increasing apple yield of a tree?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
I was lead to believe that you could increase the drops from a tree with sengir's tree breeding, but I am not figuring it out! Does anybody know if this is possible? I'd love to have a high yield apple farm with golem harvesters running the show.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I was lead to believe that you could increase the drops from a tree with sengir's tree breeding, but I am not figuring it out! Does anybody know if this is possible? I'd love to have a high yield apple farm with golem harvesters running the show.

Put an oak sapling in the treealyzer (or whatever they call it, I can never remember. It'll be the tool, not the block which is for ComputerCraft) and it will make it into an apple oak sapling which should get more apples.

From there, you'll want to breed trees to increase the output.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a source for Apple Oaks giving more apples by default?

Nope, I do not except for when I made three of them and broke them as I wanted to get some more apple oak saplings, I got a bunch of apples. More than I normally get from a dozen oak trees.

I'll have to do some tests to see if it was chance, or if they do end up netting me more apples. For science!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The other thing to remember is a Forestry farm will automatically treealyze saplings - so putting in vanilla oak trees will yield Oak Apple saplings.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The other thing to remember is a Forestry farm will automatically treealyze saplings - so putting in vanilla oak trees will yield Oak Apple saplings.

Put an oak sapling in the treealyzer (or whatever they call it, I can never remember. It'll be the tool, not the block which is for ComputerCraft) and it will make it into an apple oak sapling which should get more apples.

Didn't I just say that, or am I missing something about what you said? Arg, this is why I shouldn't go to bed past midnight!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You said put it in a treealyser, I said putting it in a forestry farm automatically treealysers it.

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
You said put it in a treealyser, I said putting it in a forestry farm automatically treealysers it.

Ah, right! I see now. That is really good to know, because that won't then cost people a drop of honey, right? If so, then that is a MUCH better way to do it if you aren't doing any sort of bee-related stuff. Thanks!

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Except that even the smallest multiblock farm is way more expensive than a treealyzer :p

As an aside, I just planted and chopped down 64 apple oaks. Let's see how many apples that gives me.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you build a multi farm just to get an Oak sapling to an Apple oak saplings then yer bonkers, if however you already have a multi-block farm .....

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Except that even the smallest multiblock farm is way more expensive than a treealyzer :p

As an aside, I just planted and chopped down 64 apple oaks. Let's see how many apples that gives me.
Well if you build a multi farm just to get an Oak sapling to an Apple oak saplings then yer bonkers, if however you already have a multi-block farm .....

Ah, then disregard my last post as such. I guess I'll need to keep some honey rolling in for such things. So it goes.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
64 vanilla oaks yielded:
- 316 wood
- 162 saplings
- 12 apples

64 forestry apple oaks yielded:
- 288 wood
- 179 saplings
- 72 apples

Okay, while wood and sapling output are well within the expected random variance, there's a really strong indication that apple oaks do in fact have increased apple yield. The sample size is rather smallish with only 64 trees, but if Guswut saw the same then I have no reason to doubt him.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
64 vanilla oaks yielded:
- 316 wood
- 162 saplings
- 12 apples

64 forestry apple oaks yielded:
- 288 wood
- 179 saplings
- 72 apples

Okay, while wood and sapling output are well within the expected random variance, there's a really strong indication that apple oaks do in fact have increased apple yield. The sample size is rather smallish with only 64 trees, but if Guswut saw the same then I have no reason to doubt him.

It is well within the possibility of random chance that my yield of three apple oak trees gave me a bunch of apples, but I'd think it is highly unlikely that sixty four trees of each type would have that drastic a difference, so I would consider it fairly strong evidence to support the theory that apple oak trees make more apples. And the science gets done, and we make a neat gun, for the people who are, still alive.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
The apple oak can be used another way to get even more apples as well.
there is the manual orchard option for the multiblock farms.
instead of harvesting the trees it harvests only fruit. this is where the tree genetics start to have an impact. It is possible to breed a apple tree that has a higher yield.
There are also other fruits to be had, as well as some seed giving ones for seed oil production.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Just because I needed something to help me procrastinate on finally writing my boiler post (yes I am terrible), I did a second set. The one was probably more representative, because I got some huge trees among the regular oaks, an ability which the apple oaks lose. Got significantly more wood and saplings that way, but still a lot less apples.

64 vanilla oaks set 2:
- 441 wood
- 237 saplings
- 20 apples

64 forestry apple oaks set 2:
- 285 wood
- 157 saplings
- 76 apples

Both sets added together:
757 vs. 573 wood
399 vs. 336 saplings
32 vs. 148 apples