Bug all imgur images on forum have broken

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: I've just wrote to imgur to see if we can get this sorted
I have been looking around for a different hosting option.

It doesn't look like any of the free ones are all that good. I looked over the file hosting sites as well. Photobucket does seem to be a good paid option. If I am going to be paying for it though I rather get the most versatile and least expensive option out there. Preferably a site where I can place any file and embed it wherever I want.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I guess imgur is trying to become more of an image board then image hosting. It's already treated like a half baked 4chan anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I use the public folder on my dropbox account for any images I post here. But, I'm not sure that will work for everyone because I pay for dropbox so I can automate the backup of my server worlds to dropbox.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I use the public folder on my dropbox account for any images I post here. But, I'm not sure that will work for everyone because I pay for dropbox so I can automate the backup of my server worlds to dropbox.
From what I have tried so far it doesn't seem to work for free accounts.

Can you embed content that is saved on your dropbox account? What is the difficulty level for setting it up for sharing files?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I don't know how feasible it would be here, but another forum that I'm on allows people to upload images to a local wiki, rather than hotlinking to other sites.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
From what I have tried so far it doesn't seem to work for free accounts.

Can you embed content that is saved on your dropbox account? What is the difficulty level for setting it up for sharing files?
I copy the image file to my dropbox folder on my PC (I do have the dropbox client installed). Wait about 1 minute for it to sync the box. Then I can right click on the file select copy public link then paste that link into my posts here. So it is very seamless.

Copy%20public%20link%20on%20dropbox.jpg

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I don't know how feasible it would be here, but another forum that I'm on allows people to upload images to a local wiki, rather than hotlinking to other sites.

That's what happened with pics back when I was on TVB, another option is to host directly on the forum, similar to avatars. It may not be so feasable since that could be a whole lotta data to store.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I copy the image file to my dropbox folder on my PC (I do have the dropbox client installed). Wait about 1 minute for it to sync the box. Then I can right click on the file select copy public link then paste that link into my posts here. So it is very seamless.

Copy%20public%20link%20on%20dropbox.jpg

I tried this with a basic and pro account. It doesn't offer me the option of a public link. It just offers a dropbox link option. The link I get won't work for embedding as a image either.

this is the link I get from trying it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7cc81s6ceou5dt/2010-11-25_05.33.33.png?dl=0
this is what the drop menu looks like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jbphhx9r4ov5ym/160212_0908CDT-Link Embedding attempt.jpg?dl=0

I think the issue I am having is I am not for sure how to get dropbox to recognize them as images and not files.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
That's what happened with pics back when I was on TVB, another option is to host directly on the forum, similar to avatars. It may not be so feasable since that could be a whole lotta data to store.

The forum where we did this basically requires signature images to be hosted locally - we were having a problem with those remotely-hosted dragon eggs causing issues when the dragon-egg site was down. Images for posts are a little less stringent, but the admin requested that they at least be hosted at a site under the poster's control, so as to not steal bandwidth and bring down the wrath of the hosting site (like this incident when the Huffington Post hotlinked to an Oatmeal comic.)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The copy public link works. That is just the windows 10 version. Use the insert image button on this website or use the IMG tags.

Code:
[IMG] insert URL here [/IMG]

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
FYI: This forum already lets you attach images directly to posts. The "Upload a File" button right below the box I'm typing in right now does precisely that. I use it whenever I post screenshots.

I find it convenient, since the screenshots are already on my hard disk and it cuts out the step of uploading them to a third-party service, then linking them here. However, for those who already use Imgur or Dropbox and are familiar with those services, I could see why that would be more convenient.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
2010-11-25_05.33.33.png

Finally got it figured out. I dug around on their site for a little bit and finally found what I needed. The link that was provided to me needed to be reformatted.
Code:
 It gives the link as:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7cc81s6ceou5dt/2010-11-25_05.33.33.png?dl=0

I needed to reformat the link to:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/t7cc81s6ceou5dt/2010-11-25_05.33.33.png?dl=0
to be able to embed it as a image.

I will have to note this all down somewhere so I remember. Probably going to break all these links when I sort my dropbox folders out.

Thanks for your help Henry Link.