Early skyblock Quad Cobble gen!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
EDIT: Improved design posted in post below.

For my Infinity evolved sky-block play through, I've created this beauty. (see picture)
A quad cobble gen using only the one lava and water source you've been given at the start.
This contraption uses 54 slab crafting tables, not counting the path leading up to it. In infinity sky-block that's about 54 wood logs.
(54 logs --> 104 planks --> 27 crafting tables --> 3 in a row creates 6 slab tables)

OK, for manual farming it functions only as a dual cobble gen, but that is still better than a single.

To use for manual farming, stand in between the two cobble, place non-flammable blocks behind you so that you can't get out, and keep walking backward into the corner while you mine left, then right, then left, then right, etc.
This is needed because the water streams keep pushing you around. But it is worth the effort because you can collect cobble at about twice the rate. Most of the time, the first cobble has generated while you finish the second, allowing for almost constant mining.

I advice going for the project red block breaker as it is the cheapest by far, requiring only 4 iron and 2 redstone dust.

Edit: 54 slabs instead of 52

Attachments

• quadcobble.jpg
    quadcobble.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I've thought of on improved design where the water no longer pushes you around, and now I feel silly for not having thought of it before, all it takes is removing the 4 slabs below the cobble so the water falls into the void.

This also removes the need for 8 more slabs to contain the water. So the slabs needed for the new design is 42, meaning 42 logs. (42 logs --> 84 planks --> 21 tables --> 7*3 in a row --> 7*6 = 42 slabs)

If you forgo the placing of all strictly unneeded slabs you can make the thing operational as a dual gen with 25 slabs, but that requires placing temporary blocks that will get lost to the void, plus it makes the thing way more dangerous.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
just wondering, why did you make a quad cobble gen? You can only break one block at a time unless using block breakers and if you have the resources to make multiple block breakers you might as well just of made the transfer node set up IMO.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
People do it as a challenge, an attempt to do something as efficiently as possible with limited resources.

Besides, a Transfer Node requires an ender pearl or a block of redstone depending on the default recipe. That's at least mid, early-mid game.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: JaRyCu

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
That’s what im not understanding tho, it’s not any more efficient because early game because you can only break one block at a time. Also in a skyblock world ender pearls are very early game. A mob farm is one of the first things built, as long as its 3 high inside endermen can spawn, sure its RNG but I got a pearl before I even had a sieve in my current Infinity expert skyblock server.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Then you're not asking the right question to yourself.

Lemme use a mod as an example: Botanica. Sure, automating it with various other mod makes it trivial, but Vaskii (mod author) has pointed out that everything in his mod can be automated using only itself and vanilla mechanics. That's a challenge right there.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
thats like comparing apple and oranges tho. If this was talking about later down the line in the mod pack for a large cobble gen then yes this design is good as it only takes 1 lava and 1 water source and you can have multiple areas for auto collection, then i would agree it would be efficient design. It was even stated tho this was early game for manual collection, you can only mine one block at a time thus the multiple collections points are useless.

BTW: i was just curious why he did this, nothing is wrong with doing something just to do it, was just asking a simple question for my own curiosity :)

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
*shrugs* You have tomatoes, I have potatoes. :)

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
You can only break one block at a time

Not true, or at least a misleading truth.

As I already explained it in my OP: for manual farming it functions as a dual cobble gen. You can break cobble twice as fast as they generate (on average) and the chicken hammer is even faster than a pick. With a single cobble gen you must pause every time you break a block, with a dual gen you can break blocks almost constantly.

i was just curious why he did this

As an interesting bit of trivia; I was only interested in creating a dual gen, but it so happens to be the case that a dual gen is also a quad gen.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The perspective on that picture makes it quite difficult to replicate. I assume the water flows around two sides of a lava + shape made by dropping lava onto the center block?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
it's also quite useful in multiplayer environments. I'm about to start AgSkies2 with a couple of friends doing a LP. This design will come in very handy.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
OK, This is a picture of the new and improved design, including a construction manual.

For the purpose of crating a manual dual-gen you can leave out all of the blocks marked as optional. (opt) You do need to place temporary blocks to place the construction blocks against.

The full construction (including platform) contains 54 crafting station slabs (can be crafted from 27 crafting tables, thus 54 wood logs)

The minimal construction contains 29 crafting station slabs (can be crafted from 15 crafting tables, thus 30 wood logs)

Edit: Note that these are all top-half slabs.

Attachments

• CobbleGen2.jpg
    CobbleGen2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 181
  • CobbleGen2Constr.png
    CobbleGen2Constr.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Reactions: Lethosos

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
That looks pretty good. I never realized there was a safe way to use wood and lava together. Handy to know in a skyblock environment. cheers

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
There are a surprising number of blocks made from wood that aren't flammable. Those being: Button, Chest, Crafting Table, Door, Ladder, Sign, Torch, Wooden Pressure Plates, and Wooden Trapdoors. Not that you can build with all of them :p

Do beware, a lot of those blocks will CATCH fire, they just won't burn away. So do be careful with them and don't assume they'll let you make a 100% fireproof safe zone. The only ones I've personally seen spread fire are chests and regular vanilla crafting tables.

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
My own solution to establishing a manual cobble gen after 2 failed attempts was to make something as simple as possible from wood planks and replace the wood on the lava end of things with cobble as soon as I could.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
My own solution to establishing a manual cobble gen after 2 failed attempts was to make something as simple as possible from wood planks and replace the wood on the lava end of things with cobble as soon as I could.

If wood wasn't an option at all, you can still get cobble from sifting dirt and make your cobble-gen from cobble slabs. Or even build the cobble-gen out of dirt blocks. It would just take a bit more time to get all the dirt. Luckily we can exploit this oversight. (I do think it is an oversight; Those wooden crafting stations should at least catch fire even if they don't burn away)

Reactions: deadscion

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason I was under the impression that bottom slabs wouldn't burn, so when I was starting my IE Skyblock I built my cobble gen with wood slabs. Imagine my surprise when I turned around because I heard the fire noise, and half my platform had burned away...

lindyhopfan

Jul 29, 2019
If wood wasn't an option at all, you can still get cobble from sifting dirt and make your cobble-gen from cobble slabs. Or even build the cobble-gen out of dirt blocks. It would just take a bit more time to get all the dirt. Luckily we can exploit this oversight. (I do think it is an oversight; Those wooden crafting stations should at least catch fire even if they don't burn away)

I made my cobble-gen by building a small platform under my starting platform by swimming down, then harvesting the 9 dirt you start out on. I used 8 of the dirt for the lava holding portion of the cobble-gen, and the other 1 dirt to continue growing trees.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea from this video which i found on youtube, its the very first thing he talks about in it - using a simple redstone clock/piston combo to make mining cobblestone easy as can be.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that you don't have redstone or iron at first in an ex nihilo skyblock.

This is an amazing early-game cobblegen before you get buckets and pistons and stuff like that. Once you get redstone and pistons? Yes, make a 100% efficient cobble generator using them (in infinity evolved I'm going to use block breakers and then Extra Utilities Transfer Nodes. It's more compact). But that's not what this one was designed for :)