Some Mod Packs for a Low-End Computer?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Fyuiy

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know some mod packs for a lower end computer?

SPECS:
4 GB RAM
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics

Just to give you an idea, some mods I enjoy are...
-Thaumcraft (Addons also)
-Generally most magic-based mods (Witchery, Blood Magic, etc..)
-ANY Tech (Rotary craft I want to get into)
-Bees.. god dang I hate bees (sarcasm)
-AE2

Any recommendations welcome!

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
These days, I just build my own pack on the vanilla Minecraft launcher, but I started with the DW20 pack & disabled all the mods I wasn't interested in, then the mods I felt I could live without or was only keeping for a single machine or block until I finally identified the mod that was giving me the most trouble (it turns out my computer hates IC2exp). Just remember you'll have to make all the changes every time you let the pack update.

Fyuiy

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried making my own pack, but I ended up pulling out my hair.. There was some errors I couldn't put my head around.. Good idea with the mods thing, things like ComputerCraft I have no idea what to do in I could disable; but a lot of things I want to try and there's the problem I'm encountering. I started playing Simply Magic last night for a bit, and it's not bad, but it feels weird without any tech. I also get around 20 FPS with the occasional FPS drop which is playable for me.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I'm still only getting 5-15 fps, but I'm usually moving smoother & don't have a lot of the big lag spikes that make playing a full pack so painful. Troubleshooting conflicts is a painful and time consuming task, which is why starting with a pack that works & cutting it down is a good way to go.

Reactions: katalia1 and Fyuiy

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Just a suggestion but you might want to look at the Curse launcher... It's very easy to edit existing packs by toggling mods on/off on your pack config page as well as adding new packs, or you can easily create a new pack by adding mods to the Vanilla MC version you choose to start with. Such modified packs keep the custom configuration when updating, so you don't have to worry about finding new versions of individual mods.

As far as mod selection goes, I've heard that Curse has the largest mod repository available in one place.

Reactions: katalia1

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
FTB Lite? In the FTB Launcher? It's designed for low-spec PCs ;)

I'd also be looking at new CPUs if I were you. After a certain point old tech just doesn't work with stuff anymore.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Curse is missing a few mods I'd like to play around with (Mekanism for instance), but I've found building my own pack there to be a less migraine inducing experience than any other options I've tried. The mod list is easily sorted, so it makes is easy to make sure you have all your bases covered (tech, magic, storage, logistics, adventure, etc).

If you build a basic pack with all the Vanilla+ options you want (NEI, NotEnoughKeys, NotEnoughResources, etc..), you can copy the profile and then add other mods you want to play with into separate instances. Stopgap mods like NoMoreRecipeConflicts allow players to scroll through any recipe outputs that would normally conflict, allowing you to just drop mods in and go without having to MineTweak each recipe as it is found.

The hardest part of making the pack i wanted was editing and testing the json files from COFHcore's ore generation. You could skip this step, and just leave all of it on, but that means you hit an ore every five or so stone once you have a full mod compliment. I'm not saying that it was overly difficult to set up, but learning how it worked and the options I had and then testing my changes did take some patience. If you go this route, give a shout out, and I'll drop you some links that helped me greatly.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

I'd also be looking at new CPUs if I were you. After a certain point old tech just doesn't work with stuff anymore.

I'd say the bottleneck is the Intel graphics. I'm assuming these are "integrated" (built into the mainboard), not great to begin with in addition to reserving up to 512MB of the system ram and stealing some execution cycles from the CPU.

Also, you might want to check your performance using FtB's "Unstable" (Vanilla MC v1.8.9)... It's not ready for prime-time, but every video I've seen indicates lower ram requirements and better fps performance.

I've seen 20-30 fps improvement over 1.7.10 but keep in mind I have a 4GHz CPU, 8GB ram and an older nVidia GPU, although it has it's own 1GB dedicated ram and supports DirectX 11. Also, Unstable has about 60 mods right now opposed to DW20/Infinity: Evolved each having 140+ mods.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Space Astronomy is a sort of HQM pack. It's got Mekanism and doesn't seem to be too intensive. You can play it normally, or follow along with the HQM quests for some additional rewards. Pack Code: SpaceA

Modular Mayhem is also relatively light, and includes a number of mods you likely haven't played with as well as a few favorites. Packcode modularmayhem

FTB Lite is another good option.

Fyuiy

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say the bottleneck is the Intel graphics. I'm assuming these are "integrated" (built into the mainboard), not great to begin with in addition to reserving up to 512MB of the system ram and stealing some execution cycles from the CPU.

Also, you might want to check your performance using FtB's "Unstable" (Vanilla MC v1.8.9)... It's not ready for prime-time, but every video I've seen indicates lower ram requirements and better fps performance.

I've seen 20-30 fps improvement over 1.7.10 but keep in mind I have a 4GHz CPU, 8GB ram and an older nVidia GPU, although it has it's own 1GB dedicated ram and supports DirectX 11. Also, Unstable has about 60 mods right now opposed to DW20/Infinity: Evolved each having 140+ mods.

Yes, the Intel graphics are integrated. I'll see how that does.

Oh wow.. FTB Lite is designed for lower end PCs? Thanks ;) Refer above

Just a suggestion but you might want to look at the Curse launcher... It's very easy to edit existing packs by toggling mods on/off on your pack config page as well as adding new packs, or you can easily create a new pack by adding mods to the Vanilla MC version you choose to start with. Such modified packs keep the custom configuration when updating, so you don't have to worry about finding new versions of individual mods.

As far as mod selection goes, I've heard that Curse has the largest mod repository available in one place.

Before, when I tried to build my own pack I ran into conflicts, now does Curse tell you where the conflict is by any chance? If it did that'd be ideal, I've had many headaches with that.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Before, when I tried to build my own pack I ran into conflicts, now does Curse tell you where the conflict is by any chance? If it did that'd be ideal, I've had many headaches with that.

I don't know if you tried pack building using curse, but in my experience the only issue I had came when I was playing with 1.8.9 pack building... Everything is pretty much in dropdown list boxes.

I selected the base MC version, and as near as I could tell it listed the compatible Forge version first so I selected it. The list box contained other versions of Forge to choose from if you insist on using a mod only certified to work with a specific version.

When the list of available mods came up it only listed mods marked as usable for MC 1.8.9 and almost all of them worked that I tried.

The only one that didn't was "Mo' Creatures" which was marked as a 1.8.9 mod but really only worked with 1.8.2, and I was notified on the Forge screen while mods were loading.

Reactions: Fyuiy

Fyuiy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if you tried pack building using curse, but in my experience the only issue I had came when I was playing with 1.8.9 pack building... Everything is pretty much in dropdown list boxes.

I selected the base MC version, and as near as I could tell it listed the compatible Forge version first so I selected it. The list box contained other versions of Forge to choose from if you insist on using a mod only certified to work with a specific version.

When the list of available mods came up it only listed mods marked as usable for MC 1.8.9 and almost all of them worked that I tried.

The only one that didn't was "Mo' Creatures" which was marked as a 1.8.9 mod but really only worked with 1.8.2, and I was notified on the Forge screen while mods were loading.

I built it with MultiMC and was tugging out my hair trying to get it to work and gave up. Curse does sound superior when it comes to that stuff.. I appreciate the help!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I've been playing Regrowth lately; runs fairly well on my 4 year old laptop that likes to cook up and melt stuff. [3.75GB ram available, Intel i5]

Modlist includes Thaumcraft, BloodMagic, Witchery and Botania for magic, and the Buildcraft mod family, Mekanism, Mariculture, AE (though I added Logistics pipes), and AcademyCraft for Tech.
Adding RotaryCraft shouldn't cause any significant design issues.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing Regrowth lately; runs fairly well on my 4 year old laptop that likes to cook up and melt stuff. [3.75GB ram available, Intel i5]

Modlist includes Thaumcraft, BloodMagic, Witchery and Botania for magic, and the Buildcraft mod family, Mekanism, Mariculture, AE (though I added Logistics pipes), and AcademyCraft for Tech.

We had a server of Regrowth running for just two people. It ran fine up until we started asking Mek pipes and Storage Drawers to automate production. Then The server started skipping ticks like there was no tomorrow. By the time we finished the questline, the lag was completely unplayable (I'm used to FPS in the teens, so that says a lot to some).

After we took the server down, I got a copy of the world that I ran in SSP for a bit. My abysmal computer nearly had a stroke, but I managed to tear all the piping out of our factory. Suddenly, even my system could handle it.

So, yes, you can run Regrowth on a potato (and its a good play, I highly recommend it for something different), but if you're not careful, you can bring your world to a painful end without much effort.

If you were going to add any mod to that pack, I would highly recommend Logistics Pipes. They would add a nice upgrade to the BC pipes, while adding some automation help prior to AE.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Might try some sky map mod packs. Agrarian Skyes 2 and Sky Factory 2 might even be doable. There is a lot less game to process. While keeping the mod count high. If those are to much for the PC then a sky map with less mods in it might work.

Might also be worth looking up the server rules on the bigger servers. You are mostly wanting to look at the rules dealing with lag reduction and server stability. Going by those rules might help out game performance.

Not absolutely certain. Seems reasonable though.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Might try some sky map mod packs. Agrarian Skyes 2 and Sky Factory 2 might even be doable. There is a lot less game to process. While keeping the mod count high. If those are to much for the PC then a sky map with less mods in it might work.

Might also be worth looking up the server rules on the bigger servers. You are mostly wanting to look at the rules dealing with lag reduction and server stability. Going by those rules might help out game performance.

Not absolutely certain. Seems reasonable though.

My computer has about the same stats as OP and I can run AgSkies2 just fine. I haven't made any large automation, though, so that could always turn out to be a breaking point.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My old system had roughly the same specs, though only half the ram and a better video card. It ran everything fine up until 1.6.4 packs turned up.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
If you were going to add any mod to that pack, I would highly recommend Logistics Pipes. They would add a nice upgrade to the BC pipes, while adding some automation help prior to AE.

Funnily enough, I added logistics pipes fairly early on in the world. Finally got to the point where I could make the assembly table and start cranking out chipsets :)

Reactions: Inaeo

Fyuiy

Jul 29, 2019

Regrowth ran great on my computer.. stopped playing it and moved on to other games.. I did enjoy it but I got steam wallet

I'm quite disappointed that no one listed or recommended any 3rd party packs besides Regrowth.. I just picked up Obscurity, Simply Magic was too buggy, and it's amazing and my performance is fantasic; I get no FPS drops whatsoever (rare occurrence for me)! My favorite thing about Obscurity is its unique mod centering.. I never have seen a mod take place in the Deep Dark and center around Compact Machines, it provides a unique challenge instead of water from Crash Landing, or AG2's metal generation.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Might try some sky map mod packs. Agrarian Skyes 2 and Sky Factory 2 might even be doable.
I'm quite disappointed that no one listed or recommended any 3rd party packs besides Regrowth..
I never thought finding out I was on someones "Ignore" list would hit me so hard. Kappa

it provides a unique challenge instead of water from Crash Landing, or AG2's metal generation.
Botania has a world generation setting called "garden of glass". It uses only Botania and vanilla mechanics to get through the game. The Sky in that one looks really nice to. The world generation option may is only available if a addon file is used http://botaniamod.net/gardenofglass.php. Their are a few packs that use it as well.