Early skyblock Quad Cobble gen!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
You only need to sift dust until you have 4 iron drops and 6 redstone, to create the clock+piston thing

That's a bit less than what you need for the block breaker or transfer node

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
How are you going to get that dust?
With Cobblestone.

How are you going to get that cobblestone?
With an early game cobblestone generator.

Why not make that generator efficient, so you waste less time grinding cobblestone, why not design that cobblestone generator in such a way that it can be used in the future for your cobble generating needs (basically it'll grow with your capabilities)?
That line of questioning is what this particular design was designed for, and in my opinion it does it very well.

As for the piston thing... meh? This design is elegant, looks decent (and can be made to look much better quite easily), and will function quite well indeed throughout the whole game. One of the few designs it probably won't work with is the piston clock. Oh well? It doesn't take THAT long to get the materials for a block breaker, which works quicker than the piston clock, and is easily fully automateable, AND can be replaced with a transfer node, in place. Plus you can't beat the compactness of this design while maintaining its reliability and efficiency.

Also, pistons are loud and vanilla clocks are laggy.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
There are vanilla options as well. Heck. Just use normal crafting tables instead of crafting station slabs. Twice as much wood, still impervious to fire, still made 100% out of wood.

You could probably do chests and trapdoors as well. There are many options.

If those were patched for some reason, you could also simply build out of dirt (getting dirt requires a barrel, made from wood, and organic material, like say spare saplings)... but why would someone want to patch this? It's not like their imperviousness to fire is game breaking in any way, just another quirk of MC's physics, like blocks floating in midair unsupported and trees having to be chopped "up" in most cases.

That being said, it's still nice even without multiple players. There is a delay between cobble break and cobble spawn, which can be filled with breaking a different piece of cobble in this design. It also scales with tech increases quite well. I really don't understand the various criticisms being aired on this thread; this design and block choice are impressively clever and can be easily modified to suit your needs quite effectively.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I've made an other screenshots to demonstrate what it looks like after the block breakers are installed. The pressure tubes from project red are very cheap as well. I wonder if I could have made more use of project red than I did during the early stages...

The 3 following screenshots show the cobble gen in my play-through world. I've moved on to higher tech now, but I left the old cobble-gen and the island it is a part of as a monument to my humble beginnings.

Attachments

• CobbleGen Design2 later.jpg
    CobbleGen Design2 later.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 58
  • cg_back_later.jpg
    cg_back_later.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 53
  • cg_front_later.jpg
    cg_front_later.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 41
  • cg_monument.jpg
    cg_monument.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 36
L

LegendLength

If you don't want to use crafting tables it is possible to just make a wood cobble gen. You can usually mine a stack of cobble without anything burning, then build a proper gen.