Haven't been here long but

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I find this to be a problem across the forum:

Yup, people are like that, you can say the same thing ten different ways and they respond oddly to some of them, even if the facts are the same.

So, back to basics, if advice is needed, I'm sure we've got as many ideas as there are people...

If people have a don't have a problem with the things people say once they're sugar coated or glazed in a conglomeration of words they don't fully understand but are not offended by then take off the kid gloves and let people freely speak as they choose. If people take what they say personal let that person fester and build up their frustration until they leave. They are of no real use.

Only other problem is the number of mini-mods and from what I can tell the lack things done about it. Only thing worse than a forum with a restriction on the way people talk is a forum filled with people that feel above everyone.

And yes I understand this sounds basically like what I describe and there isn't really much I could say to not sound like it so yeah. They say it takes one to know one right?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I understand your frustration at the apparent censorship on the forums. While we would love to be able to rely on members to be respectful without censorship or rules, it is an unfortunate fact that the larger the population of a forum the more drama tries to leak in. There are plenty of forums where you can speak your mind and say whatever you want. These forums are not that way. We prefer to keep this forum as friendly and helpful as possible. As to the number of mods on this forum there is 1 moderator for every 2k members. Hardly an unreasonably large number of people. The only moderators are those members with the "forum moderator" or "global moderator" titles. Other titles designate people who work on the website, launcher, mod packs and wiki. If you do not like how the forums are run I highly suggest finding a different forum to frequent.

We don't use kid gloves around here as the stores were out of goat skin when we went shopping. Our mods are issued rabbit fur gloves.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify that what I think the OP means by "mini-mod" is someone who acts as if they have admin/mod "powers", even though they don't. It doesn't look to me like a complaint about the number of actual mods, more those people who take it upon themselves to behave like one.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I understand your frustration at the apparent censorship on the forums. While we would love to be able to rely on members to be respectful without censorship or rules, it is an unfortunate fact that the larger the population of a forum the more drama tries to leak in. There are plenty of forums where you can speak your mind and say whatever you want. These forums are not that way. We prefer to keep this forum as friendly and helpful as possible. As to the number of mods on this forum there is 1 moderator for every 2k members. Hardly an unreasonably large number of people. The only moderators are those members with the "forum moderator" or "global moderator" titles. Other titles designate people who work on the website, launcher, mod packs and wiki. If you do not like how the forums are run I highly suggest finding a different forum to frequent.

We don't use kid gloves around here as the stores were out of goat skin when we went shopping. Our mods are issued rabbit fur gloves.

Then may I suggest a type of "random chat" or "etc. chat" or something similar where it is expected the content will be 18+

It allows you(As the whole appearance of the forums) to maintain the friendly, helpful style while also providing a place for those who are of mature age and/or mind. For the moderators part refer to this quote below.

And the kid gloves thing... I have no idea if that was a reference to something or what but I didn't get it o.o

Just to clarify that what I think the OP means by "mini-mod" is someone who acts as if they have admin/mod "powers", even though they don't. It doesn't look to me like a complaint about the number of actual mods, more those people who take it upon themselves to behave like one.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
The best thing I can offer, then, is to keep in mind that the only moderators, and the only ones who have moderation powers on the forums, are those of us with the "Moderator" or "Global Moderator" tags under our usernames/avatars. We will not be splitting the forum into a children's section and a 18+ section - to do so will be just silly. If something is truly appalling by the judgement of the moderators, assuming we are aware, we will either edit in appropriate labels for such, or delete the content.

Let me be clear. That is up to our judgement. We cannot judge it, if we are not aware of it. If you find anything offensive on these forums, report it and move on.

Also, to explain the kid gloves... It's a saying in America and elsewhere that to treat something gently is to use 'kid gloves'. Jaded spoke about goats because baby goats are called kids, and therefore gloves made from leather from baby goats would then be... kid gloves. It was a pun. :)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The best thing I can offer, then, is to keep in mind that the only moderators, and the only ones who have moderation powers on the forums, are those of us with the "Moderator" or "Global Moderator" tags under our usernames/avatars. We will not be splitting the forum into a children's section and a 18+ section - to do so will be just silly. If something is truly appalling by the judgement of the moderators, assuming we are aware, we will either edit in appropriate labels for such, or delete the content.

Let me be clear. That is up to our judgement. We cannot judge it, if we are not aware of it. If you find anything offensive on these forums, report it and move on.

Also, to explain the kid gloves... It's a saying in America and elsewhere that to treat something gently is to use 'kid gloves'. Jaded spoke about goats because baby goats are called kids, and therefore gloves made from leather from baby goats would then be... kid gloves. It was a pun. :)

I mean people that carry themselves with the facade of power as if being a moderator are merely annoying. True definition of narcissism.

I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be called 18+ or something but taking even a slight glance at the server promotion section and it is quite easy to see a vast number of players are either of mature age or are able to handle "harsh" words in a mature manner. Not to mention it would allow a place where people don't really have to take most of the rules into consideration when posting something which generally allows for a relaxed atmosphere and generally bonds the community.

this would be why the reference to kid gloves.

Yeah I meant the goat and rabbit stuff lol.

Reactions: Thuulstrea

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Seems you are mistaking the standard social pressure from other forum members for attempts to be a moderator. This is amusing because the social pressure is indeed a moderating force and has always been the primary one in any situation that isn't run by jackbooted thugs of a Mod team. In short, the polite social pressure is the exact opposite of an overzealous Mod team.

Oh, and quoting me out of context. Not nice.

Anyway, two Global Mods are already covering this, I'm just going to bow out quietly, but I felt I had to say something as it's me you are quoting to make this mess.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Seems you are mistaking the standard social pressure from other forum members for attempts to be a moderator. This is amusing because the social pressure is indeed a moderating force and has always been the primary one in any situation that isn't run by jackbooted thugs of a Mod team. In short, the polite social pressure is the exact opposite of an overzealous Mod team.

Oh, and quoting me out of context. Not nice.

Anyway, two Global Mods are already covering this, I'm just going to bow out quietly, but I felt I had to say something as it's me you are quoting to make this mess.

Your quote was meant to do nothing more than relay that people here generally only liked to be talked to in a manner that does not directly offend them even if it is offensive. As an extreme example: killing people with a smile.

I have no qualms with the mod team; I have qualms with regular members who feel what they say to carry the same weight as a mod. I.e. their word is "law". I have no problems when people may suggest to change what they're doing or direct someone to the rules etc. The problem are those that feel that they should be a mod and carry themselves as such.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I've not seen as much of that as you claim to see hoff.

I do see you acting outside of the social norms of the forum and counter pressures being applied. Rather gentle ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_(social)

Seriously, gentle ones. I know of places where you'd get much worse.

I'm trying to be kind, I'm suggesting you relax, but really you can do anything you like unless you get in trouble for it.

Goodluck to you.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I've not seen as much of that as you claim to see hoff.

I do see you acting outside of the social norms of the forum and counter pressures being applied. Rather gentle ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_(social)

Seriously, gentle ones. I know of places where you'd get much worse.

I'm trying to be kind, I'm suggesting you relax, but really you can do anything you like unless you get in trouble for it.

Goodluck to you.

I'm not talking necessarily what has been against me because it has been tame in that regard but reading around the forums quite a bit it seems to be fairly common.

Besides that the social norm seems a fairly moot point on nearly every forum I've even been on as a whole. It generally revolves around specific sections which is why I requested a specific section in which the norm could be more relaxed or even non-existent. I'll admit that the general norm of the forum seems to me very archaic and kid-friendly and it will take me some time to adjust to it.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I'll admit that the general norm of the forum seems to me very archaic and kid-friendly and it will take me some time to adjust to it.

Minecraft is a game that appeals to people of all ages, isn't it nice that there's somewhere that younger and older people can all get along? The part of your post that I quoted makes me think that your opinion is that being polite is outdated. Sorry to hear that. (Btw, the current generation didn't invent swearing, just not everybody did it in public places back in ye olden days, and "the internet" is pretty public imho)

Reactions: Antice

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Minecraft is a game that appeals to people of all ages, isn't it nice that there's somewhere that younger and older people can all get along? The part of your post that I quoted makes me think that your opinion is that being polite is outdated. Sorry to hear that. (Btw, the current generation didn't invent swearing, just not everybody did it in public places back in ye olden days, and "the internet" is pretty public imho)

Specifically the bold; It is not at all but polite in this day and time is defined differently than it used to be. Social norms change; kids learn to cuss younger. Kids learn to accept what used to be reserved for people with more years under their belt. This has changed many times in the past back and forth. Trying to stand against such a current is, in my opinion, my logical fallacy and will lead to nothing of any good. The age of maturity(in the sense of knowing things before it used to be acceptable to know) is changing while the age of understanding stays the same if not farther down the line in life. Younger and older people can get along just fine swearing, being obscene, and any other such. Only when it is children below the age of 11-12 should any precautionary measure be taken. Even then young children should be monitored when on a computer and if the parents choose not to they are the ones at fault not where the child was exposed. It is not at all out of place to find it odd that children do act the way. I too find myself doing it even though I'm only 20. This does not mean we should try to change them. The limitation place on the forum is not only a limitation on those who are older but also many of the younger ones.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Specifically the bold; It is not at all but polite in this day and time is defined differently than it used to be. Social norms change; kids learn to cuss younger. Kids learn to accept what used to be reserved for people with more years under their belt. This has changed many times in the past back and forth. Trying to stand against such a current is, in my opinion, my logical fallacy and will lead to nothing of any good. The age of maturity(in the sense of knowing things before it used to be acceptable to know) is changing while the age of understanding stays the same if not farther down the line in life. Younger and older people can get along just fine swearing, being obscene, and any other such. Only when it is children below the age of 11-12 should any precautionary measure be taken. Even then young children should be monitored when on a computer and if the parents choose not to they are the ones at fault not where the child was exposed. It is not at all out of place to find it odd that children do act the way. I too find myself doing it even though I'm only 20. This does not mean we should try to change them. The limitation place on the forum is not only a limitation on those who are older but also many of the younger ones.

I'm not even sure where to start here but i think perhaps consider this.
Swearing is an excellent example of "Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should".

There is a place for swearing but that doesn't mean you should, or should feel entitled, to throw it out wherever you like.

Reactions: Skirty_007

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Only other problem is the number of mini-mods and from what I can tell the lack things done about it. Only thing worse than a forum with a restriction on the way people talk is a forum filled with people that feel above everyone.

Do you mean people that tell people when they are in the wrong forum, such as when someone posts a server promotion a non-server promotion forum, or when someone asks people to stop going off the topic of the thread?

Yeah, I, too, hate it when people try and keep order and reduce the workload for moderators, because, you know, I'm evil.

After having been involved either as an administrator, or moderator on four different forums at this point in my life, I can safely say that people that try and help out (especially when they use the built in report feature, which is extremely useful when you have over ten thousand users).

I am not a moderator, don't really have any desire to be a moderator, and just enjoy helping people out and chatting about MineCraft. I'm glad there are a lot of members willing to help out as well, as I don't often see a forum run so well that you barely see moderators having to moderate. So, good job to the staff on that.

On a more serious note, why did you post this thread in the General FTB chat? This forum is for general chat related to the FTB modpacks, not for general chat in general. You should check out http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/forums/general-discussion.9/ for the General Chat forum in the General section (defined as "Generalised chatter about anything you fancy!").

Colon Dee (type that out, for great justice).

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'm not even sure where to start here but i think perhaps consider this.
Swearing is an excellent example of "Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should".

There is a place for swearing but that doesn't mean you should, or should feel entitled, to throw it out wherever you like.
If you still feel cuss words are offensive; you've fall off the social ball. Cuss words have become what they should have always been; words that allow you to express your feelings.

@Guswut

No. People that actually act like they are a mod. Like their will is what the rules are. I have no problem with people telling someone, "You're not supposed to post here; here are the rules: " etc.

I also did not post this in this section I posted it in site feedback. The moderators decided this wasn't site feedback... so yeah.

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
No. People that actually act like they are a mod. Like their will is what the rules are. I have no problem with people telling someone, "You're not supposed to post here; here are the rules: " etc.

I'm sorry, I must not understand exactly what you mean then, as I don't think I've seen anyone act like that on this board. Especially not ICountFrom0.

I also did not post this in this section I posted it in site feedback. The moderators decided this wasn't site feedback... so yeah.

Oh man, that's cruel and... Strange. I'm surprised it was moved into this forum instead of the general chat. But hey, thanks for at least trying to post it in the forum I'd have said "Yeah, that's the place to put it" if I had known we even HAVE a site feedback forum. Now I'm off to go look at what everyone has to say about the site, whee!

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
If you still feel cuss words are offensive; you've fall off the social ball. Cuss words have become what they should have always been; words that allow you to express your feelings.

I could tell you I don't think you've understood what I said but I think you still wouldn't try.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'm sorry, I must not understand exactly what you mean then, as I don't think I've seen anyone act like that on this board. Especially not ICountFrom0.
Yeah it wasn't directed at him rather the quote I used in the OP summed up my feelings on those people. And I haven't actually seen anyone like that anymore but then again I hardly read this forum now.

I could tell you I don't think you've understood what I said but I think you still wouldn't try.
If you feel there are words that you shouldn't use in certain situations to express yourself then we will never see eye to eye. I feel all words are viable to use at all times. I feel if you can't say a word at any given time you should never be able to say it.