Regrowth lag

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ZTB23

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any non-essential mods in Regrowth that I could remove that would reduce the massive amounts of lag I'm experiencing? I really don't know if it's actually any mods causing it, or my rather inefficient building style, which I'm sure has a lot to do with it. I have dozens if not hundreds of BC pipes in use, engines, Mek wires and machines running constantly, 5 of the largest available Forestry farms all growing different magical crops, the essences from which are auto crafted into ores to be sent through the Mek ore quintupling process and stored in stacks of Jabba barrels with hopper upgrades and the largest available storage upgrades. I would really love to learn how to turn off the squid spawns because hundreds of them spawn in the water I'm near. 72 Botania endoflames being fed automatically with coal blocks created by a 6th Forestry farm and B Spaced Jabba barrels, 12 coke ovens being fed through B Space barrels and hoppers, 5 of the largest available railcraft tanks to store the creosote from the coke ovens, and 12 blast furnaces, 4 for steel, 8 for refined steel. My world has an absolute ton going on and I only plan to add more to it. Anything I can remove to reduce lag would be very helpful.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It is too late for your build to think about removing mods.
As much as some mods are really lag inducing, they typically do not contribute to lag unless they are actually used in a build, so the fact that you are lagging indicates that the mod removal will destroy significant parts of your progress.

That said, Regrowth is a 1.7.10 modpack, and Opis is available for 1.7.10 - It might even be part of the Regrowth distribution but disabled by default such as it was in Direwolf20.

So,
1. Backup your game.
2. Add / enable Opis. Disable JourneyMap or your existing minimap mod at the same time as Opis is bundled with an integrated MapWriter.
3. Enter your game, and from the console enter /opis - you might need to OP yourself in SMP or ensure that cheats are enabled in SSP.

This will open opis in a 2nd window. Go to the laggy part of your world, and click "Run Opis" on one of the many new screens on this window and wait for it to finish.

With that done, return to your Minecraft game, press "M" to bring up the MapWriter map, and move the mouse over the rightmost menu option and roll your mouse wheel. This will cause your map to display loaded chunks, chunk 'tick' times, chunk entity counts etc.

You can use a combination of this map, and the external window, to focus in on specific performance issues. While you might expect to be able to click on a marked chunk in the map, clicking on the map to get a breakdown of entities is not supported. You CAN however use the chunk viewer in the external window to select a chunk, which will cause the ingame map to highlight that chunk (if in the correct view) and list the offending blocks.

Or, just use the external window to view the list of entities and tile entities and sort by "time" largest to smallest, and rebuild machines that are implicated as performance hogs.

Good luck.

ZTB23

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome. Thank you very much. In writing it doesn't sound too complicated. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out. I'm fairly certain that most of my lag is being caused by the Forestry farms. The thousands of growth ticks being created within just a few chunks ( because they're stacked on top of each other ) would certainly do it. Do you know how I could go about turning off the squid spawns? --Edit -- As I look through the mods available in Regrowth by default, Opis is not installed. If you could provide a link to download it that would be very helpful.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome. Thank you very much. In writing it doesn't sound too complicated. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out. I'm fairly certain that most of my lag is being caused by the Forestry farms. The thousands of growth ticks being created within just a few chunks ( because they're stacked on top of each other ) would certainly do it. Do you know how I could go about turning off the squid spawns?

Put water above y=64
I think there are mob control mods that do stuff like that, but I prefer to reduce lag by removing mods, not adding them :p

ZTB23

Jul 29, 2019
I think the lag reduced by removing the squid spawns would be greater than the lag added by the mod. I'll have to experiment with it to be sure though. Where can I go to download Opis?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I think the lag reduced by removing the squid spawns would be greater than the lag added by the mod. I'll have to experiment with it to be sure though. Where can I go to download Opis?

I don't know if Curse, or CurseForge is the more canonical hosting site for minecraft mods. But I view mods that don't have hosting on one of these sites with deep suspicion.

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/opis

ZTB23

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I entered the world after installing Opis and adding it to the pack, I loaded up the world and typed /opis and it tells me that the command isn't known. Also, Opis isn't showing up in the in game mod list. I downloaded the mod as a .jar file, edited Regrowth in the FTB launcher and added the mod, opened the game and entered the world. what did i do wrong?

ZTB23

Jul 29, 2019
Wow... Ok so according to mapwriter and opis, my farms are indeed a massive source of lag, as are the salination plant and dynamic tank for making and storing brine. I really don't know how I could rebuild them more efficiently or what I could do to increase performance.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Wow... Ok so according to mapwriter and opis, my farms are indeed a massive source of lag, as are the salination plant and dynamic tank for making and storing brine. I really don't know how I could rebuild them more efficiently or what I could do to increase performance.
Do you have access to any other dimensions in regrowth? Or long-distance teleportation? In some cases it helps to move production far away from you and just have the net results transported to your base.

ZTB23

Jul 29, 2019
I could do that, but I would still need to load the chunks that my production plants are set up in.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I could do that, but I would still need to load the chunks that my production plants are set up in.
Yeah that's why I said "some cases". Mostly stuff where the rendering itself is causing problems rather than the logistics and production.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Well, you could try rebuilding the forestry farms using Thaumcraft golems - I can't see Minefactory Reloaded or anything else I recognize in the mod list.

What mod provides the dynamic tank? I can't see open blocks, but any tank that is made up of individual tile entities will be a problem, as the number of blocks in a 3d structure go up as the cube of the side length. Railcraft tanks, by contrast, have a single controlling tile entity in the base: a 9x9x9 railcraft tank will use 1 tile entity to a open blocks style 729 TEs.

So, really, you need to look at the server timing? tab I think, and sort by tile entities, greatest number. Whatever is using a lot needs to go.

--
Another option to improve your apparent performance is to - especially if you have another PC - is to get a dedicated server for your Regrowth modpack set up, and copy your save game into it.

This has the effect of splitting the workload of rendering - which you ideally want to be a nice 60+ fps - from your game logic - that you want to be a nice, steady 20 tps. Depending on your cores, operating system, and java version this can help (but sometimes hinder) performance even on a single pc.

Jnelso99

Feb 24, 2013
The thing I did that drastically reduced lag was moving the instance to MultiMC. Things like Binnie's compartments and even crafting tables would become unusable as using them brought the FPS to single digits. Moved to MultiMC and all is well.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The thing I did that drastically reduced lag was moving the instance to MultiMC. Things like Binnie's compartments and even crafting tables would become unusable as using them brought the FPS to single digits. Moved to MultiMC and all is well.

That makes absolutely no sense unless moving to multiMC changed the java command line used to launch minecraft.

--
Allthough, if you are on a laptop with an integrated AND discreet video chipset, some weird ass drivers switch between the two chipsets based on the process name. "java.exe" is typically classifed as a background / server process and thus not allocated to the fast GPU, Most games / unrecognized exe's get given the benefit of the doubt, and pushed to the performance GPU. When this is the case, there is normally a system trap applet or something in the graphic dirver settings that lets you manually assign programs to the GPU accelerated or non GPU accelerated groups. Putting programs that don't need it in the non accelerated group can significantly increase battery time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That makes absolutely no sense unless moving to multiMC changed the java command line used to launch minecraft.
Agreed. To clarify (expand), either the java args or the version of java itself must be different between the two launchers for this change to have any effect. The launcher is just a launcher, its java that's managing the game.

ZTB23

Jul 29, 2019
The dynamic tanks are provided by Mek. I did try using railcraft tanks initially, but even the largest available RC tank has considerably less capacity than the 5X5X7 dynamic tank I have built. The dynamic tank can be any dimensions you want it to be as long as it has the proper blocks in the right areas. Those blocks are dynamic tank, dynamic glass and dynamic valve. The tanks can be comprised mostly of glass as long as the base is nothing but dynamic tank, and the frame is made of the tanks blocks. At least one valve is necessary for the completion of the tank as well.

I do have a laptop that I could possibly use to host a server on, but I have no clue how to set up a server with an FTB mod pack. Plus, simply because of my miserable internet speed, I think that would simply cause more lag, even if I hardwired the internet to my laptop.

As far as changing things with Java goes, that's a can of worms I don't want to open. I've messed up my computer in the past to the point where I had to reformat. Uninstalling and reinstalling Java didn't fix whatever I did, and with Java screwed up, A lot of what I had installed on my computer at the time wouldn't run properly.

Jnelso99

Feb 24, 2013
Agreed. To clarify (expand), either the java args or the version of java itself must be different between the two launchers for this change to have any effect. The launcher is just a launcher, its java that's managing the game.

Y'all are indeed correct. I just looked and going to MultiMC went from one set of Java arguments (that I have no idea where they came from) to another set (that I also have no idea where they came from). So there's that mystery solved.

I usually move instances over to MuiltiMC anyway as it's easier to manage backups and pack updates.

Reactions: Pyure

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Y'all are indeed correct. I just looked and going to MultiMC went from one set of Java arguments (that I have no idea where they came from) to another set (that I also have no idea where they came from). So there's that mystery solved.

I usually move instances over to MuiltiMC anyway as it's easier to manage backups and pack updates.

I would be interested in the two command lines so I can pick apart what parameter might have caused the performance increase.