack, even with all the tools easing it along and the know how I have gained over time. So it will be really nice to see and play those packs.

That is one nice thing about the modders updating. The list of mods gets wiped clean, and starts a fresh. Not to sure of all these packs I see on Curse when I search 1.9 though. There isn't a minecraft version filter, and this search gets a lot more results then I expected.

I'm doing the same thing in 1.9, with a twist... I put in mods I like, like Tinkers Construct, but then I play around with lesser known mods as well.

For example, I first put in "Craftable Horse Armour & Saddles" because I play a nomadic style and hated having to get lucky to find such things. Then I found "Wings, Horns and Hooves" which adds mythological equines and accessories and is a lot of fun, giving you steeds that can help fight mobs, and even attack some on their own.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing the same thing in 1.9, with a twist... I put in mods I like, like Tinkers Construct, but then I play around with lesser known mods as well.

For example, I first put in "Craftable Horse Armour & Saddles" because I play a nomadic style and hated having to get lucky to find such things. Then I found "Wings, Horns and Hooves" which adds mythological equines and accessories and is a lot of fun, giving you steeds that can help fight mobs, and even attack some on their own.
Not really sure of the relation between the quote and the post.

I am trying to make my own pack for 1.9. A kitchen sink pack. just for something to do.

Took me at least six hours to get past a single error and find the mod that was causing it to be thrown. Would like the mod in, I might try again with it later. Figured a few ways to speed up the proccess. I assembled the pack in curse. After five hours I switched it over to the official launcher (not for sure that was needed). Made a script to delete all the files and folders that aren't needed on first run for the pack (recreates the option.txt as it deletes that as part of it. Then I just added five mods at a time to the pack until I found the one that was pissing me off. Now to clear any other hurdles that might exist. Really hoping I can get that mod working later though.

Edit:
Got bored with that. Think it is time to sleep again. going to go do that and then find something else to do.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Not really sure of the relation between the quote and the post.

I am trying to make my own pack for 1.9. A kitchen sink pack. just for something to do.

Took me at least six hours to get past a single error and find the mod that was causing it to be thrown. Would like the mod in, I might try again with it later. Figured a few ways to speed up the proccess. I assembled the pack in curse. After five hours I switched it over to the official launcher (not for sure that was needed). Made a script to delete all the files and folders that aren't needed on first run for the pack (recreates the option.txt as it deletes that as part of it. Then I just added five mods at a time to the pack until I found the one that was pissing me off. Now to clear any other hurdles that might exist. Really hoping I can get that mod working later though.

I was just pointing out that I'm not sitting and waiting for a new 1.9 pack like a bump-on-a-log, but am having a blast doing my own. I brought up the specified mods to show what new mods can add, but didn't really elaborate. Basically I've found some new toys to play with :)

It's fun, if camped in the open at night, to watch a bunch of Unicorns play "Zombie Soccer", as long as the other mobs cant get to you :D

Plus, you get the added benefit, if you like things like Agricraft and any of the Bee mods, of a simulated "DNA" based breeding system where you can actually plan out a cross-breeding program (NOT R.N.G.) to cross a Unicorn and a Pegasus to get an Alicorn (flying Unicorn) for example.